The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Conditional offer for transfer

Hi, I have an offer for a 2nd year transfer here but the condition is very high (A 1st class) in the first year- 70%.

I am aiming for this, but if I miss the 1st by a couple to few percent (eg 65-69% instead of 705)- how likely will I be rejected?

Thanks
Reply 1
I'd be inclined to say very likely. When I transferred a condition was a 2:1 or a 2:2 so a first does seem high. I guess it depends in your subject and how many spaces there are on the course. Remember you can still go through clearing for transfers!

But don'tbe negative, a first is easily achievable if you look at the mark schemes when completing your work. Stay positive and you may surprise yourself:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
What subject are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by snufkin_
I'd be inclined to say very likely. When I transferred a condition was a 2:1 or a 2:2 so a first does seem high. I guess it depends in your subject and how many spaces there are on the course. Remember you can still go through clearing for transfers!

But don'tbe negative, a first is easily achievable if you look at the mark schemes when completing your work. Stay positive and you may surprise yourself:

When did you transfer, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, A 1st is being demanded. I was originally aiming for a 2.1 in year 1, but now have to work even harder fora 1st.

There is a chance I may not make it ....and just want to be prepared....
Reply 4
Original post by analani
When did you transfer, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, A 1st is being demanded. I was originally aiming for a 2.1 in year 1, but now have to work even harder fora 1st.

There is a chance I may not make it ....and just want to be prepared....

I transferred universities this current academic year.

No one can tell you if they will or won't accept you with a 2:1, if the course isn't that competitive and there are plenty of spaces you may be in for a shot. Your best bet is to contact the course leader and request material for the first year, or ask to be put into contact with some of the current first years. If the course leader knows you have integrated yourself well within the group and knows you are trying hard to ensure that you won't be behind, and have chosen your second year modules etc. they may not turn you away with a 2:1.

But, that is solely at the course leaders discretion.
Reply 5
Original post by snufkin_
I transferred universities this current academic year.

No one can tell you if they will or won't accept you with a 2:1, if the course isn't that competitive and there are plenty of spaces you may be in for a shot. Your best bet is to contact the course leader and request material for the first year, or ask to be put into contact with some of the current first years. If the course leader knows you have integrated yourself well within the group and knows you are trying hard to ensure that you won't be behind, and have chosen your second year modules etc. they may not turn you away with a 2:1.

But, that is solely at the course leaders discretion.

Hi, thank you for this response. I will certainly do what you have suggested in bold. Fingers crossed!
I'd be inclined to say that if you missed it by a small amount then they'd let you in if they had spaces. Depending on the course (although this is the case for most courses), they probably wont be banking on filling up any spaces after second year because while first years are generally quite similar across unis, they start to cover different areas to each other in second year so courses aren't compatible, and generally people who aren't settled sort it out during/in the summer after first year. As long as they're not oversubscribed they'll want the fees from you and to fill up the course, they obviously wont want someone who'll drag their average down.

It's worth getting hold of first year material though, then they'll know you're determined to make it work, and you'll stand a better chance if you get consistent results as well (ie: if you have a decent 2:1 in every module you're doing, you'll be better off than having a first in a couple and 2:2s or 3rds in others with the same overall average) so keep that in mind too.

I wouldn't bank on it though, it would be the wrong attitude to go for a 2:1 and hope, and will just stress you out majorly, so go for the first. That is a very high offer for a transfer though, I transferred to Astrophysics from York uni this year, they asked for 60% with a minimum of 55% in each module, and that was higher than their standard offer due to a few differences in the courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending