The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ILIGAN

Anyway, my point is NUS is a top-notched school and would be a great alternative for those who could not attend a university in the UK.

Only if they cannot get into a decent university in the US, Europe, Canada, Australia or South Africa. NUS really is mainly those of Chinese descent.
Reply 21
^ I would rank NUS and U of HK within the top 50 in the world. That means, I would choose either school for any UK, Canadian or Australian school that is not a top 50 school on a global scale.
hi,

can't comment much on the U.S. / Europe, etc.

but HKU is 3rd best in Asia (according to THES).
It was ranked 18th last year.
and it uses English for all of its courses.

and it has Student Ambassadors account in this forum in you would like to post questions :wink:
Reply 23
Phe-Phi-Pho Phoom
Best in what way?

Personally, going purely by these rankings are dangerous. Other factors such as location, international mixture, culture, etc are just as important.

This is too true, If you want a good law university in Western Australia, I would say Murdoch, its also good for animal, and enviromental science. but its worth jack for everything else.

overall looking at rankings, and from knowing some people i'd say for Europe

University of Helsinki
University of Oslo
Universtat Wien(university of Vienna)

also im told

university of zurich
university of munich
stockholm university
university Utrecht
Uppsala university
university Basel

I'd pick Oslo for postgraduate study, alot of Oslo alumni have won noble prize awards, its meant to be one of the best universities.

I can give you advice for australian universities if you wish.
HKU has been ranked as the best university in Asia. The reputation of Hong Kong as an International Center makes it an even more attractive place to study.
HKU_Student Ambassador
HKU has been ranked as the best university in Asia.

Better than the University of Tokyo, University of Kyoto and Australian National University ? Unlikely.
ILIGAN
there are loads of great universities outside the UK, and the US has the most of them. Schools like Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Princeton, Caltech, Columbia, Duke, among others, are certainly great universities with global recognition and respect. But of course, there are just as great in other countries, though of lesser prominence especially those in Europe due to the language barriers. Here are some unis that are worth mentioning when looking for a great university.

US: Ivy League schools, Berkeley, Caltech, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago, Rice, Emory, Amherst, Williams, Sharthmore, Harvey Mudd, among others

Australia: Australian National University, U of Melbourne, U of Sydney, Monash, U of New South Wales, Curtain U of Technology, among others

Japan: U of Tokyo, U of Kyoto, Sophia, Waseda, Tohuko, Kioe, Tokyo Insitute of Tech, among others

China / Hong Kong: Peking, Fudan, Nanjing, Tsinghua, Shanghai Jiaotong, Beijing Normal, U of Hong Kong, Chinese U of HK, HK Baptist U, HKUST among others

the rest of Asia: Seoul National U, KAIST, National Taiwan U, Chulalongkorn (Thailand), National U of Singapore, Nanyang (Singapore), Singapore Management U, U of the Philippines, De La Salle U (Philippines), Ateneo de Manila, U of Malaya, U Putra Malaysia, U Sains Malaysia, among others

hi ILIGAN, i agree with most of what you say but i live in Hong Kong and Baptist University in Hong Kong is really really bad. In Hong Kong, the only good universities (as you have also mentioned) are HKU, HKUST and Chinese U. CityU and PolyU are better then Baptist U and CityU + PolyU aren't that great.
flugestuge
Better than the University of Tokyo, University of Kyoto and Australian National University ? Unlikely.

it depends on which ranking you use. but yeah, unlikely. kyoto, tokyo, maybe waseda are better than hku and ANU is much better than hku.

i heard you only need a 30 ib point to get into HKU BA.
HKU_Student Ambassador
hi,

can't comment much on the U.S. / Europe, etc.

but HKU is 3rd best in Asia (according to THES).
It was ranked 18th last year.
and it uses English for all of its courses.

and it has Student Ambassadors account in this forum in you would like to post questions :wink:

as most of the well educated and unbiased members have already posted ,the ranking systems (ESPECIALLY THES) are very inaccurate. but i guess its better than nothing.
Reply 29
La Esmerelda
I wonder why there aren't many other European Universities on the list.

There is one in Turkey which is about Mimar Sinan Art Universty -

The best quality education for graphic designer,and all about graphic and drawing education.Its really diffucult to study for Turkish people,and I believe thats difficult for international students too.I advice if someone wants to study in Turkey,and also advice İstanbul university / Marmara University,Bilkent University,maybe everyone know that ODTU (Middle East technical Universty).I have heard some other university which are good from my friends -

ITALY - University of Milan (Università degli Studi di Milano)
SPAIN - Miguel de Cervantes European University
POLAND - Jagiellonian University
USA - PRINCETON University (I know,Einestein is worked rest of his life)
USA - YALE University
ENGLAND - OXFORD and CAMBRIDGE universties.
GERMANY - University of Frankfurt am Main
Cool_codes
Mimar Sinan Art Universty -
İstanbul university /
Marmara University,
Bilkent University,
maybe everyone know that
ODTU (Middle East technical Universty)

Surely you must be joking.
I have never heard of any of these.
Are they in Kazakhstan or the Belarus ?
Reply 31
Cool_codes

ITALY - University of Milan (Università degli Studi di Milano)
SPAIN - Miguel de Cervantes European University
POLAND - Jagiellonian University
USA - PRINCETON University (I know,Einestein is worked rest of his life)
USA - YALE University
ENGLAND - OXFORD and CAMBRIDGE universties.
GERMANY - University of Frankfurt am Main

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Frankfurt is a very, very average German university. Probably not even in the top 10 in Germany!

Latest

Trending

Trending