The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spontogical
:rofl2: and I just downed another 4 whole avocados in like 5 minutes :coma:

btw are you settling well in your new place?

They're good for you though. But 4?! :lolwut:

I just ate peanut butter on toast.
I need to go shopping because I don't actually have any healthy food left. Except 2 avocados.

Yes I am :smile: I still can't quite believe I'm here. Today is my first day off that I haven't gone out visiting people and I'm quite bored. That's the only bad thing. It can sometimes get a bit lonely. I have made friends but obviously I can't spend every hour of the day with them. But yes it's all going well! Can't believe I'm not a student anymore.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
We can make those cant we? After our degree:colone:

Of course. I already know how to turn cocaine into crack cocaine. :colone: And I've made Aspirin, because that is hardcore stuff right there! :wink:
Reply 2422
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Of course. I already know how to turn cocaine into crack cocaine. :colone: And I've made Aspirin, because that is hardcore stuff right there! :wink:

lol you can prob make TNT as well
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
Well I'm on my.phone but my laptop is due back very soon.

I know. I'm awful at starting and maintaining conversations. Usually I bore people with something scientific.

How have you been?

I'm very well :-) started my new job last Monday, how are you?
Original post by Tcrumpen
lol you can prob make TNT as well

It's actually not that hard :tongue:
Original post by Jack22031994
:smile:

Burning question: how do you land a radio show presenter job at uni?

:lol:

Blood thinners :smug:
Reply 2427
Original post by alex193
It's actually not that hard :tongue:

yeah well i only have a GCSE in Chemistry, i do have an AS level in physics though :P
I didn't expect people to react quite like this... :colondollar: I might stay now. At least until the end of the thread.

I feel so loved!

And Jack, even if I do leave, I will still check this place regularly for the Council of Ladies. :h:

Aw thought i was.going to get the supreme leader.role. I called you my.evil boss on an earlier post haha.

You should stay till the end of the thread. :smile:
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
Exactly :wink: Ohh which ad? I don't think I've seen it.

No way, I have a postcard on my wall with that exact saying on it. :lol:

The one where the brothers have separate factories for left twix and right twix :-P

I saw it on a fridge magnet a couple of years ago :-P that was the first opportunity I've had to use it...
:lol:

Blood thinners :smug:

Who doesn't want some of those? :mmm:

Aw thought i was.going to get the supreme leader role. I called you my evil boss on an earlier post haha.

Lulz, you'd never get that post. You're not good enough. :tongue: I did not see this post. I will get you back for that! :colone:

I'm staying now, don't worry. :h:
Reply 2431
Aw thought i was.going to get the supreme leader.role. I called you my.evil boss on an earlier post haha.

you're my supreme leader also :P (Holbz that is)

We did paracetamol as a Pre-U practical, it was good fun :smile: Sent it off for HPLC and had a contest as to who got the highest purity :biggrin:

Original post by Tcrumpen
yeah well i only have a GCSE in Chemistry, i do have an AS level in physics though :P

Haha, that and a healthy bit of bravado is all you need to be a meth cook or bomb-maker :wink:
Who doesn't want some of those? :mmm:

Lulz, you'd never get that post. You're not good enough. :tongue: I did not see this post. I will get you back for that! :colone:

I'm staying now, don't worry. :h:

Hmmm... Are there any pharmaceutical ish modules?
Original post by alex193
We did paracetamol as a Pre-U practical, it was good fun :smile: Sent it off for HPLC and had a contest as to who got the highest purity :biggrin:

I've made that too. :ahee: Did you win? :tongue:

Erm crack cocaine and cocaine are the same thing :-P haha making aspirin was an assessed practical for edexcel A2 :-P
Original post by natninja
Erm crack cocaine and cocaine are the same thing :-P haha making aspirin was an assessed practical for edexcel A2 :-P

I can't remember why they're different, but they are. :tongue: I think it's something to do with an amino group...
Reply 2437
Original post by alex193

Haha, that and a healthy bit of bravado is all you need to be a meth cook or bomb-maker :wink:

yeah but were am i gonna get uranium this time of day .... common craigslist
Hmmm... Are there any pharmaceutical ish modules?

This is what I've copied and pasted. :smile: This is one of my modules for next year - Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry.

The module concentrates on disease and the impact of chemistry on the understanding of disease at the molecular level, and in terms of providing chemotherapeutic agents for the prevention, control and cure of disease. All aspects of chemistry, including organic, inorganic, physical, biological and structural will be included. We will begin with a historical overview of the development and major achievements of chemotherapy and go on to consider the molecular basis of disease and disease pathways. The course will conclude by focusing specifically on cancer, looking at current and potential drugs. In addition three topic workshops will be held.

Learning Objectives:
to understand the importance of chemical approaches to target disease
to understand selected disease pathways
to study the biological action of cancer therapeutics
to understand the role of targeted drug delivery in developing new
chemotherapeutics

Topics
An Introduction to Chemotherapy, Drug Metabolism and Delivery
Initially this set of lectures will give an overview of the historical development of medicinal chemistry and chemotherapy. Focus will then be on the way in which a pharmaceutical interacts with the human body - the problems this can cause, and the opportunities it can provide for more efficient therapy via targeted drug delivery.
8 lectures

Introduction to the Molecular Basis of Diseases
This set of lectures will focus on an explanation of the key molecular aspects of human physiology. The course will cover general classification of the diseases (infections, genetic, complex, protein aggregation/misfolding) and will give a short survey of the main types of genetic diseases. The course will also cover the fundamentals of immune, innate and adaptive responses to disease.

Cancer Chemotherapy
An exploration of current (and potential) cancer therapeutics. This will include drugs that act on DNA (DNA alkylating agents, crosslinkers, intercalating agents, and antisense therapy), drugs that act on structural proteins (taxol, epothiolones), on receptors (tamoxifen) and on enzymes (fluorouracil, methotrexate). We will also look at biological prodrugs in specific relation to cancer chemotherapy (ADEPT/GDEPT-antibody and gene directed prodrug therapy).

Assessment
h written paper (70%) plus continuous assessment (30%): three workshops will contribute 7% each and a written article, 9%. The three workshops will be associated with each of the three topics. Three workshops will be assessed by a multichoice quiz based on both the lecture course and material covered in the workshop and assessment of preassigned questions. In addition, a 1 page article suitable for an A-level student (9%) will be prepared on one topic chosen from a selection related to the course.
Reply 2439
This is what I've copied and pasted. :smile: This is one of my modules for next year - Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry.

The module concentrates on disease and the impact of chemistry on the understanding of disease at the molecular level, and in terms of providing chemotherapeutic agents for the prevention, control and cure of disease. All aspects of chemistry, including organic, inorganic, physical, biological and structural will be included. We will begin with a historical overview of the development and major achievements of chemotherapy and go on to consider the molecular basis of disease and disease pathways. The course will conclude by focusing specifically on cancer, looking at current and potential drugs. In addition three topic workshops will be held.

Learning Objectives:
to understand the importance of chemical approaches to target disease
to understand selected disease pathways
to study the biological action of cancer therapeutics
to understand the role of targeted drug delivery in developing new
chemotherapeutics

Topics
An Introduction to Chemotherapy, Drug Metabolism and Delivery
Initially this set of lectures will give an overview of the historical development of medicinal chemistry and chemotherapy. Focus will then be on the way in which a pharmaceutical interacts with the human body - the problems this can cause, and the opportunities it can provide for more efficient therapy via targeted drug delivery.
8 lectures

Introduction to the Molecular Basis of Diseases
This set of lectures will focus on an explanation of the key molecular aspects of human physiology. The course will cover general classification of the diseases (infections, genetic, complex, protein aggregation/misfolding) and will give a short survey of the main types of genetic diseases. The course will also cover the fundamentals of immune, innate and adaptive responses to disease.

Cancer Chemotherapy
An exploration of current (and potential) cancer therapeutics. This will include drugs that act on DNA (DNA alkylating agents, crosslinkers, intercalating agents, and antisense therapy), drugs that act on structural proteins (taxol, epothiolones), on receptors (tamoxifen) and on enzymes (fluorouracil, methotrexate). We will also look at biological prodrugs in specific relation to cancer chemotherapy (ADEPT/GDEPT-antibody and gene directed prodrug therapy).

Assessment
h written paper (70%) plus continuous assessment (30%): three workshops will contribute 7% each and a written article, 9%. The three workshops will be associated with each of the three topics. Three workshops will be assessed by a multichoice quiz based on both the lecture course and material covered in the workshop and assessment of preassigned questions. In addition, a 1 page article suitable for an A-level student (9%) will be prepared on one topic chosen from a selection related to the course.

Some of that sounds interesting to me, but biology was my weakest science (which im sure this would dabble in) also i'm rather squeamish

Latest