The Student Room Group

Our parents don't let us sleep in the same room together

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
veronica111
I've been with my boyfriend for about 7 and a bit months, we're both 16, but neither of our parents let us sleep in the same bed together. It's really bugging me, is it wrong for us to sleep in the same bed together? I mean it doesn't seem it, 4 of my best friends all have boyfriends and they've been sleeping in the same bed/room together for agess!!! It's so irritating, so do you think my parents should let me? If you do, how do you think I could convince my parents, lol :smile:

And, when my 18 year old brother was my age, he always had his girlfriend stay over, my parents even let her come on holiday with us and stay in the same room as my brother, so why am I treated any differently? :mad:

Honey, you've got to realise that when you're under the same roof as your parents, you need to stick to the rules. It's perfectly natural that they shouldn't let you and your boyfriend sleep together. If you want to have sex do it elsewhere, or when your parents are not around. It would be pretty akward for your parents to know what the two of you are up to during the night, don't you think?
you are probably treated differently to your borther due to deeply ingrained sexism- so at least its not personal :smile:

Seriously though, it is their house, so their rules. However, as your brother was allowed, I would sit down with your parents and just ask why. Don't have a big slanging match, but just say that there does appear to be a difference in how you are treated to your brother and you just want to know why. However, it will still stick that its seperate rooms...just takes a bit more thought to have a good night thats all.
Reply 182
Darren56
Do what normal teenagers do and sneak around. My parents were completely against sex and liked to think I was a virgin and probably didn't even know what sex was. So what your parents don't let you sleep in the same bed... thats the fun of it?

Yeah, because the stork brought you to your parents' doorstep in a basket, right? haha...:rolleyes:
its silly. It suggests they think you can only have sex at night and are sleeping in the same bed. I'm sure you find plenty of time to do it when there out of the house or you are 'listening to music' in your room. Just tell them why its stupid and maybe they'll realise why its pointless to stop you sharing a room.

I've been with my gf three weeks and we've slept in the same room a few times at both my house and her house.
Reply 184
ChaoticMaster
its silly. It suggests they think you can only have sex at night and are sleeping in the same bed. I'm sure you find plenty of time to do it when there out of the house or you are 'listening to music' in your room. Just tell them why its stupid and maybe they'll realise why its pointless to stop you sharing a room.

I've been with my gf three weeks and we've slept in the same room a few times at both my house and her house.

It's not stupid or illogical. It would be akward for them if they were fully aware that their daughter was in the house having sex with her boyfriend. Personally I wouldnt permit it either. Let them do it somewhere else if they want to, but not in the house.
I think the only reason for you to say that it's stupid is because shagging someone in your room without your parents knowing about it makes you feel "rebellious". Now THAT is stupid.
As you are female then your parents are likely to be a lot more protective of you, and as it has been said before the relationship has not being going on for that long for it to be considered, also given time and eventually it will happen.

But bottom line is "their house their rules" im 18 now and when I got together with my new boyfriend my parents did not want him to stay with me, even though we are both 18 and have been "close" for sometime, but if it is that much of an issue to you two you could always lay on the bed "watching a film" and accidently fall asleep there.....
Eva2
It's not stupid or illogical. It would be akward for them if they were fully aware that their daughter was in the house having sex with her boyfriend. Personally I wouldnt permit it either. Let them do it somewhere else if they want to, but not in the house.
I think the only reason for you to say that it's stupid is because shagging someone in your room without your parents knowing about it makes you feel "rebellious". Now THAT is stupid.

Why you feel the need to make illogical and highly inaccurate assumptions about my personality I don't know. What I do know it that feeling rebellious is not something I feel the need to do. And what makes you think my parents don't know? Also she said sleeping in the same room not having sex with. There is a difference. I was just pointing out that whilst there intentions are understandable their method is ineffective.
Reply 187
Jeesh, you think you have it bad, I have been with my bf for 4 years and I'm not allowed him over, let alone stay in the same bed. I'm nearly 20, he is 21!
Reply 188
ChaoticMaster
Why you feel the need to make illogical and highly inaccurate assumptions about my personality I don't know. What I do know it that feeling rebellious is not something I feel the need to do. And what makes you think my parents don't know? Also she said sleeping in the same room not having sex with. There is a difference. I was just pointing out that whilst there intentions are understandable their method is ineffective.

I said what I thought based on your last post, that does not mean I have to get to know you personally to make that assumption. I would have thought it was pretty obvious that you feel the need to "break the rules" your parents made so that you feel rebellious. Then again, I might be wrong.
By the way, sleeping in the same room=sex
Althought the parents' methods may be inffective, it is understandable why they do it.
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think anyone would allow their sixteen year old daughter to sleep with their boyfriend when the parents are under the same roof.
Reply 189
Me and my boyfriend have been together a year and a half im nearly 18 and hes 17 and a half and we find exactly the same problems my family dont let him in the house AT ALL and we had a huge argument with his family so we cnt go there either anymore the only time we get any time to ourselves is when theyre away or we walk miles to our grandparents houses but obviously cant stay over together there. what makes it a whole lot worse is we live in a tiny little town miles away from bigger towns and cnt drive we have a supermarket niteclub few shops mcdonalds and a pub and thts about it so we seriously have nothing to do but get fat and broke in maccy ds or walk round endlessly 4 hours so look at the positives at least u get 2 c ur boyfriend and hes allowed in during the day to hang thts gotta b beter thn hardly seein him at all and im sure when u grow older and ur parents get 2 no ur bf betr theyll let u sleep in the same room tho surely u cnt blame them 4 bein uncomfortable with the idea .
Eva2
I said what I thought based on your last post, that does not mean I have to get to know you personally to make that assumption. I would have thought it was pretty obvious that you feel the need to "break the rules" your parents made so that you feel rebellious. Then again, I might be wrong.
By the way, sleeping in the same room=sex
Althought the parents' methods may be inffective, it is understandable why they do it.
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think anyone would allow their sixteen year old daughter to sleep with their boyfriend when the parents are under the same roof.

I have no desire at all to break the rules. I do my best to avoid breaking any rules. My mum knows I have sex with my girlfriend when she stays over. I have never told her directly or said were going to go and have sex now but she is not an idiot and I expect she knows we are having sex. My mum is understanding and as long as I don't go disturbing anyone what I do in my own room is my business.

I assure you sleeping in the same room does not always equate to sex. It depends on the stage in the relationship and the views on sex of the couple. With my current girlfriend it does. With my ex it didn't.

It depends on the parents. Some would and some wouldn't. Although most would not. But then is a situation like this it doesn't mean they are going to have sex. If my girlfriend was to come to my dads house with me I know my dad wouldn't want me to have sex in the house and so I wouldn't out of respect. Her parents could allow them to stay in the same room if they promised not to have sex. If she respected her parents then she would agree to this.
Eva2
Honey, you've got to realise that when you're under the same roof as your parents, you need to stick to the rules. It's perfectly natural that they shouldn't let you and your boyfriend sleep together. If you want to have sex do it elsewhere, or when your parents are not around. It would be pretty akward for your parents to know what the two of you are up to during the night, don't you think?

But she didn't say anything about sex! She said she wants to SLEEP in the same room.
Lu-x
Jeesh, you think you have it bad, I have been with my bf for 4 years and I'm not allowed him over, let alone stay in the same bed. I'm nearly 20, he is 21!

But your an adult, you can make your own decisions! :frown:
ChaoticMaster
I have no desire at all to break the rules. I do my best to avoid breaking any rules. My mum knows I have sex with my girlfriend when she stays over. I have never told her directly or said were going to go and have sex now but she is not an idiot and I expect she knows we are having sex. My mum is understanding and as long as I don't go disturbing anyone what I do in my own room is my business.

I assure you sleeping in the same room does not always equate to sex. It depends on the stage in the relationship and the views on sex of the couple. With my current girlfriend it does. With my ex it didn't.

It depends on the parents. Some would and some wouldn't. Although most would not. But then is a situation like this it doesn't mean they are going to have sex. If my girlfriend was to come to my dads house with me I know my dad wouldn't want me to have sex in the house and so I wouldn't out of respect. Her parents could allow them to stay in the same room if they promised not to have sex. If she respected her parents then she would agree to this.

I agree but she wouldn't have to promise to no sex, really, because she is a consenting adult and what she does in her room, is her choice and it doesn't really affect them at all.:smile:
Reply 194
jessica.thomas
But your an adult, you can make your own decisions! :frown:

Not when it is their house :o:
Reply 195
jessica.thomas
But she didn't say anything about sex! She said she wants to SLEEP in the same room.

yeah, right, because there is absolutely no implicaton of having sex whatsoever (!).

why do they want to sleep together if they dont want to have sex? :dontknow:
Reply 196
ChaoticMaster

the thing is sleeping in the same room as your partner often implies having sex. this is the reason why parents are reluctant to permit their son or daughter to sleep with their partner. it's understandable because OP isn't an adult yet and she still lives with her parents, she has to go by their rules.
Sounds reasonable to me. If I had a 16 yo daughter I wouldn't let her have her bf sleep over in the same room
Eva2
yeah, right, because there is absolutely no implicaton of having sex whatsoever (!).

why do they want to sleep together if they dont want to have sex? :dontknow:

to hug
well at my house my BF has to sleep in a diff building and im not aloud to stop at his (his parents rules) but yet both sets of parents are happy for him to come stop with me at uni...where do they think hes guna sleep!! we are 19+17 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending