The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
If I apply for the lower end of the rent in my first year what are those rooms like, and will I be put with other 1st years? Also is there a down alternative prospectus? Cant find one!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Orrin
If I apply for the lower end of the rent in my first year what are those rooms like, and will I be put with other 1st years? Also is there a down alternative prospectus? Cant find one!

Hey! The lower end rooms are still awesome. I applied for one of them and ended up getting a huge en-suite. There must be some sort of cut-off where the college deems some rooms as the lower band and some the upper band, but I've really no idea where that is. If you choose upper band, you'll likely end up in Howard Court I guess, whereas lower band you're more likely to end up in one of the staircases. Either way, Downing first year accommodation is ridiculously awesome, so don't worry about it.

And yep, you should be put with first years. My staircase in first year had a few second years in, but I think they've changed it so all the places with freshers in are almost entirely first year accommodation. You might have one or two non-freshers around you, but your place of accommodation will be probably 90% surrounded by people in your year.

There's a Downing entry on the new Alternative Prospectus website here: http://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/dow/

Feel free to shout if you have any other questions!
Reply 862
Original post by Stratocaster
Hey! The lower end rooms are still awesome. I applied for one of them and ended up getting a huge en-suite. There must be some sort of cut-off where the college deems some rooms as the lower band and some the upper band, but I've really no idea where that is. If you choose upper band, you'll likely end up in Howard Court I guess, whereas lower band you're more likely to end up in one of the staircases. Either way, Downing first year accommodation is ridiculously awesome, so don't worry about it.

And yep, you should be put with first years. My staircase in first year had a few second years in, but I think they've changed it so all the places with freshers in are almost entirely first year accommodation. You might have one or two non-freshers around you, but your place of accommodation will be probably 90% surrounded by people in your year.

There's a Downing entry on the new Alternative Prospectus website here: http://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges/dow/

Feel free to shout if you have any other questions!

Thanks! Whats the JCR like? Do they have sky TV?

And also does Downing guarantee 4th year accomadation? And if not what are my chances of getting it?
Original post by Orrin
Thanks! Whats the JCR like? Do they have sky TV?

And also does Downing guarantee 4th year accomadation? And if not what are my chances of getting it?

Well, we've got the JCR Bar and the TV Room. The former is really cool, pretty cheap and doubles up during the day as a small cafe. I don't think the latter has Sky TV, but I think it might have a Wii or something there.

Downing doesn't guarantee fourth year accommodation, but you can apply for it. I'm not sure as to how likely you are to get it, but I'll ask my friend who runs the ballot (JCR President) and get back to you.
Reply 864
Well, we've got the JCR Bar and the TV Room. The former is really cool, pretty cheap and doubles up during the day as a small cafe. I don't think the latter has Sky TV, but I think it might have a Wii or something there.

Downing doesn't guarantee fourth year accommodation, but you can apply for it. I'm not sure as to how likely you are to get it, but I'll ask my friend who runs the ballot (JCR President) and get back to you.

It would be a huge drawback if Downing doesn't guarantee 4th year accommodation for an engineeering applicant! :curious: I look forward to hearing from you.:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by melts
It would be a huge drawback if Downing doesn't guarantee 4th year accommodation for an engineeering applicant! :curious: I look forward to hearing from you.:biggrin:

Okay, so I checked and as I said, Downing definitely doesn't guarantee fourth year accommodation, and you're pretty unlikely to get it if you applied. Having said that, don't let having to get outside accommodation put you off too much if you still really like the look of Downing.
I'm applying for NatSci (Physical) and I am currently trying to decide on a college. Downing looks really good and I like how close it is to the Chemistry department. I'd prefer an en-suite room in my first year, so what are the chances of getting one? Help is appreciated.
Original post by vedderfan94
I'm applying for NatSci (Physical) and I am currently trying to decide on a college. Downing looks really good and I like how close it is to the Chemistry department. I'd prefer an en-suite room in my first year, so what are the chances of getting one? Help is appreciated.

Downing first year rooms are great! You can pick between a higher or lower rent band (maximum being about £130 pw). If you pick higher, you're guaranteed ensuite, if you pick lower, there's still a good chance :smile:
Reply 868
Okay, so I checked and as I said, Downing definitely doesn't guarantee fourth year accommodation, and you're pretty unlikely to get it if you applied. Having said that, don't let having to get outside accommodation put you off too much if you still really like the look of Downing.

Does an international student get a higher chance of having 4th year accommodation?
Reply 869
Original post by --at--

Original post by --at--
Hey

I know - how could downing be missing a thread!
I got an offer for Economics - 3 As - for 2007.

Wow well done, What advice would I give me for an economics interview?
Original post by melts

You might be sick of living in student accommodation by the time you become a fourth year anyway :tongue:
I sent away my fee status questionnaire about 4-5 days ago, but haven't got any confirmation that they've received it? Should I have? I suppose its possible they just haven't got round to looking at it yet but I'd like to know so I can send another if necessary. I was thinking of emailing them and asking. Anyone else know about this?
Thanks.
Hi,
I sent my fee status questionnaire off to downing about 4-5 days ago, should I expect a confirmation email from them? Just to say they've received it so I know whether to send another one if not.
Thanks in advance
Original post by Bigoilymen
Hi,
I sent my fee status questionnaire off to downing about 4-5 days ago, should I expect a confirmation email from them? Just to say they've received it so I know whether to send another one if not.
Thanks in advance

I'm not too sure about Downing (each college seems to handle things differently), but in general, the next thing you should hear from them is an interview invitation. So nope. No acknowledgements for your fee status questionnaire.
okay, thank you. I suppose if they need anything more they would have asked by now
Original post by Bigoilymen
I sent away my fee status questionnaire about 4-5 days ago, but haven't got any confirmation that they've received it? Should I have? I suppose its possible they just haven't got round to looking at it yet but I'd like to know so I can send another if necessary. I was thinking of emailing them and asking. Anyone else know about this?
Thanks.

Sent you an email address to contact via PM :smile:
Hiii
Umm quick question...
Random, but do ya have to be a music student to audition for the college choir? AND how does the choir audition work?
Reply 877
Hi. How competitive is it at Downing for medicine? Is it slightly harder to get in than other colleges? I know the pool balances it out, but well, I really want to get into Downing. :redface:
Got an offer from Downing for Vet medicine :smile: Anyone else got offers for 2012?
Original post by harricarter11
Got an offer from Downing for Vet medicine :smile: Anyone else got offers for 2012?

Well done :biggrin: I've got an offer for law!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending