English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
ICT
History
Art
Spanish
I don't know my results yet though but I am predicted A's in all and an A* in Maths, History and ICT (:

I was wondering if there are any A Levels that are kind of disregarded for Uni? I'm thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths, Photography and Psychology with Physics as a back up for my 1st year (: And then we have to drop one for our second.
I don't know what I want to do yet though to be honest - maybe Architecture? But to be honest I have no clue expect that teaching is my plan B
Thanks
*I meant Psychology not Physiology
(edited 11 years ago)
maybe swap the physiology for art? but other than that sounds good
Reply 2
right ---

none of those options are disregarded as such but the less traditional ones (photog. and physio.) are less respected.
however it is nice to have a contrasting arts subject sometimes..whether photography is the best choice I'm not sure..
Reply 3
Original post by Flowertopsfi
Hi
For my GCSE's I took:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
ICT
History
Art
Spanish
I don't know my results yet though but I am predicted A's in all and an A* in Maths, History and ICT (:

I was wondering if there are any A Levels that are kind of disregarded for Uni? I'm thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths, Photography and Physiology with Physics as a back up for my 1st year (: And then we have to drop one for our second.
I don't know what I want to do yet though to be honest - maybe Architecture? But to be honest I have no clue expect that teaching is my plan B
Thanks

Original post by the.cookie.monster
maybe swap the physiology for art? but other than that sounds good

Yeah that ^^ For Architecture in my school they recommend taking Art if you want to do that at Uni. Avoid Physiology - it's not that great an A Level esp. if you have the likes of Maths and Physics...
Reply 4
Maths and Further Maths are considered the most useful subject and one of the hardest, so definitely keep that.
Photography isn't regarded, but, if you're good, it shows that you're more than the academic type which some unis want; a well rounded person. It depends, if I was you that would be the one I drop.
Physiology doesn't really work with them, unless you were to take Biology with your Maths?
If I was I would change one of those being with a P and change it to an Art or Humanity such as History (especially as you're predicted an A*) English which is always good to have because it shows that you're mind is analytic and you can write essays well.
It just depends what you're doing in life and where you want to go aha.

Next year I'll start: French, Geography, English and Maths (which will lead to Further Maths) I'm predicted all As and A*s as well with the aspiration to go to a Russell Group, so we are similar. :smile:
So if you're good at Spanish, perhaps take that. Languages are always sought after by top unis as well because few people possess the natural abilities to do well at A Level in them, but, I hear there is going to be a big gap, so perhaps not..

I hope I helped, and good luck with your results. :smile:
Reply 5
I wouldn't worry too much for the time being for architecture as you can usually get in with what might seem like an odd combination. But I wouldn't recommend doing two 'soft' subjects like photography and psycology as it will narrow the number of universities you can apply for, they usually only allow one. I would advise art over photography it would be MUCH more helpful when making a portfolio. But don't think about this too much yet you will be likely to change your mind after results anyway. I changed mine after results and it was the best decision.

The best advice I was given in year 11 by an architect was to choose subjects I enjoyed, I did and it led me to architecture anyway, so choose what you enjoy and that will get you going in the right direction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Claire888
I wouldn't worry too much for the time being for architecture as you can usually get in with what might seem like an odd combination. But I wouldn't recommend doing two 'soft' subjects like photography and psycology as it will narrow the number of universities you can apply for, they usually only allow one. I would advise art over photography it would be MUCH more helpful when making a portfolio. But don't think about this too much yet you will be likely to change your mind after results anyway. I changed mine after results and it was the best decision.

The best advice I was given in year 11 by an architect was to choose subjects I enjoyed, I did and it led me to architecture anyway, so choose what you enjoy and that will get you going in the right direction.

Thanks - out of interest, what A levels did you choose?
Reply 7
Original post by Flowertopsfi
Thanks - out of interest, what A levels did you choose?

That's ok. I did Biology, Geography, Fine Art and General Studies to A2 and Chemistry AS.
Reply 8
Please please please take History. You will love it, just like I do :biggrin:
Reply 9
I've sent in my provisional application to do History, Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Photography (:
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest