The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper (10th Jan 2012)

Anyone doing this exam. If so, how are you preparing for it?
Any tips, advice....share it here :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's very hard for me to find any revision material online for this exam as most refer to the old spec with two papers! Argh!
Reply 2
A2 AQA English language A section b

Hi....Does anyone know what came up in section B of the June 2011 ENGA3 (AQA A2 English language A) exam last year?
Reply 3
Original post by Gloria1234
A2 AQA English language A section b

Hi....Does anyone know what came up in section B of the June 2011 ENGA3 (AQA A2 English language A) exam last year?

Sorry, I only have GCSE stuff!
Reply 4
Original post by Sapien
It's very hard for me to find any revision material online for this exam as most refer to the old spec with two papers! Argh!

Sameee here. :smile: But the structure of the paper hasn't much. all the stuff such as writing to describe/explain etc aren't gonna change either.

I'm just revising the techniques more than anything.
Reply 5
Original post by (L)*
Sameee here. :smile: But the structure of the paper hasn't much. all the stuff such as writing to describe/explain etc aren't gonna change either.

I'm just revising the techniques more than anything.

Yeah, same here! I've got a host of Section B 16 & 24 mark questions if you want them for practice!

Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Sapien
Yeah, same here! I've got a host of Section B 16 & 24 mark questions if you want them for practice!

Best of luck!

That would be reaaaaaaaaally great :h:

Thanks, good luck aswell :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by (L)*
That would be reaaaaaaaaally great :h:

Thanks, good luck aswell :smile:

1. Inform the examiner about what you are really like.
2. Explain what you intend to achieve in the next year and explain how you intend to achieve these things.
3. Describe the view from your bedroom window.
4. Your local council is planning to develop a Youth Centre in your area. Write a letter to the leader of the council. Explain why a Youth Centre is a good idea and give information about the facilities and events you would like to have.
5. Many people are interested in animals. Write an informative article on an animal or animals of your choice.
6. Teenagers are often criticised in newspapers. Write a letter to the editor of a national newspaper explaining why this is often unfair.
7. Describe your home.
8. Childhood memories can be very important. Choose one childhood memory. Describe the memory and explain its importance to you.
9. Choose something you are interested in and know about. Write about it in a way which will inform other people.
10. Think about a decision you, or someone close to you, has made that has changed your life or the lives of other people. Explain what the decision was and the changes it brought about.
11. Write informatively about a journey you have made and describe the things you saw on the way.
12. School students sometimes say they get bored in the long summer holidays. Write an article for a local newspaper informing students of the different things they could do to prevent boredom.
13. Explain what qualities you think a best friend should have and explain, giving examples, why you think this.
14. Describe yourself.
15. Change can be good, bad or a mixture of both. Write about a time in your life when you experienced change of some kind. Describe what happened and explain how you felt about the change.
16. Write a letter to a friend who moved away from your area three months ago. Inform him or her of the things that have been happening to you over the last three months.
17. Explain what you think is needed to build a good relationship between parents and teenage children and explain why you think this.
18. Describe the person or people you would most like to go on holiday with you and explain why you would like to share a holiday with them.
19. Write a letter to the governors of your school informing them of the changes you would like to be made in your school and the reasons for these changes.
20. Explain what your dreams and ambitions for the future are. Explain, also, how you could achieve them.
21. Describe a nightmare world.
22. Many young people have concerns about the world in which they live. Write informatively about one or more of your concerns and explain the reasons for them.
23. Write an information leaflet on an area you know well. You could include information on places to visit and things to do there.
24. Write a letter applying for a part-time job you would like. Explain why you would like the job and why you are the right person for it.
25. Describe a place that is special to you.
28. Write an article for a magazine of your choice in which you inform readers
about a subject which gives you cause for concern.
29. If you could choose, where would you most like to live? Explain the reasons
for your choice.
30. Write a letter to your headteacher explaining how to improve your school.
31. Write a brief article for a website of your choice telling your readers about an interesting or unusual journey or travel experience you have had. Explain why it was memorable.
32. A place can appear to be very different if you visit it at different times of year.
Choose a place that you know well and describe it at two different times of year for a travel website.
33. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. Describe a decision that you, or
someone you know, had to make and explain the consequences. Your piece will appear in the Real Lives section of your local newspaper.

24 mark q.
1. Argue for or against the idea that advertisements for sweets should be banned from TV.
2. Write a letter to a TV company persuading them that they should produce more interesting programmes for teenagers.
3. Write an article for a magazine in which you present an argument for or against something you feel strongly about.
4. Write a letter persuading a publisher to produce a new and different magazine for teenagers.
5. A student you know is about to be excluded from school. Write a letter to the school governors arguing for or against this exclusion.
6. ‘Students should not be allowed to bring mobile phones to school’. Write an article for a school newspaper in which you argue for or against this view.
7. Write an article for a teenage magazine in which you persuade the readers not to smoke.
8. Write a letter to a magazine called The Explorer arguing for or against expeditions to dangerous places.
9. A group of students from your school or college wants to go on an adventure trip abroad. Write the text of a speech to local business people persuading them to sponsor the group.
10. Write an article for a magazine for teenagers, arguing that global warming will affect their lives and persuading them to join a group which aims to protect the environment.
11. “People should spend less money on bottled water and fizzy drinks and give more to charity.” Argue for or against this view.
12. Write a letter to a celebrity of your choice persuading him or her to support a campaign to end world poverty.
13. Write an article for a teenage magazine arguing that schools should change to give Year 11 students more freedom.
14. Write an article for a magazine aimed at teenagers in which you argue that students should be taught to drive at school.
15. Write the text for a car advertisement aimed at young men, which persuades them to buy the car.
16. Write the text for a local radio programme on physical fitness to persuade people to get fitter.
17. ‘Young people nowadays don’t know what real music is!’ Write an article for a national newspaper where you argue for or against this point of view.
18. You want to take two weeks off school to take part in a televised talent contest. Write a letter persuading your headteacher to allow you to do this.
19. Write a letter to the organisers of the National Lottery in which you argue that more should be done to help young people with special talents and persuade the organisers that money should be given for this.
20. Write a letter to a headteacher persuading him/her that all students should take part
in at least one hour’s physical activity every day at school.
21. Write the text for a leaflet to persuade young people in your area to take part in a sponsored event for charity.
22. Your school or college is inviting entries for a writing competition. The topic is “Dangerous sports activities and pastimes are selfish, often put others at risk and should be discouraged.” Write your entry arguing for or against this view.
23. Choose an activity or hobby that you are interested in. Write an article for your school magazine persuading other students to try it.
24. Many people believe that it is our duty to cut back on our use of the world’s resources, and that we must invest in greener forms of energy for the future whatever the cost. Write an article for an environmental website which argues for or against this idea.

Fingers crossed this works, as I am currently on my phone!
Reply 8
Original post by Sapien
1. Inform the examiner about what you are really like.
2. Explain what you intend to achieve in the next year and explain how you intend to achieve these things.
3. Describe the view from your bedroom window.
4. Your local council is planning to develop a Youth Centre in your area. Write a letter to the leader of the council. Explain why a Youth Centre is a good idea and give information about the facilities and events you would like to have.
5. Many people are interested in animals. Write an informative article on an animal or animals of your choice.
6. Teenagers are often criticised in newspapers. Write a letter to the editor of a national newspaper explaining why this is often unfair.
7. Describe your home.
8. Childhood memories can be very important. Choose one childhood memory. Describe the memory and explain its importance to you.
9. Choose something you are interested in and know about. Write about it in a way which will inform other people.
10. Think about a decision you, or someone close to you, has made that has changed your life or the lives of other people. Explain what the decision was and the changes it brought about.
11. Write informatively about a journey you have made and describe the things you saw on the way.
12. School students sometimes say they get bored in the long summer holidays. Write an article for a local newspaper informing students of the different things they could do to prevent boredom.
13. Explain what qualities you think a best friend should have and explain, giving examples, why you think this.
14. Describe yourself.
15. Change can be good, bad or a mixture of both. Write about a time in your life when you experienced change of some kind. Describe what happened and explain how you felt about the change.
16. Write a letter to a friend who moved away from your area three months ago. Inform him or her of the things that have been happening to you over the last three months.
17. Explain what you think is needed to build a good relationship between parents and teenage children and explain why you think this.
18. Describe the person or people you would most like to go on holiday with you and explain why you would like to share a holiday with them.
19. Write a letter to the governors of your school informing them of the changes you would like to be made in your school and the reasons for these changes.
20. Explain what your dreams and ambitions for the future are. Explain, also, how you could achieve them.
21. Describe a nightmare world.
22. Many young people have concerns about the world in which they live. Write informatively about one or more of your concerns and explain the reasons for them.
23. Write an information leaflet on an area you know well. You could include information on places to visit and things to do there.
24. Write a letter applying for a part-time job you would like. Explain why you would like the job and why you are the right person for it.
25. Describe a place that is special to you.
28. Write an article for a magazine of your choice in which you inform readers
about a subject which gives you cause for concern.
29. If you could choose, where would you most like to live? Explain the reasons
for your choice.
30. Write a letter to your headteacher explaining how to improve your school.
31. Write a brief article for a website of your choice telling your readers about an interesting or unusual journey or travel experience you have had. Explain why it was memorable.
32. A place can appear to be very different if you visit it at different times of year.
Choose a place that you know well and describe it at two different times of year for a travel website.
33. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. Describe a decision that you, or
someone you know, had to make and explain the consequences. Your piece will appear in the Real Lives section of your local newspaper.

24 mark q.
1. Argue for or against the idea that advertisements for sweets should be banned from TV.
2. Write a letter to a TV company persuading them that they should produce more interesting programmes for teenagers.
3. Write an article for a magazine in which you present an argument for or against something you feel strongly about.
4. Write a letter persuading a publisher to produce a new and different magazine for teenagers.
5. A student you know is about to be excluded from school. Write a letter to the school governors arguing for or against this exclusion.
6. ‘Students should not be allowed to bring mobile phones to school’. Write an article for a school newspaper in which you argue for or against this view.
7. Write an article for a teenage magazine in which you persuade the readers not to smoke.
8. Write a letter to a magazine called The Explorer arguing for or against expeditions to dangerous places.
9. A group of students from your school or college wants to go on an adventure trip abroad. Write the text of a speech to local business people persuading them to sponsor the group.
10. Write an article for a magazine for teenagers, arguing that global warming will affect their lives and persuading them to join a group which aims to protect the environment.
11. “People should spend less money on bottled water and fizzy drinks and give more to charity.” Argue for or against this view.
12. Write a letter to a celebrity of your choice persuading him or her to support a campaign to end world poverty.
13. Write an article for a teenage magazine arguing that schools should change to give Year 11 students more freedom.
14. Write an article for a magazine aimed at teenagers in which you argue that students should be taught to drive at school.
15. Write the text for a car advertisement aimed at young men, which persuades them to buy the car.
16. Write the text for a local radio programme on physical fitness to persuade people to get fitter.
17. ‘Young people nowadays don’t know what real music is!’ Write an article for a national newspaper where you argue for or against this point of view.
18. You want to take two weeks off school to take part in a televised talent contest. Write a letter persuading your headteacher to allow you to do this.
19. Write a letter to the organisers of the National Lottery in which you argue that more should be done to help young people with special talents and persuade the organisers that money should be given for this.
20. Write a letter to a headteacher persuading him/her that all students should take part
in at least one hour’s physical activity every day at school.
21. Write the text for a leaflet to persuade young people in your area to take part in a sponsored event for charity.
22. Your school or college is inviting entries for a writing competition. The topic is “Dangerous sports activities and pastimes are selfish, often put others at risk and should be discouraged.” Write your entry arguing for or against this view.
23. Choose an activity or hobby that you are interested in. Write an article for your school magazine persuading other students to try it.
24. Many people believe that it is our duty to cut back on our use of the world’s resources, and that we must invest in greener forms of energy for the future whatever the cost. Write an article for an environmental website which argues for or against this idea.

Fingers crossed this works, as I am currently on my phone!

Omg :eek:

Thank you so much :h:

Have some pos rep :biggrin: :biggrin:

Goodluck again
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm doing this exam - not making you worry or anything but it's too late to practise- sorry!
Reply 10
Original post by SpartASH
I'm doing this exam - not making you worry or anything but it's too late to practise- sorry!

It's not to late to study. English exam you need to know the structure of the exam and how to answer each question with proper structured answers and your basically ready.
Reply 11
Don't panic to much, stay cool and be confident, if you know everything then you jus go in there and ace it :biggrin:!
Also another key issue which everyone has a problem with is tracking their time accordingly, it's usually about 1 hour on Section A and 1 hour and 15 mins on Section B.
Reply 12
Original post by EliYO7
Don't panic to much, stay cool and be confident, if you know everything then you jus go in there and ace it :biggrin:!
Also another key issue which everyone has a problem with is tracking their time accordingly, it's usually about 1 hour on Section A and 1 hour and 15 mins on Section B.

I'm giving myself 1.5 mins per mark. So for an 8 mk question, I'll spend 12 mins on it, so I have enough time to proofread :biggrin:

Thankyou :smile:
that exam went well - the writing paper was quite hard though... was the fifth question inform or explain and was the sixth persuade or argue???
Reply 14
Original post by SpartASH
that exam went well - the writing paper was quite hard though... was the fifth question inform or explain and was the sixth persuade or argue???

5th was inform.
6th was persuade.
Reply 15
Seems like I may be the only one but I found the text a bit hard to identify language features and how there used to inform or persuade ? But I feel I definately made up for my mistake in that question in the writing which I found quite easy particularly writing to Inform.
did you lot agree with the final quote or disagree?
Reply 17
Original post by Hammad1412
did you lot agree with the final quote or disagree?

disagree
Can someone help me with the answer FOR this question please.
Hey guys,
I'm sitting the english language exam in June 2012 and have been trying to revise. I know I can get into the form of things once I know how to answer the questions. Can anyone give me tips on how to answe question 1, which is usually a 'what do you learn' question.
Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending