Manchester
Reply 1
Good: Almost everything.
Bad: Rain.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
good: christmas markets, deansgate, northern quarter, big topshop, gaffs, oak house, samuel alexander building, maths building, patricia duncker, brian cox, kate ash, david alderson, howard booth.
bad: all the other buildings, rusholme, rain, cold, owens park, student union, too big (uni), not big enough (city).
i got my interview at manchester on the 11th december, should be awesome! should i stay the night there as im coming up from london?
Reply 4
Led-Zeppelin
i got my interview at manchester on the 11th december, should be awesome! should i stay the night there as im coming up from london?

Only if you want to...it's only a 2h30 train.
thats not too bad actually i might just come back then in that case
Reply 6
natt__dd
what's good and what's bad?

What course are you looking at?
Reply 7
Good : shopping centres, amazing libraries, lots of societies and sport clubs, curry mile, nightlife, cheap as chips, amazing uni and course and city
Bad : (for me) city and uni are too big.
Reply 8
psychology
got an offer last week.
Reply 9
OhNO!
good: christmas markets, deansgate, northern quarter, big topshop, gaffs, oak house, samuel alexander building, maths building, patricia duncker, brian cox, kate ash, david alderson, howard booth.
bad: all the other buildings, rusholme, rain, cold, owens park, student union, too big (uni), not big enough (city).

:woo:
Blasphemy!
Reply 10
wazza07
:woo:
Blasphemy!

they get into the bop for one pound :frown: bastards.
Reply 11
OhNO!

Only good thing about the Alan Turing building is that the top floor is the Astrophysics dept :p: oh and the Photon Science dept is in there too.

Oh and the cafe thing is called pi in the sky hahaha.

Brian Cox ftw though - did you watch Horizon on Tuesday? :p:
Reply 12
-G-a-v-
Only good thing about the Alan Turing building is that the top floor is the Astrophysics dept :p: oh and the Photon Science dept is in there too.

Oh and the cafe thing is called pi in the sky hahaha.

Brian Cox ftw though - did you watch Horizon on Tuesday? :p:

I love the maths building! it's amazing. too bad they hid it behind the big, ugly tin can. it seems like every cafe/bar in manchester has to have a silly name (bitter suite, anyone?).

yeah! it was amazing. I wish I could understand physics better. maybe I'll go and wander past the physics buildings and see if I can spot him, and get him to explain things.
Reply 13
OhNO!
I love the maths building! it's amazing. too bad they hid it behind the big, ugly tin can. it seems like every cafe/bar in manchester has to have a silly name (bitter suite, anyone?).

yeah! it was amazing. I wish I could understand physics better. maybe I'll go and wander past the physics buildings and see if I can spot him, and get him to explain things.

lol, the physics cafe is called 'the error bar' - which would be fine if the slogan hadnt totally misinterpreted what is meant by an error in physics - the slogan is 'there are no mistakes in our coffee' ... but an error in physics isnt a mistake, its an uncertainity - anyway im gonna stop talking about that before i scare everyone with too much physics

I've not watched it all yet, gonna watch the rest on iplayer in a bit :p: I've only seen him twice since I've been doing physics at Manchester - once when we got him to take part in a staff v student quiz and once when we had a fire alarm and I was in a tutorial on the floor he works on, so TV is probably the only time you'll ever see him :p:

If you want to understand physics better, Horizon is usually a pretty good starting point - and most 'popular' science books are pretty accessible. I think Brian's got a book coming out sooner or later about relativity. Sadly, to go much beyond the 'popular science book' level though in physics, you usually need a fair bit of maths.
Reply 14
-G-a-v-
lol, the physics cafe is called 'the error bar' - which would be fine if the slogan hadnt totally misinterpreted what is meant by an error in physics - the slogan is 'there are no mistakes in our coffee' ... but an error in physics isnt a mistake, its an uncertainity - anyway im gonna stop talking about that before i scare everyone with too much physics

I've not watched it all yet, gonna watch the rest on iplayer in a bit :p: I've only seen him twice since I've been doing physics at Manchester - once when we got him to take part in a staff v student quiz and once when we had a fire alarm and I was in a tutorial on the floor he works on, so TV is probably the only time you'll ever see him :p:

If you want to understand physics better, Horizon is usually a pretty good starting point - and most 'popular' science books are pretty accessible. I think Brian's got a book coming out sooner or later about relativity. Sadly, to go much beyond the 'popular science book' level though in physics, you usually need a fair bit of maths.

you've seen dr. cox in the flesh?! amaaazing. does his hair look as washed out 90s indie band lead singer-esque in person? I bet it does. wowzers. I didn't see him in the maths building today, but I remained alert. hopefully he'll do some sort of public lecture like martin amis.

my ex-boyfriend said it (the horizon prog) was crap, boring, and didn't provide any answers. but, I think it's a bit harsh to blame brian for not being knowing what time is. it explained a lot of stuff to me, I suppose if you knew all that stuff already it'd be a bit boring.

I was looking at physics books today in waterstones, I think I might get "the elegant universe". I have some books about maths, too, so maybe I could read them in conjuction? I'll tell you how it goes.

eta: pi in the sky's slogan is 'you can count on our coffee.' more classic humour from UoM.
Reply 15
OhNO!
you've seen dr. cox in the flesh?! amaaazing. does his hair look as washed out 90s indie band lead singer-esque in person? I bet it does. wowzers. I didn't see him in the maths building today, but I remained alert. hopefully he'll do some sort of public lecture like martin amis.

my ex-boyfriend said it (the horizon prog) was crap, boring, and didn't provide any answers. but, I think it's a bit harsh to blame brian for not being knowing what time is. it explained a lot of stuff to me, I suppose if you knew all that stuff already it'd be a bit boring.

I was looking at physics books today in waterstones, I think I might get "the elegant universe". I have some books about maths, too, so maybe I could read them in conjuction? I'll tell you how it goes.

eta: pi in the sky's slogan is 'you can count on our coffee.' more classic humour from UoM.

I'm afraid I didn't see him particularly close up :p: I don't think it's likely to find him in the Turing building, he lives in the Schuster building (when he's not on TV or at CERN anyway...)

I've still not watched it all, but presumably it talks abit about time dilation and whatnot? (i.e. time slows down the faster you travel..) - meh if Horizon was that crap, it wouldnt still be running. Besides, there's only so deep shows like that can go anyway. Like I say, its a good 'starting point'.

I've just thought actually....probably the best place to start with physics is 'Six Easy Pieces' by the absolute legend that is Richard Feynman, which are taken straight out of his set of 'Lectures on Physics'. Then after that there's 'Six Not So Easy Pieces'.

I quite enjoyed 'In Seach of Schrodingers Cat' as an introduction to quantum mechanics but Brian Greene is pretty good too. I've not really come across many popular science accounts of relativity, though I'm sure there are some.

Alternatively, youtube is your friend...sometimes anyway, I remember seeing a video of Brian Cox talking about the Large Hadron Collider on there not long ago, was pretty good.

As for the pi in the sky slogan, that's nearly as bad as the error bar's :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending