The Student Room Group

Our parents don't let us sleep in the same room together

I've been with my boyfriend for about 7 and a bit months, we're both 16, but neither of our parents let us sleep in the same bed together. It's really bugging me, is it wrong for us to sleep in the same bed together? I mean it doesn't seem it, 4 of my best friends all have boyfriends and they've been sleeping in the same bed/room together for agess!!! It's so irritating, so do you think my parents should let me? If you do, how do you think I could convince my parents, lol :smile:

And, when my 18 year old brother was my age, he always had his girlfriend stay over, my parents even let her come on holiday with us and stay in the same room as my brother, so why am I treated any differently? :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In b4, "it's their house, their rules". :awesome:
Reply 2
I think any 16 year old is too young to be sleeping in the same bed as their bf/gf :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Your brother couldn't fall pregnant.
Reply 4
You havent really been together long enough and you are only 16 so i can see why they might not want you both too. If you were a bit older I wouldn't really see why not.
Reply 5
Emily069

aha, true :smile:
veronica111
I've been with my boyfriend for about 7 and a bit months, we're both 16, but neither of our parents let us sleep in the same bed together. It's really bugging me, is it wrong for us to sleep in the same bed together? I mean it doesn't seem it, 4 of my best friends all have boyfriends and they've been sleeping in the same bed/room together for agess!!! It's so irritating, so do you think my parents should let me? If you do, how do you think I could convince my parents, lol :smile:

And, when my 18 year old brother was my age, he always had his girlfriend stay over, my parents even let her come on holiday with us and stay in the same room as my brother, so why am I treated any differently? :mad:

SLIGHT difference: he was 18, you're 16.

I'm nearly 22 and my boyfriend of nearly 2 years doesnt sleep in my room either. It'd be pretty ******* weird to be fair.

Their house, their rules.
Reply 7
Of course they shouldn't let you sleep in the same room together.

For goodness' sake, have you no respect? It's their house, and you're only 16. You could be 26 and they'd still be perfectly within their rights to forbid you from sleeping in the same room as your boyfriend. Grow up.
Reply 8
man up
Negotiate with them, for example, say to them if you are still together after 10 months, then can you sleep together. I n the meantime sleep together at your bf's house.
Sorry, I may be missing something but why would you want to sleep in the same bed as your bf? surely, sleeping on your own equals better quality of sleep.
Reply 11
Emily069

Very true! Parents are always alot stricter when it comes to their daughters because of this fact...

I agree its silly though. At that age I was in a similar situation - my parents never let my bf stay over and I always thought it was really unfair and silly. In my opinion, the fact that your parents won't let you share a bed doesn't mean your not going to have sex! If you want to do it your going to do it...!

I think its more of a control thing...if your parents let you stay over eachothers houses then they are basically giving you permission to have sex and saying that they agree to it...but if they stop you then they think they have some control over whether you are having it or not...
Wild Thing
SLIGHT difference: he was 18, you're 16.

I'm nearly 22 and my boyfriend of nearly 2 years doesnt sleep in my room either. It'd be pretty ******* weird to be fair.

Their house, their rules.

she said hes 18 NOW, but he was allowed to sleep in the same bed as his gf when he was her age (16)
Until I was almost 18, my parents wouldn't let my boyfriend stay over.
His parents won't let us sleep in the same room, let alone bed. (My parents do.)

So what if your friends' parents let them sleep in the same room as their boyfriends?
That's basically the slightly older version of 'But muuuuuuummmm, why can't I have [insert ****** toy that was a trend 10 years ago], all my friends have ooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeee' in your whiniest voice.
Grow up.
Reply 14
obviously they dnt want u to get preggie u idiot! cnt believe u need to even ask! duuuh!!!
Simplicity
Sorry, I may be missing something but why would you want to sleep in the same bed as your bf? surely, sleeping on your own equals better quality of sleep.

Hahaha, this exactly.

I used to really want to sleep in the same bed as my boyfriend, then the novelty wore off and we actually prefer sleeping in separate beds :rolleyes:
They are the womb police.
Reply 17
jennikay
Until I was almost 18, my parents wouldn't let my boyfriend stay over.
His parents won't let us sleep in the same room, let alone bed. (My parents do.)

So what if your friends' parents let them sleep in the same room as their boyfriends?
That's basically the slightly older version of 'But muuuuuuummmm, why can't I have [insert ****** toy that was a trend 10 years ago], all my friends have ooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeee' in your whiniest voice.
Grow up.

aha, yeah I suppose you could look at it that way, but still, it's so irritating!!
Reply 18
doodle7
Very true! Parents are always alot stricter when it comes to their daughters because of this fact...

I agree its silly though. At that age I was in a similar situation - my parents never let my bf stay over and I always thought it was really unfair and silly. In my opinion, the fact that your parents won't let you share a bed doesn't mean your not going to have sex! If you want to do it your going to do it...!

I think its more of a control thing...if your parents let you stay over eachothers houses then they are basically giving you permission to have sex and saying that they agree to it...but if they stop you then they think they have some control over whether you are having it or not...

yeah, that's actually really true, they wouldn't say "you can have sex with your boyfriend", so they won't say, "you can sleep round your boyfriends"..... interesting
Reply 19
have a word with them about your brother im sure they will have their reasons, its sad to say girls tend to get treated different than boys, there were twins in my year for instance one boy one girl, obv the same age, the boy could stay out all night do what he wanted and the girl had to be home at 10/11, its sad but girls are seen as more vulnerable. I dont know if you can change their views, but its probably worth more talking to them and saying you feel its unfair after your brother got treated differently. My mum was strict like your parents but let me stay in my room with my bf when i was 16 (nearly 17) but simply because she liked him and trusted him, perhaps this is an issue your parents may have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending