The Student Room Group

Is KCL still any good? Please help

Hi everyone, I'm studying international relations (undergrad) next year and I've got offers from Warwick and KCL (and rejected after the interview at Cambridge), and I'm still waiting on Bristol and LSE. The problem is I'm not sure I'll get into LSE because I only cited one book in my PS and everyone has decidedly cited/talked about more, so I'm trying to make my peace with it. The problem is I'm an international student and fees are very expensive.

My parents really want me to go to KCL and seem ready to pay. I know we'll manage to afford tuition (though it'll make a significant dent in our finances), but I wouldn't feel right making my parents pay if the school wasn't worth it, and from being on forums here a while, it seems KCL isn't held in the highest esteem. I was also unconditionally accepted to the dutch uni Leiden, much more affordable and also pretty respectable, though I think a lot less reputable than KCL.

I'm a little at a loss on what to do here, I'd love to study in London at KCL but I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I want to know I'll be able to get a masters/job (of course provided I work hard) after my undergrad, and I don't want my parents' investment in my future and education to be a waste. My goals are to work in an international relations career in either the US or the UK (really anywhere but in France, my home country) so that's also a factor I need to consider.

Any advice?
Original post by Serena3333
Hi everyone, I'm studying international relations (undergrad) next year and I've got offers from Warwick and KCL (and rejected after the interview at Cambridge), and I'm still waiting on Bristol and LSE. The problem is I'm not sure I'll get into LSE because I only cited one book in my PS and everyone has decidedly cited/talked about more, so I'm trying to make my peace with it. The problem is I'm an international student and fees are very expensive.

My parents really want me to go to KCL and seem ready to pay. I know we'll manage to afford tuition (though it'll make a significant dent in our finances), but I wouldn't feel right making my parents pay if the school wasn't worth it, and from being on forums here a while, it seems KCL isn't held in the highest esteem. I was also unconditionally accepted to the dutch uni Leiden, much more affordable and also pretty respectable, though I think a lot less reputable than KCL.

I'm a little at a loss on what to do here, I'd love to study in London at KCL but I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I want to know I'll be able to get a masters/job (of course provided I work hard) after my undergrad, and I don't want my parents' investment in my future and education to be a waste. My goals are to work in an international relations career in either the US or the UK (really anywhere but in France, my home country) so that's also a factor I need to consider.

Any advice?

King's is good for IR, particularly if you're interested in conflict studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending