The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
otnemem
Uhm, we are in a scathing mood aren't we. Well, if humour won't do it for you let's try and be more helpfully pragmatic then.

Firstly, firms do care an awful lot about the reputation of your institution. Although their seemingly egalitarian admission policies openly state that they will look at the individual and not at the university he/she went to, that is partially true only for traditional red brick universities -- hence, Greenwich doesn't qualify unless, like I said before, you have excellent grades. Even amongst traditional universities there are considerable disparities. Large city firms have an approximate intake of 50% from Oxbridge -- so those geeks at Magdalene college have considerably higher chances of getting a TC than you do, oh omnipotent multi-tasking deity -- with a good chunk of the rest coming from either London's better institutions, i.e. UCL, LSE and King's -- most definitely not Greenwich regardless of how good their sports facilities are -- or the other relatively prestigious faculties of the likes of Nottingham, Durham and Bristol. Hence, if you are even remotely serious about a career in law, you wouldn't consider Kingston, Greenwich or the UEL, as the "only universities in London which would slightly interest you" (Essex being the only remote exception).

In any case, your dismissal of Oxford is quite irritating, if not offensive. You may have decent predictions but not nearly good enough to be even considered for a place - in a way, you are doing nothing but denigrating something you can't reach, not a very noble thing to do.

Also, if you can be bothered to get to Metropolitan University, whose very poor law faculty is located in the very central, and admittedly attractively positioned, Moorgate campus, I really don't see why you couldn't do the same for UCL (Euston -- three stops above Moorgate on the Northern Line) or King's and LSE (Covent Garden). Well, in any case, you probably don't have the requisite grades to go to any of these.

Thirdly, the firms mentioned in my post that you have never heard of are amongst the 6 largest in London (hence England, hence, for most of them anyway, the world). So, once again, if you are even remotely interested in a career in law, I suggest you start learning those names.

A considerably more reasonable option would have been to apply to those (relatively good) institutions that match your predicted grades. On the top of my head, something along the lines of City, yes still in central London, or hell even King's (you may have a chance after all) - thus still giving you a possibility, albeit reduced, to try for the bigger firms, provided you get good degree marks.

Anyway, it's your judgment, it's your life, one can merely advice. Maybe your business enterprise - that you are so keen on embarking upon at the same time as your law degree - will prove to be immensely successful, thus affording you the, somewhat improbable, possibility of giving the finger to all those "geeky" Oxford graduates, struggling to earn a meagre 50k as newly qualified associates in the city.

Exactly you don't have to take the advice here but there is no need to mock it or be dismissive of it.
Reply 21
Onearmedbandit
Spending my gap year working at a small firm won't hurt my chances of working in a major international firm though, will it? :redface:

No. I did my vac placements at regional firms and didn't have any problem getting interviewed by the big MC/ US firms.
Reply 22
Onearmedbandit
Spending my gap year working at a small firm won't hurt my chances of working in a major international firm though, will it? :redface:

Not at all, quite the contrary actually, it's likely to boost your chances - provided that all the other elements are in place. It is "advisable" for you to gain some experience, even in a small firm, before your degree or even during the summer after your first year at uni -- all vacation schemes offered by the big firms are aimed solely at penultimate year students, unless you have connections that is. So your experience at a high-street firm will do nothing but good, unless, of course, the recruitment partner takes a look at their web-site, in which case he would be struck by sudden paralysis by the sheer ugliness, and will be unable to process your application further.
otnemem
Not at all, quite the contrary actually, it's likely to boost your chances - provided that all the other elements are in place. It is "advisable" for you to gain some experience, even in a small firm, before your degree or even during the summer after your first year at uni -- all vacation schemes offered by the big firms are aimed solely at penultimate year students, unless you have connections that is. So your experience at a high-street firm will do nothing but good, unless, of course, the recruitment partner takes a look at their web-site, in which case he would be struck by sudden paralysis by the sheer ugliness, and will be unable to process your application further.

LOL :rofl: I'm sure by that time it'll have been torn down and rebuilt.

If it's not then I'm getting Daz to hack into it and wipe it from cyberspace.
Reply 24
Jinxed- Can I just get this straight? You're deadly serious about becoming a lawyer and there's nothing in the world you'd rather be but, despite this yearning,

-You've never heard of Herbert Smith, Clifford Chance or Linklaters
-You're not willing to go to a Top 20 Uni (which would be the ideal way to get a TC with your desired smaller or "mid-core" firm)
-You're going to do your Law degree in conjunction with a part-time Computing degree whilst running your own business
- You haven't once spelt your supposed first choice Uni correctly.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think I can take you very seriously here.
Reply 25
murakami
Jinxed- Can I just get this straight? You're deadly serious about becoming a lawyer and there's nothing in the world you'd rather be but, despite this yearning,

-You're not willing to go to a Top 20 Uni (which would be the ideal way to get a TC with your desired smaller or "mid-core" firm)
-You're going to do your Law degree in conjunction with a part-time Computing degree whilst running your own business

Yes, I was wondering if this was a bit of a piss-take also. :smile:
Reply 26
otnemem
Uhm, we are in a scathing mood aren't we. Well, if humour won't do it for you let's try and be more helpfully pragmatic then.

Firstly, firms do care an awful lot about the reputation of your institution. Although their seemingly egalitarian admission policies openly state that they will look at the individual and not at the university he/she went to, that is partially true only for traditional red brick universities -- hence, Greenwich doesn't qualify unless, like I said before, you have excellent grades. Even amongst traditional universities there are considerable disparities. Large city firms have an approximate intake of 50% from Oxbridge -- so those geeks at Magdalene college have considerably higher chances of getting a TC than you do, oh omnipotent multi-tasking deity -- with a good chunk of the rest coming from either London's better institutions, i.e. UCL, LSE and King's -- most definitely not Greenwich regardless of how good their sports facilities are -- or the other relatively prestigious faculties of the likes of Nottingham, Durham and Bristol. Hence, if you are even remotely serious about a career in law, you wouldn't consider Kingston, Greenwich or the UEL, as the "only universities in London which would slightly interest you" (Essex being the only remote exception).

In any case, your dismissal of Oxford is quite irritating, if not offensive. You may have decent predictions but not nearly good enough to be even considered for a place - in a way, you are doing nothing but denigrating something you can't reach, not a very noble thing to do.

Also, if you can be bothered to get to Metropolitan University, whose very poor law faculty is located in the very central, and admittedly attractively positioned, Moorgate campus, I really don't see why you couldn't do the same for UCL (Euston -- three stops above Moorgate on the Northern Line) or King's and LSE (Covent Garden). Well, in any case, you probably don't have the requisite grades to go to any of these.

Thirdly, the firms mentioned in my post that you have never heard of are amongst the 6 largest in London (hence England, hence, for most of them anyway, the world). So, once again, if you are even remotely interested in a career in law, I suggest you start learning those names.

A considerably more reasonable option would have been to apply to those (relatively good) institutions that match your predicted grades. On the top of my head, something along the lines of City, yes still in central London, or hell even King's (you may have a chance after all) - thus still giving you a possibility, albeit reduced, to try for the bigger firms, provided you get good degree marks.

Anyway, it's your judgment, it's your life, one can merely advice. Maybe your business enterprise - that you are so keen on embarking upon at the same time as your law degree - will prove to be immensely successful, thus affording you the, somewhat improbable, possibility of giving the finger to all those "geeky" Oxford graduates, struggling to earn a meagre 50k as newly qualified associates in the city.

I am very intrested in law but why should my intrest come at a price? I am in london, Iive in london and I don't see why I should move to oxford or travel there everyday for a degree I can get locally. Lol and don't say I can't get into oxford, I can easily.. considering the fact I have a GNVQ advanced computing and a HNC in computing and 4 A levels predicted 2 B's and 2 A's (I will get a min of 3 A's, I know I will) I can get into oxford easily if I thought they where worth the hassle, but frankly they are not.

I actually just looked @ METU and found that it wasn't what I first thought my opinions of it was, it's been crossed of my list.

Just because I don't know names of the big firms and set my standards as high as that doesn't prove at all my ambition to be a solicitor. I have no intention of applying for big firms therefore I have no intention of caring that they exist.
Reply 27
murakami

No I haven't, I stated 4 times so far I couldn't care less about these big firms, surprising isn't it?

I'll go a university which intrestes me, not my employers.

Well I ran my own business when I was 17-19 and did pretty well while doing my GNVQ advanced, I don't see any problem with doing it again espcially since I have more help this time.

You have some issues of you just posted to tell me that I added a "h" in greenwhich university and tend to like the way I spell it, I don't see myself getting sued, do you?
Jinxed

I am very intrested in law but why should my intrest come at a price? I am in london, Iive in london and I don't see why I should move to oxford or travel there everyday for a degree I can get locally. Lol and don't say I can't get into oxford, I can easily.. considering the fact I have a GNVQ advanced computing and a HNC in computing and 4 A levels predicted 2 B's and 2 A's (I will get a min of 3 A's, I know I will) I can get into oxford easily if I thought they where worth the hassle, but frankly they are not.

I actually just looked @ METU and found that it wasn't what I first thought my opinions of it was, it's been crossed of my list.

Just because I don't know names of the big firms and set my standards as high as that doesn't prove at all my ambition to be a solicitor. I have no intention of applying for big firms therefore I have no intention of caring that they exist.

Maybe if you weren't being so pretentious and listened to people they'd be more polite to you. People aren't saying you have to go to Oxford to get a good job, they've made suggestions like City and possibly Kings, both in London. And also your assumption that you would get into Oxford makes you look pretentious, and uninformed, AABB predictions will pale in comparison to the string of AAAA predicted candidates for Law in Oxford, and a GNVQ in Computing probably doesn't hold as much weight as you think in the admissions departments of the likes of Magdalen College and Christ Church.
You seem to come across as very snobbish, as if you are looking down your nose at everyone on here. To be honest your qualifications arn't that impressive or particularly amazing and you really don't appear to be the type of person Oxford would accept even if you did want to go there.

I don't think you stand much hope of even getting a TC with a small firm with an attitude like yours.
Jinxed

I'll go a university which intrestes me, not my employers.

So, in your eyes, what does Greenwich have that say City doesn't?
Reply 31
ForeverDecember
Maybe if you weren't being so pretentious and listened to people they'd be more polite to you. People aren't saying you have to go to Oxford to get a good job, they've made suggestions like City and possibly Kings, both in London. And also your assumption that you would get into Oxford makes you look pretentious, and uninformed, AABB predictions will pale in comparison to the string of AAAA predicted candidates for Law in Oxford, and a GNVQ in Computing probably doesn't hold as much weight as you think in the admissions departments of the likes of Magdalen College and Christ Church.

Considering the fact I know someone who went to oxford with only 3 A's, 4 A levels @ 3 A's and 1 B puts me right in there. The merit (BB) I got in the advanced is worth 240 or so ucas points alone.
Reply 32
LuverlyLawyer
You seem to come across as very snobbish, as if you are looking down your nose at everyone on here. To be honest your qualifications arn't that impressive or particularly amazing and you really don't appear to be the type of person Oxford would accept even if you did want to go there.

I don't think you stand much hope of even getting a TC with a small firm with an attitude like yours.

Actually I think the people here are being more snobish then me just because I wouldn't do what they would do if they are in my shoes.
Reply 33
ForeverDecember
So, in your eyes, what does Greenwich have that say City doesn't?

I've never looked at the university so I wouldn't know but you guys have changed my mind a little and I am checking out more wide area of university's inside london.
Reply 34
Jinxed
Considering the fact I know someone who went to oxford with only 3 A's, 4 A levels @ 3 A's and 1 B puts me right in there. The merit (BB) I got in the advanced is worth 240 or so ucas points alone.

It isn't about points or grades after a certain point...

Interviews are used to determine suitability for the course. A trillion UCAS points doesn't.

Dreama xxxxx
Reply 35
Dreama
It isn't about points or grades after a certain point...

Interviews are used to determine suitability for the course. A trillion UCAS points doesn't.

Dreama xxxxx

I am suitable for any law course anywhere, I just choose my local one and not a prestige top 10 university.
Reply 36
Jinxed

Honestly, you must be taking the piss. Apart from the dubious nature of your past/present and hell even future achievements -- dubious I say because of a. the copious amount and, more influenially, b. because you so openly gloat about them -- you are not very well informed.

Even assuming that you do get 3As and that we are in a Wonderland where Oxford is not worth the hassle and it's either London or nothing, I have mentioned 4 London institutions, at least three of which enjoy enviable reputation. UCL, LSE and King's are all in central London, you tit, and since you are so certain of getting brilliant grades at A-Level (the first two require AAA and Kings AAB), it wouldn't have cost anything to apply to them instead of Greenwich, Metropolitan, Krakatoa Poly and the university of Timbuktu and you would still be in relatively close to your "pad at home" wherever that may be, with the only, somewhat unimportant to you, upshot of being in an immensely more prestigious institution, which would, in any case, give more credibility to your first class --since you appear to see the future through such optimisitc lenses -- degree.
Reply 37
otnemem
Honestly, you must be taking the piss. Apart from the dubious nature of your past/present and hell even future achievements -- dubious I say because of a. the copious amount and, more influenially, b. because you so openly gloat about them -- you are not very well informed.

Even assuming that you do get 3As and that we are in a Wonderland where Oxford is not worth the hassle and it's either London or nothing, I have mentioned 4 London institutions, at least three of which enjoy enviable reputation. UCL, LSE and King's are all in central London, you tit, and since you are so certain of getting brilliant grades at A-Level (the first two require AAA and Kings AAB), it wouldn't have cost anything to apply to them instead of Greenwich, Metropolitan, Krakatoa Poly and the university of Timbuktu and you would still be in relatively close to your "pad at home" wherever that may be, with the only, somewhat unimportant to you, upshot of being in an immensely more prestigious institution, which would, in any case, give more credibility to your first class --since you appear to see the future through such optimisitc lenses -- degree.

I understand what you're saying but most likly greenw(h)ich will be my choice. I understand where alot of you are coming from and sorry if I caused anyone any agrow. I am looking at hertfordshire right now, I know I have the option to go to these better university's but it's hard to explain why I don't want to.

Thanks for comments everyone.
Reply 38
Jinxed
I am suitable for any law course anywhere, I just choose my local one and not a prestige top 10 university.

If you read my post I didn't actually say, or imply, otherwise.
Reply 39
We'll treat this like a judicial review case :P. We can't change policy but I think it's irrational :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending