The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

timetokill
I cant believe peoples parents actually buy their kids stuff based on how many As the get and so on. That seems so ridiculous to me.

I was pleased enough to get my As for myself, because it meant that I had done well for me and got a good grade. How things have changed.

Well said. My results were outstanding, but I never received anything from my parents, and neither did I ask for anything. I don't like that culture of giving people material incentives for achieving grades. For me, it was my future at stake, and that's what drove me to do well, not TWO HUNDRED QUID PER C GRADE like a couple of chavs I overheard talking a while back.

I'm not saying I'm against financial rewards - I'd love some, millions, but from an employer, when I have achieved something... NOT from a parent.
I got a dress... and I was really happy too, getting good enough grades AND a new dress on one day! I would have combusted with excitement had I got a MacBook too... :\
Reply 82
£75 for an A* (which i am not going to get)
£50 for an A
£30 for a B
£25 for a C

My dad also told me I can get something from tiffany's if I get all my predicted grades.
Reply 83
I got... Nothing :smile: but my younger brothers and sis get presents for doing well in SATs and ****! :frown:
Reply 84
Gimothy
Who's happier, the kid with an array of A*s/As or the kid with equally laudable grades and several hundreds of pounds?

This isn't rocket science.

It's really not that clear cut. Cbf to repeat myself, read my posts on the previous pages.
Reply 85
Apfel
It's really not that clear cut. Cbf to repeat myself, read my posts on the previous pages.

I'd rather go make a sandwich, but I'm sure they were terribly thought-provoking.
Reply 86
Apfel
I don't know why I come onto these threads when they just end up irritating me. :p:

THIS
:no: Nothing other than a "we're really proud of you" from mum and dad, not that I expect much more. My sister (in year 7) is praised more for her Bs than I am for A*s.

Some of my friends have been getting money for exam results since year 7, and their promised amount for each grade increases each year. Saying this, I did get a laptop for Christmas which is supposed to be (:rolleyes:) giving me the opportunity to do homework in my room instead of fighting for computer time with my sister. I have a feeling that was a pre-exam thing so I didn't have to be given anything afterwards.
I got £20, which I wasn't expecting or anything. I think it was just a nice well done gesture, but I was happy enough with the results I got tbh.
gozatron
Wow.. Just Wow.

If i got 100 Pound i would be delighted. But 12000!!!
I wouldnt know what to do!?!?!

Save it for uni? :yep:
Reply 90
englishman129
800 quid SLR cam or mac bookair pro. - I duno what I have to get...but rents would like 8 a* even though I'm hoping for 10.

which council estate do you live on again?

i'm getting a Hummer H3 if i get C or better in the english, maths and science.
Reply 91
Introverted moron
Save it for uni? :yep:

Nah i'm not going uni, so nice little spending spree would
be good :smile:
I got nothing. . My friend got £500. . I mean. . WTF? lol
Palladio
Don't know why any gift would be spoiling the child... it's an achievement they've been working on for 5 years. Sure it's not Christmas or Easter, but if a parent wants to reward their child for doing well with something big, it's noones place to call the child spoilt for getting good grades.

--

I like the idea for £X attached to each grade, though my parents thought £5 for each a*. :/

Yea but the sums of money are just absurd! It's ridiculous. . I was just happy I got A's. Why grumble at a fiver? It's not about the money
Reply 94
starsdream2
A 1967 Chevrolet Imapala
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NUMBERS-MATCHING-1967-CHEVROLET-IMPALA-SS-FASTBACK_W0QQitemZ280361895395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4146df05e3&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A317%7C240%3A1308#ebayphotohosting :cool:

In my dreams....:p:

I don't think i'll be getting anything special but apparently if I do well in my A-levels and save up half for that car my parents will stump up the other half....again this is never going to happen. :frown:

yeah.... :s-smilie: that's not a car a girl should drive.
Well thats a good question i dont know probably a family holiday ....

I do some part time work @ weekends anywai ...

plus rest of ma time is taken up by dog walking ... nd voluntary radio ...

a very tricky question :smile:
Diaz89
yeah.... :s-smilie: that's not a car a girl should drive.

at the end of the day tho ...

Its just exams what makes life good is the way you choose 2 live it :smile:

If you want a car really badly my best advice is 2 save up do the theory test nd then apply for a job that pays during your spare time ...
Reply 97
timetokill
I cant believe peoples parents actually buy their kids stuff based on how many As the get and so on. That seems so ridiculous to me.

I was pleased enough to get my As for myself, because it meant that I had done well for me and got a good grade. How things have changed.

I totally agree. You must be pretty spoilt to get hundreds of pounds or expensive electronic gadgets for doing well in your GCSEs. It's pretty childish to need big immediate rewards for putting effort in; isn't succeeding and improving your future prospects incentive enough? I hate teenagers who need their parents to tell them what to do and how hard to work- do things because you want to, not because mummy and daddy say they'll take you to Disneyland!
A pat on the back and tbfh thats what I am happy with.

Peoples parents who buy them amazing gifts for completing compulsary education are really quite idiotic.
5 A*s 6As for zero presents
dude the relief was better than any present I can think of

Latest