The Student Room Group

Where should I apply with my grades?

Where should I apply with my grades?

I've been looking to applying for psychology&sociology and HRM&employment relations. (and simliar, such as sociology with social psychology)

I didn't study A-levels and I've been asking universities about entrance requirements, but I feel that they're all saying the same thing. Where should I aim?

Grade system:
MVG - over 90%
VG - over 75%
G - over 50%

My grades:
31 subjects studied
16 MVG (Englishx2, Swedishx2, Religion, Psychology, Spanish, Media studies, Computing etc)
9 VG (Math, Civics, Philosophy, Programming etc)
6 G (Physical education, Multimedia, Text communication etc)

Overall my poor grades are in not very important subjects.

This is what different universities say about entrance requirements:

LSE:
"we would normally require an overall VG (Very Good) with MVG (Excellent) in certain subjects where appropriate."

Cambridge:
"overall pass with grade MVG in the subjects that are relevant to the course that the applicant is applying for."

Edinburgh:
"Overall average VG (Very Good) with MVG in required subjects. These are minimum entry requirements.

For nearly all degree programmes demand for places is much higher than places available so not all applicants who meet the required entry level will receive an offer.

The majority of offers will be made to students who achieve grades well above the minimum entry requirement. In 2007 and 2008 the offer threshold for most degree programmes was achieved/predicted MVG in the majority of subjects."

From this, it sounds like Edinburgh is the most pessimistic. But in reality, shouldn't Edinburgh be easiest to get into of the univeristies mentioned above? Does this mean that Edinburgh, and everything above, is out of my league?

Based on this, what universities (not talking about the ones mentioned above, but in general of all universities) do you think it's appropriate that I apply for?
Reply 1
all of them?
Reply 2
Apply to 2 'extremely' good ones such as Oxford and Edinburgh, then apply to 3 of the very good ones but not top of the top on the league tables like Southampton, Kent, Sussex, Essex...

(Also those were just examples... you don't have to apply to those in particular!). But the reason I say this is for insurance reasons; most people will choose the ones in their range or the ones they believe they can get into, but if you think you can get all the high ones and they all reject you, you've no choice but to go through clearing! But if you do it this way, you can reduce your chances of going through clearing. NOT that I am saying you couldn't get into these universities, because you may be able to... I honestly don't know! BUT top universities are hard to get into even with straight A's at A level because you have interviews and stuff! So, its best to make these insurances.

Latest

Trending

Trending