The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Short-term accomodation (2 weeks in August)

Hi,

I'm going on a 2 week Spanish Subject Knowledge Enhancement course at Keele in August, prior to starting my PGCE at Leicester in September.

I live in Derby, so it's over an hour's drive and a particularly busy route which will be hell in rush hour. So my parents have said they don't want me to commute, and will pay for accomodation.

The course administrator has emailed me information about accomodation at Keele Management Centre, but it's £40 per night (breakfast included). Even if I drive up on Monday morning and go home for the weekend in between (which I would have done anyway), that's £320 for the fortnight. My parents will pay this, but the accomodation has no kitchen facilities so I won't be able to have a proper meal all week either...

I contacted regular university accomodation, but they said they can only accomodate proper Keele students, not people on short courses.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could stay? I'm really stuck for what to do...
Reply 1
Original post by Keziah
Hi,

I'm going on a 2 week Spanish Subject Knowledge Enhancement course at Keele in August, prior to starting my PGCE at Leicester in September.

I live in Derby, so it's over an hour's drive and a particularly busy route which will be hell in rush hour. So my parents have said they don't want me to commute, and will pay for accomodation.

The course administrator has emailed me information about accomodation at Keele Management Centre, but it's £40 per night (breakfast included). Even if I drive up on Monday morning and go home for the weekend in between (which I would have done anyway), that's £320 for the fortnight. My parents will pay this, but the accomodation has no kitchen facilities so I won't be able to have a proper meal all week either...

I contacted regular university accomodation, but they said they can only accomodate proper Keele students, not people on short courses.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could stay? I'm really stuck for what to do...

You might want to give keelestudentpad.co.uk a try. I believe the landlords advertised there are accredited by the uni. Btw most students I know here don't make a proper meal lol. More like takeaways!

Good luck with finding a hse!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by Catchetat
You might want to give keelestudentpad.co.uk a try. I believe the landlords advertised there are accredited by the uni. Btw most students I know here don't make a proper meal lol. More like takeaways!

Good luck with finding a hse!

Thanks for the link. :smile: I've now contacted a friend who used to go to Keele to see if he has any friends still there who can put me up for a fortnight.

After 5 years as a student, I still don't understand how other students afford takeaways - they're so expensive! I think I had takeaway pizza once or twice during my whole degree, and chips a few times... My housemates and I used to have a rota for cooking cheap dinners to share (curries, bolognese, roast dinners, stews, etc.).
Reply 3
Original post by Keziah
Hi,

Some bed and breakfast places (I think there's about 2 or 3 in walking distance to Keele, and some more in Hanley/Stoke) will give you discounts for elongated stay.

For example, rather than 40 per night, you pay 30 ish on the basis that you are staying for the 2 weeks. It's just good business for everyone. The room doesn't go empty and you have a place to stay.

It's just a case of ringing them up.
Reply 4
Original post by Keziah
Thanks for the link. :smile: I've now contacted a friend who used to go to Keele to see if he has any friends still there who can put me up for a fortnight.

After 5 years as a student, I still don't understand how other students afford takeaways - they're so expensive! I think I had takeaway pizza once or twice during my whole degree, and chips a few times... My housemates and I used to have a rota for cooking cheap dinners to share (curries, bolognese, roast dinners, stews, etc.).

agreed! I spend about 15-20 pds each week on groceries. compared to takeaways it would be a multiple of that!

wow I am impressed with you and your housemates cooking abilities haha. I think I also had a bit of positive influence on my hsemates in getting them to cook a bit more!

Quick Reply

Latest