The Student Room Group

Gap year/resit advice

Hi, last week I received my A-Level results and I’m really disappointed. I got AAA in Biology, Chemistry and maths. 6 marks off in Biology for an A*. I had quite a lot (not good) going on at home with my parents, which is my no means an excuse but I can’t help to think how things could have been if I didn’t. This caused me to miss my Edinburgh Chemistry offer (A*AA). I did however get accepted into UCL as my insurance but I’m still upset.
Towards the end of year 13, I realised that I don’t want to do Chemistry and that I should have followed my heart and not my head by doing Geography/International relations at Uni. My decision to apply for Chem was mostly due to my parents/other people’s opinions.
I’m not opposed to be taking a gap year as it would be a great chance to go to south america and improve my Spanish for a few months, whilst I make a new UCAS application.
This is where I need help, I really want to go to a top University for my course, I’m thinking LSE or Edinburgh or UCL again, (I’m over Oxbridge ahhaha) Their offers are AAA-A*AA. I know I’ve don well enough but I can’t help but feel like I can do better, considering my mocks were A*A*A and were past papers. Could I do a resit to get maybe one or two A*, and would Universities look at that unfavourably? I know LSE is very competitive, likewise with Edinburgh.
I like keeping myself academically stimulated so I suppose it would give me purpose, are there any other things that I could do to stay engaged with learning?

I have a lot of options and I’m really stressed so any help would really appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by podjp
Hi, last week I received my A-Level results and I’m really disappointed. I got AAA in Biology, Chemistry and maths. 6 marks off in Biology for an A*. I had quite a lot (not good) going on at home with my parents, which is my no means an excuse but I can’t help to think how things could have been if I didn’t. This caused me to miss my Edinburgh Chemistry offer (A*AA). I did however get accepted into UCL as my insurance but I’m still upset.
Towards the end of year 13, I realised that I don’t want to do Chemistry and that I should have followed my heart and not my head by doing Geography/International relations at Uni. My decision to apply for Chem was mostly due to my parents/other people’s opinions.
I’m not opposed to be taking a gap year as it would be a great chance to go to south america and improve my Spanish for a few months, whilst I make a new UCAS application.
This is where I need help, I really want to go to a top University for my course, I’m thinking LSE or Edinburgh or UCL again, (I’m over Oxbridge ahhaha) Their offers are AAA-A*AA. I know I’ve don well enough but I can’t help but feel like I can do better, considering my mocks were A*A*A and were past papers. Could I do a resit to get maybe one or two A*, and would Universities look at that unfavourably? I know LSE is very competitive, likewise with Edinburgh.
I like keeping myself academically stimulated so I suppose it would give me purpose, are there any other things that I could do to stay engaged with learning?

I have a lot of options and I’m really stressed so any help would really appreciated.
Thanks!

Why is the hunt for prestige so important? It isn't the university that makes you great. It is you. I think a gap year would so you the world of good. But be kind to yourself. You did really really well.
Reply 2
Original post by podjp

Thanks!

hi, ur post made me go a little bit insane hahah. ur a level grades are amazing considering the grade boundaries this year!! you could go to UCL and request a course change, since most unis do let people do that? if not taking a gap year and reapplying could be great but if u want a prestigious uni UCL LSE and edinburgh are kinda at the same level so i dont think it really matters which one you go to. you did SO well, congrats!!

Quick Reply

Latest