The Student Room Group

using pill to avoid having period during exams

I've been on the pill for about 2 months, and have had no problems. so, i thought that during exam time, i could take the next pack without a break, and avoid having a period completely, and then carry on as normal after that. it would just be one less thing to worry about! when i went to the nurse to get the pill, she said, it was ok to do that... just wondered if anyone else has done this. Any comments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Errr, are your periods that bad? Tripos isn't that extreme that you need to **** your body around to take them...

Seems unnatural, but then some women do have bad periods which could be very distracting. I'm a guy, I don't know why I'm commenting, probably because no one else has :confused:

/me runs away from thread

A.
Reply 2
Up to 3 at a time is ok, and is sometimes used to treat heavy periods, so they only occur less frequently. I wouldn't do it too often though. Personally they don't bother me enough for me to want to stop them for exams - far more important that it's not there for May Week! *checks diary* oh $%&&**&
I used to do it quite often when I was on the pill - my doctor said that as long as I had two or more periods a year it was quite harmless.
thing is, my periods used to be so light i hardly noticed them, but now i'm on the pill, they are actually heavier, and are a bit annoying. theyre not too bad, really - i think its the amount people normally get, but its more than i am used to.
no tripos isn't that bad lol, but during a 3 hour exam, with the amount of bleeding i get, it could be uncomfortable.
and yeah, if i get it right, i can avoid it during may week too! woohoo!
Reply 5
I took the pill for 6 moths solid and it didnt do me any harm. I had a new boyfriend and didnt want to have a period.
Reply 6
My doctor said you can run packs together anything up to 6 times a year so I wouldnt worry if I were you should be ok x
Reply 7
I generally run on once a year - for exams..

although I'm obviously not as lucky as Helen & you, in that my original reason for prescription was solely to deal with the pain & pre-pill they would have been quite a barrier to being able to sit still in a warm room & concentrate & perform well in an exam paper in between running out to vomit & generally feeling lousy & cranky! & I'm still slightly too scared to risk it again.. :redface:

I think the packets do say you may get some breakthrough "spotting" as you run on, so worth being aware of that..

but other than that. :smile:
Elles
I generally run on once a year - for exams..

although I'm obviously not as lucky as Helen & you, in that my original reason for prescription was solely to deal with the pain & pre-pill they would have been quite a barrier to being able to sit still in a warm room & concentrate & perform well in an exam paper in between running out to vomit & generally feeling lousy & cranky! & I'm still slightly too scared to risk it again.. :redface:

I think the packets do say you may get some breakthrough "spotting" as you run on, so worth being aware of that..

but other than that. :smile:

I was thinking of running two packs together for holiday as i would be on then. how heavy would the spotting be & does anyone know if this happens to ppl on microgynon (sp?)
Reply 9
_mad_moo_
I was thinking of running two packs together for holiday as i would be on then. how heavy would the spotting be & does anyone know if this happens to ppl on microgynon (sp?)

When I was on microgynon I did it loads of times and I never spotted :smile: I think it's just a thing that *might* happen, I personally wouldn't worry..
Reply 10
F. Poste
I think it's just a thing that *might* happen, I personally wouldn't worry..

as Kate said.. i just mentioned it because all the pills I'm aware of (apart from perhaps Seasonale - because they're specifically designed to be run on?) mention "spotting" as something that may occur - but the term implies it's very light..

tis never happened to me, so as others have said i think it's unlikely.. but something to be aware of, so you don't complete freak out if it does.. :wink:
cool, so would the spotting be really light, as in do u still have to wear stuff. if so i dont really see the point of running packs together
Reply 12
i do it all the time. have maybe 3 periods a year. hate them

it's generally okay but when you get to the third/fourth packet, your body *really* wants to have a period so if you forget to take it, you get a period straight away. which is really annoying.
ive been on the pill over a year now. ive run two packs together. but not 3.. a couple of my friends run 3 together and it really ****ed them up, they got all depressed plus they had loads of breakthrough bleeding. its deffo safe to run two together though , i just have :smile: i personally wouldnt risk 3 but some people have no problems.
Reply 14
Alaric
Errr, are your periods that bad? Tripos isn't that extreme that you need to **** your body around to take them...

Seems unnatural, but then some women do have bad periods which could be very distracting. I'm a guy, I don't know why I'm commenting, probably because no one else has :confused:

/me runs away from thread

A.

Keep running :mad: :rolleyes:
Reply 15
ooh, thanks for highlighting that, Sarky..

Alaric

I'd have found having to leave the room fairly frequently to be sick quite distracting to be honest :rolleyes: .. not to mention general pain/ache that painkillers seemed to do little for.

do you think taking hormonal contraception is an irresponsible messing up of your body in general then? :confused: in which case I would hope you're a guru of effective condom usage + possess some luck, given the pill generally found to be more effective as a contraceptive. :wink:
Reply 16
Elles
ooh, thanks for highlighting that, Sarky..

I'd have found having to leave the room fairly frequently to be sick quite distracting to be honest :rolleyes: .. not to mention general pain/ache that painkillers seemed to do little for.

do you think taking hormonal contraception is an irresponsible messing up of your body in general then? :confused: in which case I would hope you're a guru of effective condom usage + possess some luck, given the pill generally found to be more effective as a contraceptive. :wink:

I went on the pill when i was 15 because my periods were so bad i couldn't get out of bed. The pain from stomach cramps is excruiating and mine come in waves, like every 4/5 minutes similar to contractions that people have in labour (although nowhere near as painful).
Reply 17
Sarky
I went on the pill when i was 15 because my periods were so bad i couldn't get out of bed. The pain from stomach cramps is excruiating and mine come in waves, like every 4/5 minutes similar to contractions that people have in labour (although nowhere near as painful).

I had that at one point. On really bad periods I sometimes still get it on the second and third day. So I sympathise totally.
scarlet ibis
I've been on the pill for about 2 months, and have had no problems. so, i thought that during exam time, i could take the next pack without a break, and avoid having a period completely, and then carry on as normal after that. it would just be one less thing to worry about! when i went to the nurse to get the pill, she said, it was ok to do that... just wondered if anyone else has done this. Any comments?

Yeah i did that, for my music practical, i had so much on my mind i just thought i could really do with the added stress of PMS so i just carried on taking the pill, then when back to my normal routine. I didn't have any problems. I'd do it again if i thought in necessary. That is one advantage of being on the pill, being able to control your periods.
scarlet ibis

I did, for my GCSEs, and it was fine :smile: tis a good idea especially if you're heavy as it's a pain during exams.

Latest