The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Hard!
• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Some of them yes :smile:
• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? For some subjects yea, while for some...not really which is why i dropped maths at A2 :frown:
• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2 were more challenging then AS
• What was your hardest subject? Physics/Chemistry
• What was your easiest subject? Art
• Do you wish you picked other subjects? Yea - i wanted to do Philosophy/Psychology/ Eng. Lang.
• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? No
• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? For most of it yes.
• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? I hope so :smile:
• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. The last couple of weeks before the final exams were crucial yet hard. I am glad i went through that phase well...Now i just hope all the hard work has paid off :smile:
Reply 61
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
i found RS really hard at GCSE but still chose it for A level, and found it alot harder.
Classics was really hard - didnt do it at GCSE as it wasnt offerd.

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
all were reasenbly enjoyable but some teachers coud have made them more fun.

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
teachers were alot more supportive, was given alot of extra support in all my subjects, more than i had at gcse, however there was a big push towords indepedent lerning.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
AS modules were better for RS.
Politics AS was better
Classics A2 was better but alot harder

What was your hardest subject?
classics but they were all hard

What was your easiest subject?
urm i dont think there was an easyest.

Do you wish you picked other subjects?
no

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
nope, i dropped 2 AS's and so only did 2 A2s then did another AS

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
yep

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
yep

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
no
Reply 62
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
i thought they would be hard and they were!!
i guess so... well not so much ICT i hated every second of it but the other subjects yes
Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
more so. they would do anything to help which was really nice:smile:
i found A2 a lot harder... but i enjoyed it more i think. i dropped Further Maths at the end of AS and i think that is why i enjoyed A2 more, i didn't feel like i was doing Maths 24/7!
Further Maths... i dropped it at the end of AS... i did get a B though shockingly... i quit whilst i was ahead haha!! it was the mechanics if i'm honest though.... argh
Business Studies though i also found it the most interesting, so i don't know if that made it appear easier...
yes... i wish i had picked Physics instead of ICT.... ICT would have been okay without the horrendous coursework and silly markschemes... so basically all of it!! ah well done now :smile:
i sometimes wondered if i should have carried on Further Maths and dropped ICT as i enjoyed Further Maths more... but i don't think i would have coped with the difficulty... it was a head over heart decision!
Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
yes... i used the majority of my frees to do my work in... which left maximum time to have fun out of school hours!
Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
NO... but i'm sure i will be fine... i never feel "ready" for the next step!
Overall, i enjoyed the two years... yeah i think i'd do it again
Reply 63
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Harder. I don't really think I had any expectations of the difficulty in year 11, I don't think I thought about it, it was just something I had to do.
Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Umm, so-so. I didn't enjoy them all the time, sometimes I hated them, but I did enjoy some parts of it and I found some of it interesting, I think the only reason I didn't enjoy it was the immense number of exams stressing me out.
Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? I had pretty bad GCSE teachers on the whole, and they thought I was hopeless and weren't really supportive. I left that school for A-level, went to a college and the teachers were excellent, couldn't ask for more support from some of them. They'll be getting huge thank yous from me on results day, no matter what results I get.
Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? The first modules of AS were probably my favourite just because it was a new and exciting thing and stimulated me and you find yourself re-using the facts from the first modules throughout the rest of the A-levels so it doesn't seem as exciting and the novelty had worn off. But on the whole, some of the A2 modules were the most relevant and stimulating, though some of it didn't seem relevant at all. For example, the synoptic exams just seemed ridiculous to me, it was as though they were trying to trip us up rather than view our knowledge, and they were by far the least interesting modules.
What was your hardest subject? I don't know really, it's very hard to say. Chemistry was my only B out of a string of As at AS so I could, in some ways, say that was the hardest, however whilst English points wise was one of my strongest subjects I found it the hardest to do consistently well in and feel that the exams were all about luck in which questions I got. It was the hardest in terms of revision, certainly. Also, Biology was hard to memorise all the facts, maths had hard subject matter. I'd say it depended on the module.
What was your easiest subject? As above.
Do you wish you picked other subjects? Sometimes I kind of wished I took Physics for some strange reasons, or further maths, instead of english. Maybe Psychology. But those were mainly when I was having a headache struggling with the subjects I chose, overall, I couldn't have made better choices I don't think. It worked out pretty perfectly.
Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Sometimes I wished I didn't take 4 subjects and wished I'd dropped maths or english, but it's likely I'd have dropped english and I think that would have been a mistake because I needed the least marks to get an A in english by the final exams and I found maths a bit impossible, so I might have missed my offer if I dropped english. It also gave me insight into different skills and different areas of study and often I enjoyed it, and I think it was one of the reasons I got into university as they give a bit of preference to those with contrasting subjects.
Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Not really no. I worked all day on Saturdays too and for the majority of A2 I went to the hospice all day every other sunday so it didn't give me much leeway. I also got home very late from college because I lived a long way from it and would be tired when I got back so it was a bit difficult to do anything else, considering I liked to do as much revision as I could every week as well as homework. I liked to work hard though and I'm having a good summer so that bit of pain will be worth what I hope will be good results.
Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? I hope so. I feel I've grown in confidence and I no longer feel as though I'm inferior to others in terms of academia, which I felt like with my GCSEs. I also feel as though I've developed good skills in independent learning and an enthusiasm for the subject I'll be studying at university. So I say bring on the challenge, I'm looking forward to learning new things. :smile:
Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. Fingers crossed for my results and everyone elses. Hope we all get what we need.
Reply 64
Just finished AS, but what the hell:

Yeah, they were pretty much what I expected, some easier.

Eh, as enjoyable as any school subject can be (read: mildly).

It was exactly the same in most cases, as it depends on the teacher I only had one the same.

Well, obviously I can't say, but I'm expecting American Politics at A2 to be more interesting than Northern Irish politics at AS. At this point, nothing could be worse.

History of Art: it wasn't really that hard in itself, just that Modernism made me irrationally angry and it was extremely hard to focus on the work (hence why I think I'm getting a B! :frown: )

French: complete doss apart from the Oral exam, as always.

Sort of, but then I think I would have moaned about them anyway!

I hope not!

Yeah, in fact I had more time than GCSE; less subjects equals less work to do and all that.

I suppose...

Not as hard as they were sold to me. Just hope that doesn't change at A2!
Reply 65
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? WAYYY harder
Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? not at all
Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? not really
Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? AS probs
What was your hardest subject? Physics, duh
What was your easiest subject? German
Do you wish you picked other subjects? Kinda, just as long as it wasnt physics
Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Physics, but then i'd have to do maths, so no
Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? haha no
Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? if i get there, yea
Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. Hated the whole 2 years =[
Reply 66
German was horrendously difficult at AS. Easierish at A2, but I probably put less effort in...:confused: French was about what I expected. History...I found relatively easy at AS and make-you-want-to-cry-yourself-to-sleep-at-night difficult at A2. I definitely underestimated that one..! English I was so not confident about after GCSE (pred A* got B but A after remark) and didn't regain that confidence until year 13.
Nope...they were bloody hard work!
In places...:p: I had an awesome English teacher, great history teachers and two fantastic languages teachers. I also had an English teacher who forgot to teach 75% of our synoptic module (he only read one of the books concerned!) and a German teacher who gave me so much work to do I wanted to scream every thursday afternoon. But then, if I get an A in German, I have her to thank!
On the whole, A2 modules. More challenging, and really interesting at times. History in particular (ignoring that god awful Chamberlain module :p:)
German at AS, History at A2.
French :biggrin:
I'd have liked to have taken Philosophy but I wouldn't change any of the subjects I did pick for it. And I'd never have chosen five.
I probably should have dropped something :p: but hey ho. I'm hoping for AABB so as long as I get that, I won't regret doing all 4.
No...:o: But I think I've changed a lot during Sixth Form. I'm glad I didn't have the most amazing social life ever in the last two years, cause it means I've still got that to come :biggrin:
Definitely. Sixth Form's been a massive learning curve completely aside from academia, and I'm totally ready for uni now. My confidence has shot up in the last two years :smile: I saw a picture of myself recently that was taken just after the end of GCSEs and it's incredible how different (in a very good way) I look now in a purely superficial way.
Thank God they're over!! :biggrin:
Reply 67

A lot harder, or maybe its because I didnt care or try as much as I planned to.

God no. I ******* hated it. Especially the A2 year.

Not really, weirder teachers lol.

Probably AS, because I cared more then

Sociology, only because I didnt give a **** about it and never turned up to the classes.

Umm, probably media, but things like making a movie was harddd.

Not really.

No.

It was always a rush at the last minute to get coursework and stuff done because I was poorly loads and I put my social life first lol.

No, im going back to college=P, in Bournemouth though=]

I wish I'd have tried.
Harder than what I thought.
At first I enjoyed them, but about half way through A2 I hated them and couldn't wait to finish.
My teachers were probably more supportive than my GCSE teachers.
Preferred AS, mainly because it was easier. lol
English Language and Literature
Business Studies
I was happy with my chosen subjects, but if I had to choose another it would've been History probably.
No.
During the first half of AS I had like no social life, but after that I found a good balance, probably favouring my social life more during the end of A2.
I would like to think so, yes.
They were much harder than expected, but I am definitely glad I took A-Levels.
Reply 69
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? - All easier except for further maths.

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? - Computing I enjoyed the AS year but got bored running into A2 as the practical diminished. Chemistry was fun other than the epic individual investigation of which I went into a very challenging investigation and ended up having to do most of the writeup in a week due to needing a bit of assistance from teacher.. Advancing Physics (OCR B) was an absolute drag, hence dropping it after AS. Physics was my favourite subject at GCSE, funny how a year of bad teaching and an awful, awful syllabus can change that.. I do wonder if I would've continued it if our school chose a more theoretical course rather than one with 3 pieces of coursework a year and learning about how fax machines work. Further Maths was good when I could work out the answer :P.

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? - Some were, some weren't.. They were generally all more relaxed though and could have more 1-1 conversations etc.. Felt far less like the teacher was highly "above" you.

AS Computing, A2 Chemistry, A2 Maths.. Fav of each subject. I'll ignore Physics.

What was your hardest subject? Further Maths

What was your easiest subject? Computing

Do you wish you picked other subjects? - Yeah now that I know what the physics course is like I would've done Economics instead.

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? - Nope.

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? - Yeah, work didn't once get in the way of my social life. Maybe that's a sign I didn't work enough but hey :P:

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? - I'll let you know in a few months, haha.
Reply 70
2 years is hardly an era.
Reply 71
Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? much harder Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? nope
• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? A bit more than GCSE
• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
AS
• What was your hardest subject?Chemistry
• What was your easiest subject? did not have one
• Do you wish you picked other subjects? yes, deffinatly
• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? no
• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? no
• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? well going through A-levels, I know the standard of work that is needed now, so if uni is like A-levels, I should be ok.
• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. I'd rather live in blissful ignorance than find out my results on August the 20th.
so i've copied and pasted the questions cos i'll never remember them all!!

Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? MUCH harder!

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? The languages were :biggrin:

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? hmm.... not really, they kind of leave you to it at A level. I pretty much taught myself parts of certain syllabuses.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? I think generally AS, with the exception of italian literature.

What was your hardest subject? Maths!

What was your easiest subject? French

Do you wish you picked other subjects? Wouldn't have minded spanish... but i'd have had to do the gsce too, i havent ever studied it before. Oh and maybe art/graphics - i was forced into dropping art after 2 weeks cos didnt have enough time on the timetable :frown:

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Maths. (although i did actually drop it just before the exams because when my uni offers came through none of them were fussed with maths)

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? haha no.

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? i hope so :s-smilie:

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general? THANK GOD THEY ARE OVER. and i REALLY hope i get my grades.
Reply 73
I did AS and A2 both in one year,and well it wasnt the best idea:p:

i picked them in year 10, AS was okay, but A2 was a nightmare

i enjoyed unit 2 bio,and mechanics.but, the rest were not so much fun

my math teacher was a ****,but my bio, teacher was really supportive

AS :yep:

accounting:eek3:

maths:cool:

yes, physics

Accounting:frown:

social life? errm never heard of it :yikes:

yes, i believe i am.
biology was unfair:stomp: well, in general, A2 exams are really demanding, more than u can ever imagine. nyways, i hope it all pays back at the end, and the result turns out good.:erm:
Reply 74
Finished A2; English lang/lit, RS, History (+ French AS)

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
As expected really, challenging but not impossible. English required the least step up while History was a big jump because I'd never studied some of the periods we did. French was hard but then I've always found it tricky. RS is fairly straightforward but has some very tricky concepts to learn.

• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
History was pretty much a laugh a minute every lesson :smile:
English can be dull but if you get a good novel it is enjoyable, 2 of our novels were boring but one was brilliant.
French wasn't all that enjoyable for me but that's a personal thing, others liked it alot.
RS as a subject is great, but one of my teachers made it very unenjoyable to the point that I dreaded his lessons. The other teacher however was lovely.

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
Bar aforementioned RS teacher, all of them were very supportive and encouraging. I had some brilliant teachers :smile:

I think in my subjects it depends alot on the specific modules. Some history modules were great, some not so. Ditto English and RS, so a mixture of both.

• What was your hardest subject?
History

• What was your easiest subject?
English

• Do you wish you picked other subjects?
Despite the troubles with my RS teacher, I'm glad I picked the subject because I do enjoy it.
I found French hard but I'm glad I persevered because it looks good on the ole' CV :p:

• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
No, I made the right decision dropping French. Grades-wise and enjoyment-wise.

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
Generally I stayed on top of it all but there were some weeks it got a bit too much when I had 5+ essays set/due. Also should of worked harder in study periods!

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
Socially, yes. I've grown a hell of alot in confidence through 6th form. Intellectually-wise, I'm not sure yet because I've read current History students saying A level doesn't prepare you so i'll have to wait and see.

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
Struggle on even when you can't see an end in sight and make better use of study periods instead of sleeping/chatting through them!

Also, results please!!
Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Yes I would say so. With maths I found it more enjoyable because its quite rewarding. Physics though- Not enjoyable

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Probably more. We had a total of 6 english teachers but in the end they were pretty good and supportive

What was your hardest subject? Physics...A* at gcse, D at AS woops

What was your easiest subject? English Lang without a doubt

Do you wish you picked other subjects? Geography instead of physics!!

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Yep. Its hard but achievable, along with a job

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Why not :yes:

Don't take year 12 for granted. It is the make or break!!!
history was a lot harder but my other subjects were as hard as i thought the y would be

yes except i didnt like history thus i dropped it.
• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
i dont know wether it was just my college but i thought they were alot more supportive at college
A2 this was because i thought that it required more thinking on your own and you werent spoon fed everything.
history
but when i dropped it i would have to say Law

R.S this could have been that the class i was in was great and the teacher was really friendly and everyone got on.
English lit
nope
• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
pretty much obvs when the exams were on it wasnt great but for most of the year it was fine
• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
hope so =) pretty excited
Reply 77
Subjects taken: History, Maths, Politics (and AS English Language)

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
Easier

Yep

Yes. All my teachers were great.

• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2 by default, but I enjoyed everything nonetheless.

Can't say. I did pretty well at AS in all my subjects and am hoping I did well at A2 too.

• What was your easiest subject? See above.

No. I liked all my subjects. History and Politics were great to study together whilst Maths provided a nice break from all the essay work.

No. I'm glad I dropped English Language at the end of the AS course because I didn't really enjoy it much.

Yes. I took subjects that were mostly exam-based so I was never burdened with loads of coursework; the coursework I did have to do did not take too long to complete. At the same time I felt that the workload in preparation for the exams was not so bad. So with a lack of demanding coursework (unlike some of my friends who had tons of it) I could approach things with flexibility, which was good.

Yeah, although I guess I'll have to see what happens at university to confirm this.

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general:
The two years I spent doing A-levels were undoubtedly the best schoolyears of my life. The work was far more interesting and stimulating than the boring GCSE years, whilst I had lots of time to hang out with my mates during free periods! Anyone just about to go into sixth form though be warned, you do need to put the work in or you will be burdened with bad exam results which puts pressure on you for your future exams.
Basically..
I picked the wrong subjects...failed each one...the teaching at my sixth form was utter nonsense...teachers were crap.....my exams were horrible....my time during alevels was pure hell...and these here results are going to be such fails.

Oh dear.
Reply 79
Harder

Physics was very interesting, chemistry was,
well... in a word, starts with 'sh' and rhymes with 'bite', though my teacher was very helpful!

Much more supportive, lessons were more of a laugh

A2

Chemistry

Electronics

Before christmas, yes (organic chemistry was terrible!)
Now, nope!

as above

Yes, but the social life suffered slightly :frown:

I think so, though i don't know really what to expect

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
worth it

Latest