The Student Room Group

Unable to get reference for clearing application.

I tried to ask my sixth form for a reference back in March and my teachers were 'too busy' to do it and got annoyed when I reminded them.
I later left that college and decided to continue my sixth form studies elsewhere in September. I then decided about a month ago I'd apply for March 2010 intake and asked my old school head of year for a reference and he told me he would send me it in the post. Unfortunately he did not and I only found this out after the school had broken up and I was unable to contact him (I went on holiday just before the school broke up.)

However, I came across the Chester University clearing site a few days ago and it said that there are still places left for September.

Can I not get a reference off of a family doctor? Will I get rejected on this alone, even if I can somehow explain my situation to the university? I've tried contacting the school since but it's been to no avail.

I can't contact any voluntary placements that I did because they were in schools too.

Please help!
I don't think a doctor would do much good. Can't you get in touch with your schools office staff (who should be in over the summer) to get in touch with a teacher for you?
Reply 2
I thought that too. I did try calling, but it was an answering machine and it said that there was no one there, so I'm at a complete loss at what to do. :frown:
March 2010?? I thought you apply between September and January? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
inksplodge
March 2010?? I thought you apply between September and January? :s-smilie:

Chester changed their date to March. :/
Without an academic reference, I doubt you'd even get considered to be honest. Chester are quite anal about paperwork, and everything being as it should be, and when I queried who to get my reference from they were very set on it being someone from my school who would give an accurate representation and be contactable.

So I don't think anyone else would do....nag your teachers and school to death, like everyone has said, people WILL be there, just harder to get hold of.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Controversial
Without an academic reference, I doubt you'd even get considered to be honest. Chester are quite anal about paperwork, and everything being as it should be, and when I queried who to get my reference from they were very set on it being someone from my school who would give an accurate representation and be contactable.

So I don't think anyone else would do....nag your teachers and school to death, like everyone has said, people WILL be there, just harder to get hold of.

Good luck!

Thank you. :smile:

I've emailed the school office and a teacher who hopefully will be able to get hold of my old head of year. I tried emailing him with 'his name@ the school.com' but it just got sent back to me and he's just retired last month so that could be why.

They're both school address emails though so neither may read it for a long time. :frown:

I really do hope that people are in the school, I'm going to ring up again tomorrow and maybe call in as I'm going the gym and it's right next door to the school.
Reply 7
xfallenfaeriex
Thank you. :smile:

I've emailed the school office and a teacher who hopefully will be able to get hold of my old head of year. I tried emailing him with 'his name@ the school.com' but it just got sent back to me and he's just retired last month so that could be why.

They're both school address emails though so neither may read it for a long time. :frown:

I really do hope that people are in the school, I'm going to ring up again tomorrow and maybe call in as I'm going the gym and it's right next door to the school.
If all else fails, there will definitely be people in the week of results - keep calling.

Latest

Trending

Trending