The Student Room Group

Gap Year - America and the Caribbean

Hi there. I have one more year to go at school, but I am considering deferring my entry to uni if that is possible, as I think I would settle better if i have a year out from education.

I know it would be much easier to just get a working holiday visa for Oz/New Zealand, but I think I would rather do the States etc. I know I can work Camp America for the summer season, or something similar. After this, does anyone know if it is possible to work casually around America?

Also, when I have done this for 8/9 months, whatever I want, I would love to go to th Caribbean for the remainder of my time, as I absolutely adore it there. This could be mistook as an extended beach holiday, I am fully aware, but I would actually want to work to sustain my time living there. However, I am finding it difficult to establish if it is actually possible to work casually in the Caribbean (especally want to stay on Barbados, but I'm open to other countries if that would be easier/possible). I have found alot of info which says only professional people can get sponsered to work there, but none of it is from an authorised Bajan website if that makes sense, so just wanted to know if anyone can shed any light on if this would be possible, as I have money for flights etc, but not to live for the entire year without working.

Thanks, sorry for the essay.
Reply 1
I know it would be much easier to just get a working holiday visa for Oz/New Zealand, but I think I would rather do the States etc. I know I can work Camp America for the summer season, or something similar. After this, does anyone know if it is possible to work casually around America?

As far as I know working casually around America is not a viable option. It would break the terms of your visa, and if you get caught you'll be deported and probably be banned from entering the United States again. I think BUNAC does a Work America/Canada scheme, in which you work at like a ski resort or something similar.

As for the Carribean, can't really help you out there.

Latest