The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 61
People in Southampton read this and NMM
If they did then they really should of given me a place - i mean for 2 years ive been trawling through these forums trying to help other applicants and writing essays of why i want to do medicine so much and my sob story of being rejected twice .. they could have at least had pity on me and seen how much i want it. lol. Just a theory!
But this thread is interesting.. give it a few years maybe and i think they will definatley have to resort to such measures!
lil_dreamer90
If they did then they really should of given me a place - i mean for 2 years ive been trawling through these forums trying to help other applicants and writing essays of why i want to do medicine so much and my sob story of being rejected twice .. they could have at least had pity on me and seen how much i want it. lol. Just a theory!
But this thread is interesting.. give it a few years maybe and i think they will definatley have to resort to such measures!

Did you get any feedback about why you didn't get a place? It obv wasn't because of your grades...
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Did you get any feedback about why you didn't get a place? It obv wasn't because of your grades...

All i got was the generic feeback of too much competition, etc etc.. wouldnt give anything specific no matter how much i pestered them!

i think it was my reference though, my referee isnt the most supportive person for medic applicants and he wouldnt include anything personal about me.. who knows though at the end of the day? i think its just pick-a-name-out of the hat nowadays.
lil_dreamer90
All i got was the generic feeback of too much competition, etc etc.. wouldnt give anything specific no matter how much i pestered them!

i think it was my reference though, my referee isnt the most supportive person for medic applicants and he wouldnt include anything personal about me.. who knows though at the end of the day? i think its just pick-a-name-out of the hat nowadays.

Yeah i was reading about that in the times uni guide yesterday, obviously the unis don't admit to it but just say we take more things into account now as everyone seems to be as good as each other.

Why was your referee not supportive of medics? Could you not have got a different referee?
lil_dreamer90
i think its just pick-a-name-out of the hat nowadays.

Would your attitude be the same if you held an offer, do you think?
Reply 67
YES.

the application system is often the equivalent of that, but that shouldnt belittle the work you put in to get in.
Phalanges
Would your attitude be the same if you held an offer, do you think?

First off it's not an attitude, it's a theory and second off I agree with gizmo- it is perfectly tangible that some places will randomly pick qualifying students for an offer and if I had got an offer then yes my belief that this is true would still stand.
And as said it shouldn't make those who did get an offer feel any less of their application because to be fair, (most) people who apply are equally and perfectly capable and deserving to study medicine.
Reply 69
lil_dreamer90

don't worry, i'm thoroughly expecting my second rejection this year :frown:
Erebus
don't worry, i'm thoroughly expecting my second rejection this year :frown:

No keep positive! Just do your best and it's all you can do :smile:
Reply 71
lil_dreamer90
No keep positive! Just do your best and it's all you can do :smile:

i know exactly, i think a large part of it is down to preperation

Latest

Trending

Trending