The Student Room Group

Biology Secondary School Teacher

Hi all.

I have done a Psychology degree but have now decided I don't want a psychology job. I really want to be a teacher. So, I trundled of to my careers service who told me I could be a primary school teacher with a psychology degree (Id just have to boast the maths skills etc I learnt in my degree to get onto a PGCE) but that I can't do a secondary PGCE with my degree as its not a national curriculum subject. I think I would prefer secondary (although I love younger kids I think it could be more challenging and therefore rewarding to work with older children) so am planning to go back to do a Biology degre in September so I can do my PGCE.

Just checking that everyone thinks I will definitly have to do the second degree. Im really looking forward to it but if it turns out I didn't need it then I have kinda wasted three years!!

What do ya think?
Reply 1
good good!

But arent you pissed off that you don't want anything to do with psychology anymore? Arent you afraid that the same thing might happen with biology?

And wow you want to be a secondary school teacher! Your gonna go through hell and back if you end up at a public school but thats my opinion.

I recommend either primary or college level teaching, you'll get your satisfaction but won't be pulling your hair out at the same time.
Reply 2
I absolutley loved my psychology degree-Id go back and do it all agin. But I found that what I loved about the degree wasn't what Id be doing. I loved the volutionary psychology etc and can't really get a job in that unless you do research/lecturer. I was planning to be a clinical psychologist but just not sure if Id like it.

I do think primary would be great-and I could do that now without the three year second degree. But part of me wants to go back to uni and Im trying not to let that cloud my decision. I really am scared about the behaviour etc of secondary pupils but not all schools are like that. Im just not sure what to do.
Reply 3
Hi Olivia22,

I think you seriously need to think about this before you go back and do another degree. Doing another degree is great if thats what you really want to do BUT if it's because your not sure what else to do then I would really reconsider. I am finishing a 4 year biology degree which I have enjoyed, and I have been accepted to do my PGCE training. I start in September and I am looking forward to it but I am very aware of the level of work required to become a teacher. The 1 year training to become a teacher is extremely hard work. I am also now very aware about the number of people who do biology teaching. Unfortunately I have found this out too late. So many people do biology that there are no jobs for biology teachers. The shortage is in chemistry and physics. So if you want a job teaching science then try and do something with more chemistry in it. Go for biochemistry perhaps. All I am trying to say is you really need to look in depth at what you intend to do, you don't want to go and do another degree, then a teaching qualification and then not be able to find a job because of a saturation of newly qualified biology teachers. Sorry to be down hearted but I just wanted to make you aware.
Reply 4
Yeah I understand what you mean but whats the point in teaching something I don't enjoy? I love Biology and I think I will be a good biology teacher. I don't think I should be pot off doing something just because lots of other people do it. I see your point but if its what i want to do then I will do it, no matter how many others are.
Reply 5
I suggest you give the GTTA a call and talk your idea over with an advisor there. They will be able to guide you better than anyone else on here. I'm sure there is an alternative which will take you into teaching biology other than doing a second degree. As psychology and biology are both science based subjects, with relations I'm sure, I think you will be able to take a 2 year extended PGCE which brings you up to speed in your new subject and also gives you the necessary skills to teach that subject. Like I say, give the GTTA or even the TTA a call and see what they say before committing yourself to a further 4 years of study.
You say you love biology, but you must have loved psychology when you decided on that degree...you could always teach pysch at college, but I get the feeling you really want to do bio, don't you :smile:

I would advise to get some work experience in a secondary school science department - maybe that would make sure you were definite it would be the right career for you.

Hope this helps,

MissSurfer
Reply 7
MissSurfer
I would advise to get some work experience in a secondary school science department - maybe that would make sure you were definite it would be the right career for you.

That's a prerequisite of embarking on a PGCE anyway.
Reply 8
Yeah I do love Biology. The thing with Psychology was that I had no idea what it was going to be like before I did it as I didn't have an A level in it. So, although I loved the degree I have learnt that I don't want to pursue a career in that field.

I did go to the careers service and they said if I wanted to be a secondary school Biology teacher then I really needed the second degree as the 2 year conversion is not a common course and some don't take psychology. I think that the extra 2 years going down the degree route isn't a bad idea though. For two extra years I end up with a degree-that can't be bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending