The Student Room Group

Oxbridge with Choral Award timings

Scroll to see replies

Choirboy
I will be trying for Cambridge. Last month I sat AS theology and A level maths and the college I'm applying to said to add these results (they come out on the 19th of August) before sending off the form. I am fretting a little because I'm not too sure everything will be done on time.

Well could your school/college have your academic and musical references (assuming this is the same for Cambridge, but this is what I've had to do for Oxford) done before the 19th, then when you go in to get your results you can literally add them then and there and then hand it over for them to add their bits to and then send off? I agree if they don't start their sections until after the 19th August you're going to be pushing for time, especially with everything else they will have going on at that time with A2 results and Clearing etc.
Reply 41
ChopinNocturne
Well could your school/college have your academic and musical references (assuming this is the same for Cambridge, but this is what I've had to do for Oxford) done before the 19th, then when you go in to get your results you can literally add them then and there and then hand it over for them to add their bits to and then send off? I agree if they don't start their sections until after the 19th August you're going to be pushing for time, especially with everything else they will have going on at that time with A2 results and Clearing etc.

I am not at school at the moment and will not be back before it breaks up for the summer holidays. I also finish my second work experience stint on the 20th of August and my results will therefore be posted to me. I left a draft of my application form (and PS) to both my Head of VIth Form and the Head of the Music department and I hope that they will write their references soon. I am to email my Head of VIth Form once I have received my results and he will try :eek: to see me before school begins.
I am not a terribly relaxed and happy bunny at present, but I'm keeping all fingers (and toes) crossed :biggrin:
Reply 42
Choirboy
I am not at school at the moment and will not be back before it breaks up for the summer holidays. I also finish my second work experience stint on the 20th of August and my results will therefore be posted to me. I left a draft of my application form (and PS) to both my Head of VIth Form and the Head of the Music department and I hope that they will write their references soon. I am to email my Head of VIth Form once I have received my results and he will try :eek: to see me before school begins.
I am not a terribly relaxed and happy bunny at present, but I'm keeping all fingers (and toes) crossed :biggrin:

Grades permitting, I'll be a choral scholar at Magdalen from October and went through this hassle last year. Surely your teachers have plenty of time to write the references and post them to you between results day and the deadline? It's nearly 2 weeks...
Reply 43
EdmundB
Grades permitting, I'll be a choral scholar at Magdalen from October and went through this hassle last year. Surely your teachers have plenty of time to write the references and post them to you between results day and the deadline? It's nearly 2 weeks...

Good luck to you! I hope you get the grades you need. Will you also be going on one of the Eton choral courses?
I too agree that the time is plenty for writing a reference but I also understand that my Head of VIth Form will be very very busy with last year students with missed offers, clearing, remarks and such as well as students who didn't get the grades at GCSE for the subjects they want to study to A level, with perhaps timetable reshuffling. Also, I don't see why my music teacher should want to hang about the school in August just to write me a reference. If I were him, I wouldn't. :smile:
Reply 44
Choirboy
Good luck to you! I hope you get the grades you need. Will you also be going on one of the Eton choral courses?
I too agree that the time is plenty for writing a reference but I also understand that my Head of VIth Form will be very very busy with last year students with missed offers, clearing, remarks and such as well as students who didn't get the grades at GCSE for the subjects they want to study to A level, with perhaps timetable reshuffling. Also, I don't see why my music teacher should want to hang about the school in August just to write me a reference. If I were him, I wouldn't. :smile:

No - I did one last year which I enjoyed, but once was enough for me - my school choir sings four full services a week so I'm pretty good at sightreading etc, which is the most valuable part of that course. In fact I'd sung most of the stuff we did already! I would recommend it, though.
Reply 45
On this topic, I was wondering if anyone could tell me when you are notified of having actually received the choral scholarship. i.e If offered a choral scholarship in September, then getting an academic offer in December, you obviously still under consideration and in competition 'with the strongest singers who also gain an academic place' (quoted from my letter). Do you find out whether you have been awarded the scholarship AFTER results in August? Or will you be told before?:s:

(sorry to resurrect an old thread :colondollar:)
Reply 46
Original post by Dipathon
On this topic, I was wondering if anyone could tell me when you are notified of having actually received the choral scholarship. i.e If offered a choral scholarship in September, then getting an academic offer in December, you obviously still under consideration and in competition 'with the strongest singers who also gain an academic place' (quoted from my letter). Do you find out whether you have been awarded the scholarship AFTER results in August? Or will you be told before?:s:

(sorry to resurrect an old thread :colondollar:)

It has all changed since this thread. Choral trials are no longer heard in September but after the academic results are out. Kings holds an open day event in September where you get to meet the music director and understand what a choral scholarship involves. Other colleges are always willing to hear somebody sing and indicate whether they are of a high enough standard to make it worth applying if you get an offer.

The problem was that in some colleges over half those given awards didn't go on to get a place so they wait until later. It is only the organ scholars who have trials and academic interviews in September now. That is because there are too few potential organ scholars to go round and only one or two places on offer in any.
Original post by Stretton
It has all changed since this thread. Choral trials are no longer heard in September but after the academic results are out. Kings holds an open day event in September where you get to meet the music director and understand what a choral scholarship involves. Other colleges are always willing to hear somebody sing and indicate whether they are of a high enough standard to make it worth applying if you get an offer.

The problem was that in some colleges over half those given awards didn't go on to get a place so they wait until later. It is only the organ scholars who have trials and academic interviews in September now. That is because there are too few potential organ scholars to go round and only one or two places on offer in any.
NB: that may apply to Cambridge, but I believe things are different in Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending