The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Oh cool.
I'm a first year biomedical science student studying at QMUL.
My main interests lie in genetics, neuroscience and ethics.
It'd be nice to join. :biggrin:

ewwwwww genetics :p:

ethics is nice, i do a ethics module this year, nice to have something thats at a different level and way off thinking that normal course stuff
Original post by robinson999
ewwwwww genetics :p:

ethics is nice, i do a ethics module this year, nice to have something thats at a different level and way off thinking that normal course stuff

How could you say ew to genetics- the study of the simplest code that results in the most complex beings- the recipe of life!
How could you say ew to genetics- the study of the simplest code that results in the most complex beings- the recipe of life!

i like that part, but than the 1st year lecturer turned me off it

immunology and its roll in cancer, even my final year project making me more to a more physical chem side
Reply 23
Oh cool.
I'm a first year biomedical science student studying at QMUL.
My main interests lie in genetics, neuroscience and ethics.
It'd be nice to join. :biggrin:

(edited 13 years ago)
Hi :smile: Would love to join...

I've recieved 2/5 of my offers so far...I'm so scared about my other choices!

I'm interested in Neuroscience and Microbiology/Virology

And come on guys, Genetics is actually quite fun, haha well at A-Level anyway :smile:
oooo can i join?
I don't actually do biomed, but i study physiology...
Original post by Susanoo

:rofl: It's hard to tell if I'm being serious on TSR.

Original post by robinson999
i like that part, but than the 1st year lecturer turned me off it

immunology and its roll in cancer, even my final year project making me more to a more physical chem side

When I'm taught something and forced to learn a list of facts to spew up on some exam in May, I tend to get put off by the subject a lot.
The quality of the lecturer really does make an impact... Fortunately, my genetics lectures were always really good. :biggrin:

When I'm taught something and forced to learn a list of facts to spew up on some exam in May, I tend to get put off by the subject a lot.
The quality of the lecturer really does make an impact... Fortunately, my genetics lectures were always really good. :biggrin:

the lecturer makes a world off difference, my immunology one is great

yeah i need to do that in exams :p:
Reply 28
Original post by Eloades11
Yep lets hope so, my UCAS stuff is in my sig, just need to decide on whether to make kings or warwick my firm :/

I cant find your siggy?? Looked in your profile but zilch. I'm fairly new to this so how do I find your UCAS stuff?

I dont think Kings nor Warwick are accredited but both are v.good. I've only applied to accredited courses to keep my options open at the end of it.

Mind you, I've not had any offers yet but only applied just before the festive period. I've heard SGUL are not making any offers till after the 15th deadline anyway . . . . just have to wait!
Original post by Wailinza
I cant find your siggy?? Looked in your profile but zilch. I'm fairly new to this so how do I find your UCAS stuff?

I dont think Kings nor Warwick are accredited but both are v.good. I've only applied to accredited courses to keep my options open at the end of it.

Mind you, I've not had any offers yet but only applied just before the festive period. I've heard SGUL are not making any offers till after the 15th deadline anyway . . . . just have to wait!

Look at his first post on one of the pages on the thread, it's directly underneath that :smile:

And wouldn't doing an accredited course limit your options rather than keep them open?
Reply 30
Original post by Waterstorm
Look at his first post on one of the pages on the thread, it's directly underneath that :smile:

And wouldn't doing an accredited course limit your options rather than keep them open?

I thought if a course was accredited it was easier to get a job/go into research. :dontknow:
Original post by Wailinza

Oh right, I have offers from Kings(AAB) Warwick(ABB) Surrey(ABB) and Portsmouth(BBC) and a rejection from oxford.

I wouldnt worry about not having any replies just yet, I sent my UCAS off in he first week of october which is very early, best of luck with your application
Original post by Susanoo
I thought if a course was accredited it was easier to get a job/go into research. :dontknow:

I thought it was just giving you more career options, the option to go into the NHS and that you could go into research as well if you wanted if you had an IBMS accredited degree? I have just finished a top-up course to get IBMS accredited but I'm kind of lost now as there aren't as many trainee jobs around and I have the "old" degree basically with no placement or HPC registration... hmm, dunno where I'll end up now!
Reply 33
Original post by Sprockette
I thought it was just giving you more career options, the option to go into the NHS and that you could go into research as well if you wanted if you had an IBMS accredited degree? I have just finished a top-up course to get IBMS accredited but I'm kind of lost now as there aren't as many trainee jobs around and I have the "old" degree basically with no placement or HPC registration... hmm, dunno where I'll end up now!

Sorry I didn't understand half of that. I'm only a 1st year. :redface:
If you are accredited can't you get a job for the NHS now??
Original post by Susanoo
Sorry I didn't understand half of that. I'm only a 1st year. :redface:
If you are accredited can't you get a job for the NHS now??

I'm accredited with the IBMS but not HPC. I did a different degree first, then decided I wanted to do Biomedical science, so I did a top-up (you get IBMS accredited after studying a few more modules after your degree). But with no experience in the placement years, I don't have much hope getting into a trainee job. I only found out half way through the year that there was a new (coterminus?) course coming in (I'm still learning as I go, I don't know much yet) that will leave you HPC accredited straight out of uni... I don't have that :frown: That means less trainee jobs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Susanoo

Doesn't it make it quite restricted in you just working in a lab in the NHS? Because you're just training to become a biomedical scientist.
Doesn't it make it quite restricted in you just working in a lab in the NHS? Because you're just training to become a biomedical scientist.

I see it as you are training to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS but you can work in research/industry/pharmaceutical if you get the training and start at the bottom if you want. It's just giving you the extra option if you want. I think anyway, as I said, I'm no expert, I'm basically learning as I go so I might be proven wrong on that in the next few months! I'm applying for both now although I'd prefer the security of the NHS (again, the word security might be laughable now but..!) It looks like I'll have to start at the bottom anyway, no matter what area I go into.

I take it you're doing the non-accredited course? What year are you in? Are you getting much experience? What are you hoping to do?
Reply 37

I don't think so. If your course is accredited then it gives you that extra option of working for the NHS. I think you can still work for pharmaceutical companies or go into research.
I see it as you are training to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS but you can work in research/industry/pharmaceutical if you get the training and start at the bottom if you want. It's just giving you the extra option if you want. I think anyway, as I said, I'm no expert, I'm basically learning as I go so I might be proven wrong on that in the next few months! I'm applying for both now although I'd prefer the security of the NHS (again, the word security might be laughable now but..!) It looks like I'll have to start at the bottom anyway, no matter what area I go into.

I take it you're doing the non-accredited course? What year are you in? Are you getting much experience? What are you hoping to do?

Yeah, I'm doing a non-accredited course, at UCL, I'm only in my first year though. Our course (and other non-accredited courses) are really open for us to do anything within biology/chemistry - we can pick and choose our modules (from second year onwards), obviously with some limitations. But what I'm saying is it's not that we have to learn specific things like you would from the IBMS. And I don't think we can become biomedical scientists with this course, because we don't do any work on testing samples or anything of the such. It's much more aimed at doing research after the degree. That's why I thought accredited courses were limited - cause you have to learn those set skills which puts you in placed to become a scientist.

I wanna try for medicine (I failed first time around), otherwise I'd like to do some managment thing in a hospital is possible. Hows the applying for jobs going anyway? Is it really hard?
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm seeing sooooo many asbestos jobs!? What is with that? Every time I look up laboratory jobs, about half them are asbestos jobs which I don't want. And that I'd have to have another qualification for that I don't want too. I don't want to waste time getting a useless qualification.

Latest

Trending

Trending