The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Aeolus
We declared war on the Germans remember. We attacked them first, so theoretically by your logic they were justified attacking our cities and civilians?

Although in the worng, the Germans believed they were justified in attacking us. What about the recent war in Iraq, that was illegal, even though our Government said it was justified. If the Iraqi's had the means would they be in the right to drop A bombs on our cities until we capitulated.

True but we had a mutual assistance pact with poland so they knew war with one meant war with the other. What the germans believed doesn't matter. No we were morally in the right in attacking iraq and it was legal.
Reply 61
MrFroggy
True but we had a mutual assistance pact with poland so they knew war with one meant war with the other. What the germans believed doesn't matter. No we were morally in the right in attacking iraq and it was legal.

But did they know it would? We had appeased them with regards to chekoslovakia etc.. But your right this is getting off topic..

But then again how were we morally in the right, with regards to Iraq, considering there were over five other dangerous countries with confirmed weapons of mass destruction including Pakistan which had Nuclear weapons! and sold technology to North Korea. Pakistan proved ten times the threat that Iraq did. I mean Iraq could just barely defend itself let alone attack it us!
Reply 62
MrFroggy
Thats completely different the jews were not a threat. They were not working to provide armies with bullets that might end up killing german soldiers. There was such a thing as a german resistance so maybe hitler should have killed all germans by your logic?

obviously the Jews weren't a threat, hence my point. It doesn't seem you realize that i was giving a stupid scenario that mimicked yours. The civilians were not a threat either. To my knowledge, the city did not have factories in it. Hence why there is always so much of a fuss about it. There was no military significance, it was simply retribution for the bombings in Britain.

Yes, we are off-topic.
Reply 63
sirandrew
obviously the Jews weren't a threat, hence my point. It doesn't seem you realize that i was giving a stupid scenario that mimicked yours. The civilians were not a threat either. To my knowledge, the city did not have factories in it. Hence why there is always so much of a fuss about it. There was no military significance, it was simply retribution for the bombings in Britain.

Yes, we are off-topic.

If you knew about the Jewish resistance you would rethink that statement
Reply 64
Texan88
If you knew about the Jewish resistance you would rethink that statement

have you ever seen the movie 'defiance'? Just remembered it.
Reply 65
sirandrew
have you ever seen the movie 'defiance'? Just remembered it.

Awesome movie I like the new Jewish bond

My name is Bond Malacai Bond
Reply 66
Playboy King
Why is it that the USA don't have to answer to anybody for their actions

Because usually the allegations of misdeeds are utterly bogus.

Playboy King
I don't quite understand, but from what I can see the UK is just America's little bitch, a complete pushover...the one who bends over for America to rape it outrageously, which is frustrating to see being British.

Hardly. The UK are our ally. We help each other because we're friends.

Playboy King
Why can't other countries with some balls (except N.Korea :p:) defy America and stop them from snooping around their internal affairs?

Because defying America typically means being a rogue nation and committing evil acts, and most countries don't like acting that way.
Reply 67
Lord_Farquad
China could destroy the US with one phone call without so much as launching a fighter jet, and the US could do nothing about it.

China own trillions in USD, all they have to do is dump it and the US economy goes to ****.

Nah. We could easily counter such an act by having the Fed soak up the excess money supply as China dumped it.

We'd probably use it as an excuse to let the dollar grow weaker though -- letting China take the blame when people complained of the weaker dollar -- and then use the weaker dollar to boost our economy through greater exports.
Reply 68
Olivia_Lightbulb
The USA should have been tried for war crimes following the Vietnam War. It is a sad reflection on the nature of democracy within the modern world that it was not.

Vietnam should have been tried for war crimes after the Vietnam War.

Olivia_Lightbulb
Do you think the deaths and birth defects caused by napalm, which amounted to genocide, was justified? It was a futile and bitter war; Vietnam succumbed to the communist regime anyway.

The use of napalm in no way amounted to genocide.

And it is also unlikely that it caused any birth defects.

Olivia_Lightbulb
Mistreating trained combattants during a conflict is very different to deliberately harming civilians through the use of napalm.

The US did not deliberately target civilians with napalm (or with any other weapon for that matter).

Olivia_Lightbulb
If the civilians posed no immediate threat to the US armed forces, then one would consider it murder, although admittedly it is a somewhat emotive term.

Collateral damage isn't murder. It is just a part of war.
Reply 69
Oralloy
Because usually the allegations of misdeeds are utterly bogus.
Because defying America typically means being a rogue nation and committing evil acts, and most countries don't like acting that way.

Oh surprise surprise, an american defending America...shocker! :rolleyes:

Perhaps the allegations of misdeeds are utterly bogus, or it could be that dismissing them as utterly bogus is in itself utterly bogus. No country is 'friends' with another, it's about give and take, sharing, using and providing services.
America is not the universal benchmark for all that is right, far from it actually, so defying it would not make a country a 'rogue nation committing evil acts'.

But don't stress your little delusional americanised head over it, son.
Reply 70
Soon Europe will arise as the worlds largest superpower!

*plays ode to joy*
Oralloy

HAHAHAHA!

Sorry that gave me quite a chuckle.

A passing glance at history will show the USA to be untrustworthy and unreliable as an ally.

Any chance you could 'help' the UK by giving us the killers of Matty Hull?

I won't hold my breath.

(Nothing against Americans as people, they're pretty polite, but the idea that they absolutely love us is simply false).
Reply 72
Playboy King
Oh surprise surprise, an american defending America...shocker! :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't I defend my country from false charges?

Playboy King
Perhaps the allegations of misdeeds are utterly bogus, or it could be that dismissing them as utterly bogus is in itself utterly bogus.

No, standing up and denouncing false charges is never bogus.

Playboy King
No country is 'friends' with another, it's about give and take, sharing, using and providing services.

Nah. There are a number of countries I regard as our friends.

I don't want to make a list because I just know I'll leave someone off it.

But the UK is among our friends.

Playboy King
America is not the universal benchmark for all that is right, far from it actually, so defying it would not make a country a 'rogue nation committing evil acts'.

That is true in a literal sense. It is not defying us that makes a nation rogue or evil.

But that does not change the fact that it would take a rogue nation committing an evil act in order to defy us.

Anything less than a rogue nation committing an evil act would hardly defy us.

Playboy King
But don't stress your little delusional americanised head over it, son.

Nothing delusional about telling the truth.
Reply 73
Joluk
Soon Europe will arise as the worlds largest superpower!

*plays ode to joy*

I don't see how -- especially the largest.

Not that I'm against Europe becoming stronger or anything.
Reply 74
Grim_the_Reaper
HAHAHAHA!

Sorry that gave me quite a chuckle.

A passing glance at history will show the USA to be untrustworthy and unreliable as an ally.

So I guess it was wrong of us to come bail Europe out of two world wars and then prevent the Russians from crushing Europe?

Grim_the_Reaper
(Nothing against Americans as people, they're pretty polite, but the idea that they absolutely love us is simply false).

I could do without Germany, but I think the UK are pretty decent people.
Reply 75
Oralloy

You could do without Germany? Are you retarded? You are no longer in the 20th century, this forum does not tolerate the ostracizing of nationalities or races. As I said, typical americanised head of yours...you're exactly the type of american redneck hillbilly going around shouting ''We saved your ass in WW1 and WW2".

Also, the UK are not people, it's a country/unitary state. Dumbass :rolleyes:
Oralloy
So I guess it was wrong of us to come bail Europe out of two world wars and then prevent the Russians from crushing Europe?

And what about abandoning us in Suez, attempting to drag us into Vietnam and using Britain as a shield against the Russians during the Cold War*?

*(The US installed ballistic missiles in Britain and much of Western Europe. If the US launched these missiles as Russia the retaliatory strike would be against Western Europe.)

Oralloy

No you couldn't. A significant amount of your military's hardware is made in Germany, or at least with German co-operation.

Without Germany your defense industry would barely exist, and your army would lack its reputation of being the most well-equipped in the world.
Reply 77
Playboy King
You could do without Germany? Are you retarded? You are no longer in the 20th century, this forum does not tolerate the ostracizing of nationalities or races. As I said, typical americanised head of yours...you're exactly the type of american redneck hillbilly going around shouting ''We saved your ass in WW1 and WW2".

Also, the UK are not people, it's a country/unitary state. Dumbass :rolleyes:

Except the US you can say whatever you want about them without any reprecussions
Reply 78
Grim_the_Reaper

Without Germany your defense industry would barely exist, and your army would lack its reputation of being the most well-equipped in the world.

I can think of 2 the barrel for the m1 abrams tank and the blackhawk helicopter

Other than that the m4 is made by colt in the usa, the M134 is made by general electric in america. ALL air force and naval planes are made IN america. Beretta's M9 factory is in america. Kevlar is made here hell we won't even let our night vision goggles leave the country.

Saying america rely's on germany for its defense is completely absurd
Reply 79
Grim_the_Reaper
And what about abandoning us in Suez, attempting to drag us into Vietnam and using Britain as a shield against the Russians during the Cold War*?

*(The US installed ballistic missiles in Britain and much of Western Europe. If the US launched these missiles as Russia the retaliatory strike would be against Western Europe.)

No you couldn't. A significant amount of your military's hardware is made in Germany, or at least with German co-operation.

Eisenhower later said he regretted his decision over suez, it was our operation anyway and we should have made sure we could be successful before we started.

Asking an ally to join a war you are fighting is no big thing.

Why do you think the missiles were placed there? If there had been no missiles in western europe then the soviets would have had a much easier time invading. Plus if the USA didn't place missiles in western europe the how sure would the SU have been that the USA would intervene to defend western europe? We were not a shield any attack would have been against all NATO countries. There was no way that the SU attacking the UK would have saved the USA.

Latest

Trending

Trending