The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lovely_me
Is there anything else about you that can be compared to a battering ram? :daydreaming:

That is terrible.
Reply 5501
Original post by Seanisonfire
Got to entertain the kids

I'm not gonna take this anymore!
Original post by channy

Original post by channy
I'm not gonna take this anymore!

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone.

I want you to get mad!

I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

"I'm as mad as hell,

and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5503
I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone.

I want you to get mad!

I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

"I'm as mad as hell,

and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

****ing class.
That is terrible.

I know. :ashamed2:
You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it!! Is that clear?! You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case. The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multi-national dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, Reichmarks, Yen, Rubles, Pounds, and Shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU WILL ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM and ITT and AT&T and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state ó Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that perfect world in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality ó one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock, all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.
It's too late, Diana! There's nothing left in you that I can live with! You're one of Howard's humanoids, and, if I stay with you, I'll be destroyed! Like Howard Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything you and the institution of television touch is destroyed. You are television incarnate, Diana, indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

Ok I'll stop now, but dam I love that film.
I really liked Prince Caspian, even more than the first. Also, not strictly films but Poirot was as brilliant as ever.

I also didn't realise The Way Back was released tomorrow. Might have to go and see that next week.

Also, if I see one more post saying that 2010 has been a terrible year for films I might go insane. 2010 has had some great movies; across the board, it's probably been one of the strongest years in recent memory.
These hour long bbc commisioned drama's with wizened old hands are welcomingly good. John Hurt as always is :fan:
Reply 5509
Original post by elisabethbridge
Merry Christmas, everyone!! :smile:

Haven't been posting for a while... the internet at my dad's is diabolical so I can't be bothered with it most of the time. Gonna watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest tonight though! I shall report back later on.

Excellent choice, Nicholson is god in that movie. :yep:

I finally watched Tron. :biggrin: I wasn't blown away, but it wasn't as hard to appreciate as I thought it might be... but now I'm not hugely anticipating watching the sequel. Though I think I will anyway.
Original post by Abiraleft
Excellent choice, Nicholson is god in that movie. :yep:

I finally watched Tron. :biggrin: I wasn't blown away, but it wasn't as hard to appreciate as I thought it might be... but now I'm not hugely anticipating watching the sequel. Though I think I will anyway.

Man, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was brilliant!! I started watching it without really expecting anything and boy, did it grip me. Powerful stuff. Straight up there with my all time favourites. The Chief is a total legend of a character.

Spoiler

Original post by elisabethbridge
Man, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was brilliant!! I started watching it without really expecting anything and boy, did it grip me. Powerful stuff. Straight up there with my all time favourites. The Chief is a total legend of a character.

Spoiler

The whole thing is basically Ken Kesey's counter-cultural retelling of the Jesus story, it kinda had to end that way.
Guys, you should all get The Pacific in blu ray (I know it's a TV series, but it has all the production values of a blockbuster). It's one of the best I've seen so far, far better than The Dark Knight and Inception.

Plus, The Alien Anthology in blu-ray. :coma:
Reply 5513
Original post by Madjackismad
Plus, The Alien Anthology in blu-ray. :coma:

It's my birthday tomorrow, I'm hoping my mum got the hints for this baby! :colondollar:

That is brilliant.
Full Tron soundtrack up on spotify :woohoo:
Original post by Phalanges

That is brilliant.

Wow.
Merry Christmas to you too. (well, belated)
That is skill. :biggrin:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Spoiler

Merry Christmas, film thread posters! :wizard:

Have a good one. :h:
Original post by Phalanges
Lol, you read that when me and unknownking were discussing how good it would be purely hypothetically. :p:

Ah! Good idea though. :colondollar:

Original post by Billa Bong
haha noice...reps for effort :smile:

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Merry Christmas! And WOW!

Original post by sheep_go_baa
Haha! That was awesome!

Original post by The Cornerstone
:zomg: it must of taken you all night!!

Original post by romeoandjuliet

That is skill. :biggrin:

Original post by FinalFlash
How long did that take you? :zomg:

I wonder if it was the biggest mega quote on TSR. :teeth:

Original post by sheep_go_baa
SAME! I'm going to watch Tron tommorrow though, but today, I think I may indulge myself in a LOTR marathon :biggrin:

Extended editions enhance the experience so much.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Extended editions enhance the experience so much.

I wouldn't dream of having a LOTR marathon if not watching the extended versions:biggrin:

Latest