The Student Room Group

Liverpool med

When they say they dont accept Maths and FM as separate subjects, does this mean for the 3A's they require that they will not accept M and FM as 2 of the three but will accept FM as the 4th AS, or do they not consider FM whatsoever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From the wording you've posted, I would assume that they don't consider it at all. A few medical schools specify "FM only accepted as a 4th AS", but if Liverpool state "we do not see maths and FM as separate subjects" then I'm inclined to believe that they don't accept it at all.
Reply 2
Original post by arunadindane
When they say they dont accept Maths and FM as separate subjects, does this mean for the 3A's they require that they will not accept M and FM as 2 of the three but will accept FM as the 4th AS, or do they not consider FM whatsoever?

From the website:

Original post by Liverpool Uni
Evidence of excellent attainment in general and advanced secondary education: GCSEs in nine subjects at a minimum of grade C: attained by the end of Year 11 and at least a score of 15 points or better (where A*/A = 2; B = 1) from the nine and including: Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry, and Physics), English Language, and Mathematics (all at least grade B) Preference will be given to applicants with a higher GSCE score. A levels in three subjects taken at one sitting after 2 years of study (plus a 4th subject to at least AS level): at a minimum of AAA(b) Chemistry and Biology are subject requirements at A2 level. Only one of Maths or Further Maths will be considered. the Extended Project qualification may be acceptable at grade B in place of the AS level qualification in some instances

And it says at A2 you need a Biology A, a chemistry A and one other A2 at A, plus a B at AS. By the sounds of it, if you're putting maths as your third A2, you can't put further maths down as the AS level, you'll need another subject, but the wording isn't too clear. My advice: email them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
It seems pretty obvious to me, don't do ****ing further maths if you want to do medicine and if you are stupid enough to do further ****ing maths, don't expect it to count for anything?
Reply 4
Original post by Renal
It seems pretty obvious to me, don't do ****ing further maths if you want to do medicine and if you are stupid enough to do further ****ing maths, don't expect it to count for anything?

I say we should change the medicine forum description to that. :tongue: All in favour?!
Reply 5
Well if I enjoy it and am very good at it why shouldn't I take it, and some medical schools now even accept it in the three A-level offer, and anyway I never understood why some don't accept it as it's content is in fact much harder than any other A-level.
Reply 6
Well if I enjoy it and am very good at it why shouldn't I take it, and some medical schools now even accept it in the three A-level offer, and anyway I never understood why some don't accept it as it's content is in fact much harder than any other A-level.

Same reason why they don't accept Human Biology as well as Biology - there is a massive content overlap. By all accounts it's not like the additional content in a FM A-Level is even (vaguely) related to the degree anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Beska
I say we should change the medicine forum description to that. :tongue: All in favour?!

Agreed. I confess, I've never really seen the point of it. Maybe add in something about how 4 A levels are no better than 3, and about how all med schools are essentially equal? Maybe in flashing lights?
Reply 8
No relevance to the degree if you take English literature but that's allowed.
Reply 9
Original post by Duckasaurus
Agreed. I confess, I've never really seen the point of it. Maybe add in something about how 4 A levels are no better than 3, and about how all med schools are essentially equal? Maybe in flashing lights?

and how about YOU DON'T NEED ANY MATHS FOR MEDICINE UNLESS YOU WANT TO APPLY TO CAMBRIDGE, in really big capital red letters?

The relevance isn't really the point. It's the fact that at the end of the day, you have 2 Maths A Levels. That's not a range. Some unis refused to consider my Sports Studies A Level cos it's too similar to Biology.
Reply 11
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The relevance isn't really the point. It's the fact that at the end of the day, you have 2 Maths A Levels. That's not a range. Some unis refused to consider my Sports Studies A Level cos it's too similar to Biology.

But it would've been easier for me to take physics instead of FM but I decided not to as I wanted to challenge myself, so it's not as though my skills are particularly limited and I couldn't have taken something else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why waste time with all the hassle - just do any other subject that will be counted as a third/fourth A Level!
Reply 13

Relevance wasn't the issue (it was just a fleeting point) - it's the overlap that is the problem. If you studied English Literature and then some other imaginary subject than had a significant overlap of content, then it wouldn't be allowed.
Further Maths - Take it as a 4th AS/A-level because you want to, as opposed to expecting it to count towards your medical school application.
Reply 15
Original post by Renal

It's only further maths for Gods sake chill out.:tongue:
Reply 16

Seriously? Don't do a subject just because they don't accept it as an A level? By all means, take 3 other things, because if they don't accept it you won't get in with it.

But if you like it and think it will benefit you, do it. Aren't lessons supposed to be about learning things, rather than to just receive arbitrary numbers to get into university?
Reply 17
Original post by Jimmypenny
Seriously? Don't do a subject just because they don't accept it as an A level? By all means, take 3 other things, because if they don't accept it you won't get in with it.

But if you like it and think it will benefit you, do it. Aren't lessons supposed to be about learning things, rather than to just receive arbitrary numbers to get into university?

If you like it, do it. But it doesn't count for anything, and if it draws away resources (time, energy, etc.) from getting A*AA/AAA in your main subjects which makes you miss your offer then on your head be it!
Original post by Jimmypenny

how many lessons have you been to that have genuinely been about you learning interesting things rather than just the rigid curriculum imposed by the A level syllabus and nothing more?
Reply 19
Original post by John Locke
how many lessons have you been to that have genuinely been about you learning interesting things rather than just the rigid curriculum imposed by the A level syllabus and nothing more?

Unfortunately not many, so I guess you have a point. I guess it's more of a factor of if you like doing it or not.

MATHS IS FUN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending