The Student Room Group

Thick, white vaginal discharge?

I don't remember when I first noticed it but it's only just dawned on me that it might not be normal
My discharge is thick and white, But what could cause this?
I checked for other threads about this but they said Thrush..but I don't really understand what thrush is :s-smilie: I thought thrush was only something that people got if they were overweight like under skin flaps (:s-smilie: I understand that's probably wrong to think but I don't really know about it so please don't be offended :frown: )
If it's not thrush what else could it be?

Should I just buy some of that Canesten stuff and if it doesn't go away then go to the doctor?
If I went to the doctor would he have to look at my vagina ? or would he able to figure out what else it could be from the discharge?
Reply 1
Does it smell odd? Does it itch? Is it physically irritating? If the answer to those questions is "No", then its completely normal.
Reply 2
Normal discharge , i don't think there's anythn u need 2 worry about
Reply 3
Entangled
That's true. We cannot guarantee that this event did in fact occur without pictoral evidence.

You'd rather see my thick, white discharge than giving me the benefit of the doubt that I do infact have thick, white vaginal discharge...:confused:
Reply 4
So why has no one said what needs to be said yet?
Reply 5
Antonia87
Does it smell odd? Does it itch? Is it physically irritating? If the answer to those questions is "No", then its completely normal.

It smells a bit different to what I remember it smelling like, but it's not a bad smell, it doesn't smell strongly ( I was going to call it a minimalistic smell - but that'd be wrong wouldn't it? :p: )- Does that count as odd?

Otherwise it's a no to those questions :smile:
:seeadoctor: if your worried
If its always been like that for you then it's fine. Also, it tends to change in the cycle. Don't worry about how yours differs to other people's, only worry if it changes from its normal..routine, for want of a better word!
Reply 8
Mine is always like this just before and after periods. Like Antonia said, if it doesn't smell or itch, and it isn't completely different to what you normally get (and even then it still might be nothing) then it's probably fine.

Google it rather than checking for old threads. If you still have reasons for concern after that, then doctors it is. And yes, I think they might want to take a look if it's an unusual discharge, especially if you are sexually active.
Reply 9
Anonymous
I don't remember when I first noticed it but it's only just dawned on me that it might not be normal
I checked for other threads about this but they said Thrush..but I don't really understand what thrush is :s-smilie: I thought thrush was only something that people got if they were overweight like under skin flaps (:s-smilie: I understand that's probably wrong to think but I don't really know about it so please don't be offended :frown: )

Should I just buy some of that Canesten stuff and if it doesn't go away then go to the doctor?
If I went to the doctor would he have to look at my vagina ? or would he able to figure out what else it could be from the discharge?

If it's always been like that, then you don't have anything to worry about, because every body is different and does it's own thing.

Keep in mind that the consistency and colour can change throughout your menstrual cycle can change too.

However if this is a new development, then it is possible you have indeed got thrush. Thrush is a yeast infection that can be sexually transmitted or simple occur because of an enzyme/bacteria imbalance in the environment of the affected area.

If you have started using a different soap or shower gel that is really heavily perfumed, then change it to something like "simple" soap that is un-perfumed and hasn't got added colourings and things, because they can cause infections like this.

However, if you are really worried, then the best thing you can do is to go and see your doctor, because they are the only one who sees this sort of thing every day and can diagnose you properly.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Anonymous

Week 1
From first day of bleeding Bleeding and the various symptoms felt then depends on the individual
At the post bleeding phase there is generally an increase in physical energy and vitality.
The individual is more outgoing and sociable. Sleep patterns and appetite return to normal.
Vaginal mucus is dry or absent.

Week 2 As ovulation approaches mucus becomes more wet, slippery, white (whatever is your individual pattern.)

Ovulation
Day 14 approximately Mucus is very wet and slippery, easily allowing penetration of sperm.
Breasts may be tender, Mood swings, increase in libido, cramps, desire to be with your partner. An ovulation microscope can help you learn your individual fertility symptoms

Week 3
After Ovulation moving into premenstrual phase Mucus production slows, becomes drier and thicker. Moods balance out again.

Week 4
Pre-menstrual phase Premenstrual symptoms kick in, which depending upon you, range from bloating, cramps, headaches, mood swings, food cravings, and insomnia.
Energy levels decrease, libidio may increase.
Desire for solitude

Latest