The Student Room Group

The Trans*/Non-Cisgender Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
See, I actually like the singular 'they', and I resent people who refuse to use it because it's 'grammatically incorrect'. Nothing wrong with it if that's not your pronoun, obviously, but I really hate it when people are like 'we have to use ze/zir for someone whose gender is unknown because 'they' is wrong!' because as far as I'm concerned, 'ze' genders said person as being non-binary, whereas 'they' means said person could be of any gender whatsoever.
How would you describe your gender and sexual identity?
FTM. Male. I have no idea about my sexuality, I am just a very confused little boy. I'm pretty sure I'm asexual but maybe panromantic I don't know I get very attached to people but I'm failing to learn how to tell the difference between platonic feelings and.. something-more feelings. Sigh.
What are your preferred pronouns?
He, him, his.
Are you out to anyone in real life/offline?
Almost everyone I come into everyday/regular contact with knows. It's a gradual process of telling people as the time comes I guess. I'm not actively hiding it from anyone.
Do you have any long-term plans with regards to surgery/hormones/similar?
Had my second appointment at charing cross on wednesday, I had to get a second blood test but if that checks out fine I should hopefully be approved to start Testosterone within the next couple of months. I'd REALLY like to start before I go to uni in september if I can. I want to go private for top surgery and get it in America because I'm more convinced with results over there. Not looking to get bottom surgery at this point in time, but one day maybe.

I have an account but posting anon for now because I don't want the entire uni to know when I start there in September. I live in central London at the moment but will be gone by the end of the year!

Anyways.. hi!
Original post by kerily
See, I actually like the singular 'they', and I resent people who refuse to use it because it's 'grammatically incorrect'. Nothing wrong with it if that's not your pronoun, obviously, but I really hate it when people are like 'we have to use ze/zir for someone whose gender is unknown because 'they' is wrong!' because as far as I'm concerned, 'ze' genders said person as being non-binary, whereas 'they' means said person could be of any gender whatsoever.

An excellent point. I always try to use 'they' when referring to someone of ambiguous gender or a small child for this reason.

Also, and I apologise if this comes across as rude or dismissive, I find it difficult to see how the pronouns 'ze' & 'zir' fit into English very well. I think perhaps 'thon' would be more fitting, or perhaps another 'Englishy' pronoun.
Reply 403
Original post by najinaji
An excellent point. I always try to use 'they' when referring to someone of ambiguous gender or a small child for this reason.

Also, and I apologise if this comes across as rude or dismissive, I find it difficult to see how the pronouns 'ze' & 'zir' fit into English very well. I think perhaps 'thon' would be more fitting, or perhaps another 'Englishy' pronoun.

I agree - "they" comes more naturally (in English, at least) than most other neutral pronouns. With "ze", I find the "zir/hir/etc" part particularly really hard to use in sentences, which is why "they" is still easier for me, over the rest anyway. However, if it's someone's preference, I won't refuse. I would never refuse to use someone else's pronoun just because I wasn't a fan...

I just realised I didn't explain that very well. Sounded more contradictory than it really is. "They" is still difficult to use (because I'm really anal about that kind of thing), but "ze" and similar ones are more so. I'm trying to get used to the whole lot, just so I can use them all when required. But I've not found a neutral pronoun yet that doesn't grate on my senses at all. Which is sad. But still.

I still think there's room for improvement on the neutral-pronouns front. I can use "they" without too much difficulty, but it still gives me the feeling that there must be something that will work better. I just want people to get used to seeing pronouns other than "he" or "she"... because I'm annoying that way.
(edited 12 years ago)
To be honest I think the reason why pronouns like ze/hir feel unnatural or grating is because you just aren't used to them. People use he/she their entire lives, so changing that feels weird. I had a friend that preferred gender neutral pronouns and once I got used to them it felt a lot less awkward to use them. You could make up anything and call it a gender neutral pronoun but it would still feel weird until you got used to it imo because you are having to think about it, it isn't ingrained into you so at first it will feel very deliberate and awkward.
I think that 'they' feels strange because it already has a meaning in english so substituting it for pronouns feels 'wrong' in that sense. Although I agree with what kerily said about they being sort of all-encompassing and not specifically being used to describe someone of non-binary gender.
If you check the wikipedia page for gender neutral pronouns there are a few different ones on there you may feel more comfortable with if you don't like ze/hir. Or just make up your own! People will have to learn/get used to them whatever they are so honestly you could tell them anything.
Reply 405
Original post by fabbykadabra
To be honest I think the reason why pronouns like ze/hir feel unnatural or grating is because you just aren't used to them. People use he/she their entire lives, so changing that feels weird. I had a friend that preferred gender neutral pronouns and once I got used to them it felt a lot less awkward to use them. You could make up anything and call it a gender neutral pronoun but it would still feel weird until you got used to it imo because you are having to think about it, it isn't ingrained into you so at first it will feel very deliberate and awkward.
I think that 'they' feels strange because it already has a meaning in english so substituting it for pronouns feels 'wrong' in that sense. Although I agree with what kerily said about they being sort of all-encompassing and not specifically being used to describe someone of non-binary gender.
If you check the wikipedia page for gender neutral pronouns there are a few different ones on there you may feel more comfortable with if you don't like ze/hir. Or just make up your own! People will have to learn/get used to them whatever they are so honestly you could tell them anything.

Wise words. That's why I've been trying to use them as often as I can, because I want to be able to use them when required without my personal... anal-ness(?) getting in the way :biggrin:

I'm probably making life more difficult for myself because I'm trying to get used to using several of the pronouns on Wikipedia's list at the same time (well, not literally, obviously :colondollar:), just in case, which I admit is pretty stupid.

I like the "tell them anything" idea though. Mwah ha ha...
Original post by Anomaly11
Wise words. That's why I've been trying to use them as often as I can, because I want to be able to use them when required without my personal... anal-ness(?) getting in the way :biggrin:

I'm probably making life more difficult for myself because I'm trying to get used to using several of the pronouns on Wikipedia's list at the same time (well, not literally, obviously :colondollar:), just in case, which I admit is pretty stupid.

I like the "tell them anything" idea though. Mwah ha ha...

Haha yeah maybe try and stick to one set at a time.. :P I think that people who do go by gender neutral pronouns generally understand it takes people some getting used to so they aren't gonna be like furious at you just because you aren't 'prepared' :tongue:

But it is nice to know someone is making the effort. I have enough trouble getting people used to using male pronouns with me, and that's not even new vocabulary for them. So I can only imagine the frustration for anyone wishing to go by gender neutral pronouns. D:
I wish there was a way to find out if any other trans* people were going to be at the same uni as me. I saw one guy who has the uni I'm going to as a second choice but I wish I knew there would definitely be someone there.
Reply 408
Original post by Anonymous
I wish there was a way to find out if any other trans* people were going to be at the same uni as me. I saw one guy who has the uni I'm going to as a second choice but I wish I knew there would definitely be someone there.

Without wanting to sound like a massive misery, I'd honestly think it wisest to operate on the assumption that there won't be anyone, and aim your application strategically at universities in areas which have a decent level of trans support. Of course, if you want to go to uni in the middle of nowhere then by all means do so. But statistically, while there are likely to be trans people at your uni, the chances of them being out are quite low (I only know of 4 trans students at UCL, myself included, and I'm the only one who's publicly out) and so I'd recommend having other avenues of support in mind.
Yeah, I already know where I am going so it doesn't really matter, and it isn't going to be the end of the world if there isn't anyone else there, it would just be nice if there was. It's frustrating that they could be right under my nose without me ever realising. :P
4 is quite a lot, but then again it is London. I actually live in London right now (in Bloomsbury in fact!) so I'm used to having plenty of support and this will be an interesting change. I just hope it goes well.
I am applying for accommodation and would really prefer to have ensuite accommodation for obvious reasons. On the form there is a section for 'special requirements' is it worth noting it here, or shall I contact accommodation directly, or will it be pointless/they won't accommodate?
Reply 411
Yeah, I already know where I am going so it doesn't really matter, and it isn't going to be the end of the world if there isn't anyone else there, it would just be nice if there was. It's frustrating that they could be right under my nose without me ever realising. :P
4 is quite a lot, but then again it is London. I actually live in London right now (in Bloomsbury in fact!) so I'm used to having plenty of support and this will be an interesting change. I just hope it goes well.

So this is creepy, but I live in Bloomsbury too. So they are under your nose without you ever realising :ahee: Isn't it... a nice place? By which I mean it's full of posh people and you have to walk for aaaaages to get to any supermarket that's not a Waitrose. Ooops.

I am applying for accommodation and would really prefer to have ensuite accommodation for obvious reasons. On the form there is a section for 'special requirements' is it worth noting it here, or shall I contact accommodation directly, or will it be pointless/they won't accommodate?

I would put it on AND contact accommodation directly. Mither as many people as you can, and enclose a letter explaining.

Do you have a diagnosis of GID/have you begun medically transitioning? If so, it would be worth looking into whether you can get DSA to cover the cost of the en-suite.
Hahaha we trek all the way to Sainbury's in islington to do big shops, but do go to the brunswich center to get some things if we're too lazy to go all the way. Since the BC was refurbished and Waitrose replaced Safeways/Morrisons our grocery budget has gone up a LOT. Lol.

And thanks! I did both in the end. And yes I'm diagnosed, and due to be referred to my GP for hormones within the next few weeks - I just need to wait for my blood test to get processed as they messed it up the last time. Do you think it would cover GID? I don't consider myself disabled but I certainly wouldn't say no to any free money.. :P
Hahaha we trek all the way to Sainbury's in islington to do big shops, but do go to the brunswich center to get some things if we're too lazy to go all the way. Since the BC was refurbished and Waitrose replaced Safeways/Morrisons our grocery budget has gone up a LOT. Lol.

And thanks! I did both in the end. And yes I'm diagnosed, and due to be referred to my GP for hormones within the next few weeks - I just need to wait for my blood test to get processed as they messed it up the last time. Do you think it would cover GID? I don't consider myself disabled but I certainly wouldn't say no to any free money.. :P

You can find out more about DSA here. I don't know enough about it to say whether or not you're eligible, nor has a quick Google turned up anything useful, so I'd recommend contacting Citizens Advice since they'll have more information on it. Alternatively, if you'd rather not have to explain your circumstances to them, you could try getting in touch with a trans "charity" - I'm sure you won't be the first person to have asked about DSA! :wink:
Reply 414
*danders in and looks around*

I want my skirts back.
hey all, its been to long since I last posted here. I hope you all are doing well,

as for me, its been ok...some positives - Im now completly out around friends, and ive had some good nights out in pubs etc, as myself. The usual wierd/bad looks, but nothing more, - that was made up for by the amazing reaction from my friends though.
The downside has been that im still not completly out to my family yet - they know, but im still scared/putting off actaully dressing and being myself around them... hopefully this will happen at one point though.

Lily
x
Reply 416
I just found this game/animation about being MTF and I thought you might find it interesting. I did.
Reply 417
Original post by fabbykadabra
Haha yeah maybe try and stick to one set at a time.. :P I think that people who do go by gender neutral pronouns generally understand it takes people some getting used to so they aren't gonna be like furious at you just because you aren't 'prepared' :tongue:

But it is nice to know someone is making the effort. I have enough trouble getting people used to using male pronouns with me, and that's not even new vocabulary for them. So I can only imagine the frustration for anyone wishing to go by gender neutral pronouns. D:

True (and same here, just switching pronouns within the binary seems like too much to ask :mad:). I'm trying to be patient, and I don't hold it against people if they get them wrong... but only for a limited time. Then they die.

Life is fun.
Original post by Pi!
I just found this game/animation about being MTF and I thought you might find it interesting. I did.

I've never seen anything like this before, it's cool to see a game be able to explain something so well.
Hey, Im not sure if any of you are interested - or what the rules are, but this may be of interest to some of you:

http://equalmagazine.tumblr.com/

Its a new magazine thats being set up, and they are looking for LGBT+ contributors,

lily
x

Quick Reply

Latest