The Student Room Group

Internal Thermostat Problem?

Does anyone have any idea why I get cold [and hot, but to a lesser extent] so easily? This was especially noticeable in Corfu, when it’s 30+ degrees, and I’m in the shade- I feel cold, I just had to drink a cold drink and I got goosepimples and all my hairs stood on end. My mum says it’s all in my head, but I do actually feel really cold! The air conditioning kept me awake some nights because 22 degrees with 2 thin sheets was FREEZING, the rest of my family seemed fine with it! And on the plane and lots of other instances! Next time I go on a plane I’m wearing a couple of woolly jumpers! It seems when I’m not doing anything, my temperature drops way too cold and I can’t keep myself warm! Yet when I suddenly do something I get hot quickly too. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suggest you get yourself checked for something called Reynaud's Syndrome, which is defined as poor circulation to the peripheral organs, and so could explain why you often feel cold when everyone else is fine.
could also be your menopause :eek:

MB
Reply 3
musicbloke
could also be your menopause :eek:

MB
:rofl: my periods aren't getting further apart though :frown:
Reply 4
Saffie
Does anyone have any idea why I get cold [and hot, but to a lesser extent] so easily? This was especially noticeable in Corfu, when it’s 30+ degrees, and I’m in the shade- I feel cold, I just had to drink a cold drink and I got goosepimples and all my hairs stood on end. My mum says it’s all in my head, but I do actually feel really cold! The air conditioning kept me awake some nights because 22 degrees with 2 thin sheets was FREEZING, the rest of my family seemed fine with it! And on the plane and lots of other instances! Next time I go on a plane I’m wearing a couple of woolly jumpers! It seems when I’m not doing anything, my temperature drops way too cold and I can’t keep myself warm! Yet when I suddenly do something I get hot quickly too. :confused:

Ooh I'm just like that too! :eek: When everyone else is in t-shirts and shorts/skirts im in jeans and a thick jumper and still cold :confused: I don't tend to get hot as easily though. Tis weird, I thought I was the only one, luckily I'm not :biggrin:
Michelle2
I suggest you get yourself checked for something called Reynaud's Syndrome, which is defined as poor circulation to the peripheral organs, and so could explain why you often feel cold when everyone else is fine.

reynauds is causes by arterial spasm and doesn't present anything like this.
if she was just hot when everyone else is cold or vice versa I'd say get checked for thyroid problems, but as is am not too sure.
go to docs if it worries you - if it doesn't then don't sweat it :smile:
Reply 6
Jamie
reynauds is causes by arterial spasm and doesn't present anything like this.
if she was just hot when everyone else is cold or vice versa I'd say get checked for thyroid problems, but as is am not too sure.
go to docs if it worries you - if it doesn't then don't sweat it :smile:
Indeed, just search reynauds and I'm pretty sure I don't have it!

I won't be sweating it! I just need more clothes! :biggrin:
Reply 7
BabyAngel
Ooh I'm just like that too! :eek: When everyone else is in t-shirts and shorts/skirts im in jeans and a thick jumper and still cold :confused: I don't tend to get hot as easily though. Tis weird, I thought I was the only one, luckily I'm not :biggrin:

It happens to me too. I get cold easily, and will sometimes need to borrow a jacket if I don't have one with me. But I live in Canada so I may not be alone in this. :cool:
Reply 8
Gwen
It happens to me too. I get cold easily, and will sometimes need to borrow a jacket if I don't have one with me. But I live in Canada so I may not be alone in this. :cool:

A Canadian told me that some parents thought it was good to leave their baby outside in the cold for a few minutes so they became used to the cold Canadian winters. I'm not sure if that's ethically acceptable any longer.

Jamie probably made the right diagnosis there because feeling hot/cold is typical of thyroid problems. I've had to have a few thryoid tests in the past myself.
Reply 9
BabyAngel

:dito: I'm exactly the same. Especially in winter where I have 2 hot-water bottles, an extra heater, and wear a jumper in bed and I'm still cold :frown:
Reply 10
I'm always like that. My dad used to joke that it is because I'm cold blooded, but its probably because of my gallstones :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Twaffy
I'm always like that. My dad used to joke that it is because I'm cold blooded, but its probably because of my gallstones :rolleyes:
how do gallstones make you cold? :confused:
Reply 12
I remember I was so cold on holiday in Minorca I was wearing a coat....in August :eek: I think it may have been more to do with sunstroke...or something though. I hope you get it sorted Saffie, sorry I'm not much help!
Reply 13
Saffie

I have no idea but i read the sheet the consultant gave us :redface:
Saffie

they don't or i would know about it.
With cholangitis (infection of gall bladder/infected gall stones) you do get fever and chills though. that might be what she/he is thinking of
Reply 15
Thats it. Sorry if I've confused anybody.
so the moral of the thread is that both saffie and <3 are rather picky and hard to please when it comes to ambient temperature :p:
Reply 17
Jamie
so the moral of the thread is that both saffie and <3 are rather picky and hard to please when it comes to ambient temperature :p:
Thanks for your expert evaluation mister! :rolleyes:
Jamie

include me in that...but i do have raynauds syndrome - not the full-blown disease though!
Reply 19
Jamie

.........classic rofl - better than my proposed answer regarding percentages of bodyfat against total bodyweight........

Latest

Trending

Trending