The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No where, we didnt exist.
Reply 81
i always think it's weird that while you didn't exist, things that we now learn about in history were actually happening... like napoleon or the ancient egyptians or even the dinosaurs or the creation of the universe... and it was so long ago and it's a long time to wait, but now suddenly we are alive here like we didn't have to wait that long... i can't really explain it but it just feels weird to me. and then when we die it doesn't matter whether things happen in 10 years or 1 million years it will probably be the same time frame for us because you are dead... i can't explain it! it will just HAPPEN.
Reply 82
Original post by Marc707
Sorry how do you know we 'cease to exist' after death. Sure, our bodies decompose, but that may not necessarily be the case with the soul, presuming one believes in it.

I don't know it, it's just that I have no reason to believe anything else happens.
Reply 83
I think the soul is just a poetic name for some poorly understood bits of the mind, particularly those to do with identity and emotion. It forms over time as the central nervous system starts up before you're born, and fades away when your central nervous system finally shuts down.

But if you want a nice concept to fill the gap...

According to common descent the first life began on Earth around three billion years ago, and all living things now descend from it. But since biological processes continue uninterrupted even during cell replication, that means the processes of life in every cell of every living thing on the planet have been running continuously for all that time. So in a sense, all life is just one big never-ending life.
Original post by bori28601

The difference between humans and animals is that animals don't have a soul and humans do.

Why? What level of cognitive development gives one a soul?
Why is this even a tough question?
Reply 86
Original post by Biggillystyle
OK, I know physically we are genetic material in the from of our fathers sperm and mothers egg etc. but as a soul or a person where are we? Like years before we are ever born are we just not there? Its a strange thing to think about and has made me think alot recently.

For instance, does it not seem a bit weird that we seem to spontaneously appear out of nowhere as this thing that is able to think and feel emotions? This got me thinking, Is it the same process in reverse when we die (people who do not believe in the afterlife may believe this) Do we just dissappear forever on a spirtitual level as we did so easily enter the world? Scientificaly our bodies are broken down and decompose by bacteria, but as a person where do we go? I know its pretty heavy stuff to think about but just wanted to know what your opinions where and if you have anything to say on the matter.

Excellent question (will give it a thumbs up next time :P), and the identical one I've been wondering about since I was in elementary school.
Obviously, even the best (or most appealing?) answer is just a good guess. No one knows.
All I can say is, when I think about it too hard and too deeply, I not only get panicky and scared, but it feels like I'm losing the ground beneath my feet.
What IS nothing, really?
When Marilyn Monroe was a star (just an arbitrary example) and people adored her on the screens, where was I? What was I?
If I was the only person in the world now, nobody could really prove to me these things that happened before I was born actually happened and were there - I wasn't there to see them. For all I know, the world began the day I was born; I'd go as far as to say it started even later, when some degree of consciousness within me was sufficiently developed to know I was here, and this is me.
So these times before me ... it's just eerie. When you pinpoint a famous historical event - like the opening of Auschwitz or whatever - it is a little scary to imagine where you were at that moment. Not on a physical level, clearly.
But you get what I'm saying.

I'd love it if at least ONE person knew the answer. :hmmmm2:
Reply 87
Original post by Rizzletastic
Why is this even a tough question?

You may not even realize it but I assure you that you have tough of were will you go when you die. If you think where did you come from then you might be able to understand why this person is wondering such question. Its real sad to see people only look at life in a form of science. Science cant always explain everything.
I heard we're all in Strathpeffer in Scotland...might be wrong though
Reply 89
Original post by Vivisteiner
Apparently I was a twinkle in my father's eye. Which probably means that even further back I was the twinkle of a twinkle in my grandfather's eye. And since evolution has taken its course it means I was once just the tiniest twinkle in the eye of a big, ape-like creature. My only question is this; what was I twinkling in before eyes were evolved?

Patches of photosensitive cells. I find the evolution of the eye fascinating, and I can kind of understand why creationists cite it as an example of "intelligent design".
Reply 90
Have you ever seen a tv show called the smoking room?

It's basically that, until you are dragged to go back to work (born) then you die again (back to the smoking room) oh my god this gives me an idea for a tv show.

Latest

Trending

Trending