The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isometrix
Haha when did I post that?!?! I can't even remember.

I do recall King's using academics (GCSEs mainly) and UKCAT for interviews, and that a higher number of A*s could offset a slightly lower UKCAT. But then again this was at least 3-4 years ago :tongue:

Sorry! haha it was from the beginning of this thread! :biggrin:

She only got 3A*, 7A and 1B though. I think a lot of people on here speculate too much really. Unless it says on the medical schools' website, you guys don't know any better. :smile:
Can I ask is 630 a bad score? I know that the average last year was 620, but it seems a little depressing that other people have such a high score! I know lots of unis are already out of my range now, but I did igcses, and got 5A* in chemistry, biology, mandarin chinese, math, and economics and As in physics and English. Little afraid that since I have not done millions of GCSEs that I would be counted. (igcses have a whole final exam, no coursework). Would there be any possible chance to go to any medical school?? :frown:
I'm just saying that I'm not sure Dundee is such a safe option. I was at the open day a few days ago, and they made it very clear that pre-interview is all academic qualifications/UKCAT, no personal statement involved (60% exams to 40% UKCAT iirc) and since everyone has 3/5A's interview selectioni invariably comes down to the highest ranked UKCAT scores.
This needs to be updated a little :teehee: What constitues as a "bad" score :frown:
*waves* I got an average of 607.5, wanted to go to Glasgow but thats out (I will still apply).

I'm still holding out for some devine intervention of some sort lol
Reply 1185
Original post by FluffyTutu
*waves* I got an average of 607.5, wanted to go to Glasgow but thats out (I will still apply).

I'm still holding out for some devine intervention of some sort lol

why would you knowingly throw away a choice :eek: ?
I'm limited to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St.Andrews anyway, so its not throwing away a choice.

Basically, my son is under Yorkhill for kidney stuff, currently we live 1 hour south of Glasgow, if we were to move 1 hour any other direction of Glasgow, we would be within 1hour15mins of Dundee and St.Andrews and still be under Yorkhill for medical stuff.
Reply 1187
Original post by FluffyTutu
I'm limited to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St.Andrews anyway, so its not throwing away a choice.

Basically, my son is under Yorkhill for kidney stuff, currently we live 1 hour south of Glasgow, if we were to move 1 hour any other direction of Glasgow, we would be within 1hour15mins of Dundee and St.Andrews and still be under Yorkhill for medical stuff.

Well best of luck with the rest of your choices then:smile:
Thanks to whoever made this thread. Seriously feel better knowing that other people are on the same boat as me :frown:
Original post by Fallingstars
Can I ask is 630 a bad score? I know that the average last year was 620, but it seems a little depressing that other people have such a high score! I know lots of unis are already out of my range now, but I did igcses, and got 5A* in chemistry, biology, mandarin chinese, math, and economics and As in physics and English. Little afraid that since I have not done millions of GCSEs that I would be counted. (igcses have a whole final exam, no coursework). Would there be any possible chance to go to any medical school?? :frown:

I got 630 too :frown: I'm an international student, which worsens my chances. Would really appreciate a reply on whether this is a bad score or not..
Fallingstars

TamaraN_Ali
I got 630 too :frown: I'm an international student, which worsens my chances. Would really appreciate a reply on whether this is a bad score or not..

HYMS would be a good option for both of you. I achieved 597.5, yet secured an offer for it. I also know someone who had around 640 UKCAT and was an international applicant, yet she secured an offer and is now in her final year there. :smile:

As far as iGCSEs are concerned, I'm not entirely sure. I'd advise you to email/phone individual universities and check out their websites, they'll have relevant information there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1191
Hey, I need some help? I got an average of 620 and so confused as to where I can apply, so far I've got Bristol and Hull York. I have no idea or options on a 3rd and 4th.
Reply 1192
Original post by Satta101
Hey, I need some help? I got an average of 620 and so confused as to where I can apply, so far I've got Bristol and Hull York. I have no idea or options on a 3rd and 4th.

Have you considered
UEA
Keele
Liverpool
Lancaster
Reply 1193
Original post by myyrh
Have you considered
UEA
Keele
Liverpool
Lancaster

UEA - yes, I can't because they don't like the maths/further maths combo
Keele - yes, I'm not sure on their UKCAT weighting, will email them soon.
Liverpool - I heard they have a tough selection process in which basically I dont have a chance.
Lancaster - possible, I'll check them out.
Reply 1194
Original post by Satta101
UEA - yes, I can't because they don't like the maths/further maths combo
Keele - yes, I'm not sure on their UKCAT weighting, will email them soon.
Liverpool - I heard they have a tough selection process in which basically I dont have a chance.
Lancaster - possible, I'll check them out.

Liverpool and Lancaster both have the same admissions process. The selection process is just first scoring GCSE grades (in which case you would have 18/18)
Then interviewing applicants based on personal statement so it's pretty standard as selection processes go.
Reply 1195
Original post by myyrh
Liverpool and Lancaster both have the same admissions process. The selection process is just first scoring GCSE grades (in which case you would have 18/18)
Then interviewing applicants based on personal statement so it's pretty standard as selection processes go.

Ah ok, I think I was confusing liverpool for Leicester. But thanks! :smile:
I have an average of 745 ( conmprised of 790,790,770,630) so can I apply to kings ? I want to go there but people say its too hard etc.
Original post by kiranishere
I have an average of 745 ( conmprised of 790,790,770,630) so can I apply to kings ? I want to go there but people say its too hard etc.

You sure can! That's a very high score, you can apply to most places.
Reply 1198
Hi everyone,

did my ukcat today and scored average 625 which I am quite happy with as i think it's the best I could have done. I know it's not an amazing score my any standard but do you think my options of cardiff, southampton, leicester, leeds, liverpool are realistic for my score? I have 6A*s 4As an a B at GCSE and AAAB (B in chem) at AS level. thanks a lot!
Reply 1199
Original post by exammms!
Hi everyone,

did my ukcat today and scored average 625 which I am quite happy with as i think it's the best I could have done. I know it's not an amazing score my any standard but do you think my options of cardiff, southampton, leicester, leeds, liverpool are realistic for my score? I have 6A*s 4As an a B at GCSE and AAAB (B in chem) at AS level. thanks a lot!

Well Liverpool don't look at UKCAT so you're fine for them. Scores are fine for the others but Leicester might be a bit risky because they score the UKCAT so those with a higher score would get more points.

Latest

Trending

Trending