The Student Room Group

Really bad As teacher

She doesn't teach properly at all, instead dumps us with a thick pile of sheets each lesson.

The class gets loud at times, and her attitude was, "You don't hear, tough , your own fault", but then how does that help the people who genuinley want to learn.

3 days before our mock we were given a pile of sheets.

All she says each lesson is , don't worry the exams not hard.

When you ask for help, she starts being very rude, and looks at us as if we're stupid, or it's our fault.

Everybody basically self teaches the course.

Numerous students have complained, and yet nothing has been done. We thought because it's a school sixthform, this would be aknowledged and something would be done.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could anyone advise me what to do. Any help is much appreciated.
egg her car!
Reply 3
You should probably keep telling the head of sixth, or head of dept until something is done.

We once tried to complain about our Physics teacher, until we realised we had no other replacement teachers anyway as he was the only one, but we spoke to the head of science about it and he went and spoke to our phys teacher. I think it helped very slightly, but nonetheless made a difference :smile:

You could always try asking other teachers for help who teach the same subject, or if it comes down to it, hire a tutor. Good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Ah this totally sucks. My friends have a history teacher like this.

If you haven't been responded to by someone, go higher. Ask your parents to speak with the head, or even to the governors. And try to get everyone's parents to do the same.
But the main problem is, that they can't really fire her. Not on that basis. All they can do is inform her and perhaps have someone supervise her lessons for a while.

But if you're doing the edexcel, it isn't to hard to do it on your own.
And worst comes to the worst there is always people on TSR who will help you with any questions/problems you have. :smile:

I hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 5
If this keeps continuing and nothing has been done I advise you to try and convince the class to just not bother turning up. If the classes are suddenly empty then they will listen. However it really depends how good you are with self teaching.
I pretty much self taught myself my a levels too. You just gotta deal with really.
Thread title should have been really bad ass teacher. Just sayin.
I find going to the local newspaper is a good way of getting the bastard/bitch fired. Once the local people read about this ****ty teacher, the whole county will complain and the sixth form will be forced to get rid of her.

Or an easier way is to slit the teachers throat, and bury the body.
Just get everyone to stop going to her class, and teach it yourselves (or get a tutor, or ask if you can join another group, if possible?)
Reply 10
Sounds exactly like a teacher I had last year for AS. He used to send us off at the beginning of lessons to run to the shops and buy biscuits and cakes for us to eat :/ Then other times he would read through a sheet for 5 minutes and then dismiss the class :/ It's very annoying having a teacher like this. I would suggest you go as a group to see your head of year, as then they should listen to you. If not, get a parent to make a phone call? It may be that other parents have done the same thing...

But for now, you're not going to want to hear this...but you're going to have to work yourself and teach it to yourself. Go through the textbook at your own pace (we didn't even have a textbook, so you may be more lucky than me here!) and make notes/ look things up on the Internet/ask TSR (!) etc. Also, revision sessions with your friends/class really help :smile:

Like I said, this happened to me and no surprises - I underperformed at AS in this subject as a result. The teacher was 'asked to leave'. It means I have to work really hard this year and do re-sits in that subject. At least you will have the opportunity to make up for it at A2 if you have a different teacher? Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by STARRS
Thread title should have been really bad ass teacher. Just sayin.

Yeah I was hoping to hear a teacher bites pitbull to death story or something too.
Original post by Rational Paradox
Just get everyone to stop going to her class, and teach it yourselves (or get a tutor, or ask if you can join another group, if possible?)

I think people would be a bit scared of not attending the lesson due to EMA or attendance issues, which is understandable. And their isn't another group.

Head of sixthform has been approached and promised to look into the problem, but after a long wait, nothing was done.
Original post by canthardlywait
I think people would be a bit scared of not attending the lesson due to EMA or attendance issues, which is understandable. And their isn't another group.

Head of sixthform has been approached and promised to look into the problem, but after a long wait, nothing was done.

ah, that's ridiculous - i know what you mean though, took a year to fire this ridiculously incompetent physics teacher at my school, no idea what compelled them to delay it for so long

If not, then just go anyway, and keep on complaining; get parents/teachers involved and go to the governors
I had this problem last year with my history teacher and ended up with a D. I'd got 100% at GCSE. Finally, I turned on the tears and stamped my feet and got my mum to complain enough until they moved me and I'm back to getting A's, but it's a little embarrassing appyling to archaeology with a D grade history As.

You just need to keep pestering them and, I know it's hard, self teach the course. Buy a text book and revision guide and literally spend two hours a night doing it yourself. I had to do this for my retake and the exam was a breeze.

I have complete sympathy for you though.
Reply 15
those who cant do anything teach. those who cant teach teach gym. some tutors at uni treat students this way as well. not answering emails. not wanting to be questioned about his her lectures. at least school teachers should pass some kind of competency personality tests before they are allowed to teach.

edit. some uni tutors seem to answer emails from girls. but not from boys. when girls ask many questions in lecture, she is enthusiastic. when boys ask many questions in lecture, he is a nasty creep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Same for my history teacher.

You can and should complain BUT at the same time it's sort of like 'tough luck', or it was with me. Basically, I taught myself from the textbook. It's a long and sometimes tiring process which obviously requires a lot of your spare time but you can either sit there moaning about it (which, i understand from personal experience you have every right to) OR you can do something about it

At the end of the day your grade is in your hands. Perhaps look at tutors if that's a possibility?

Seriously though, i think it's disgraceful how many awful teachers there are in the education system but for now, you've got to concentrate on bagging a good grade.
Reply 17
My physics teacher was this bad. He had no ability to keep order in a classroom, and worse, used to tell us deliberate misinformation. :s-smilie:

My solution was to stick some earplugs in and get on with teaching myself out the textbook. Schools know which teachers are incompetent, it's hardly escaped their notice I'm sure - all you can do is minimise the damage to your own education. (Also, don't hire a tutor, they cost a fortune! Go with textbooks instead.)
Reply 18
My chemistry teacher was like this.
I got a tutor. She pulled my grade from an E to a B. Yeah, they're expensive, but in my case it was worth it.
Original post by kerily
My physics teacher was this bad. He had no ability to keep order in a classroom, and worse, used to tell us deliberate misinformation. :s-smilie:

My solution was to stick some earplugs in and get on with teaching myself out the textbook. Schools know which teachers are incompetent, it's hardly escaped their notice I'm sure - all you can do is minimise the damage to your own education. (Also, don't hire a tutor, they cost a fortune! Go with textbooks instead.)

Tutor , i wish lol. Yeah im glad you said that because i couldn't even probably afford one, so thats not even something i could consider. That would of been an ideal solution, because then it wouldn't matter whatever little the teacher taught in lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest