The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by FurryApricote
loooooool

If you look like you've just painted on ur clothes and thats how tight ur clothes are... thats not hijab.
LOOL

:smile: My favorite is the mickey mouse one LOL
Original post by LadyLondoner
Yay i found my people!

haha, welcome....we have dolma :biggrin:
Original post by infernalcradle
haha, welcome....we have dolma :biggrin:

lol funnily enough, i had that today!
Reply 923
kubah?
Food conversations are torturous.

By the way, you know za'faraan is ridiculously expensive? More than gold I think.
Reply 925
Original post by Yazmina
kubah?

You don't know what kuba is? Here is what it looks like (I can't believe there is a FB page on it). I don't like it very much, but if it's with soup, I can eat it.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=63065835841
Reply 926
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

By the way, you know za'faraan is ridiculously expensive? More than gold I think.

I know!!!!!!!! It's about $10 for a freakin' small container, no bigger than the size of my palm. My mom uses it on the zarda during Muharram, but it tastes and smells really good!
Original post by neuro101
I know!!!!!!!! It's about $10 for a freakin' small container, no bigger than the size of my palm. My mom uses it on the zarda during Muharram, but it tastes and smells really good!

My mother brings me back qeema from the masjid in Muharram. Qeemat Najaf or Qeemat Karbala. I don't know which is which, but one of them is nicer than the other.
Reply 928
^ Meat is meat, right? :confused: It tastes all the same to me. I dunno, I guess we make here Samawa Qeemat (our cooks are from Samawa).

But, guess who just made khistenan and klitecha (my accent is terrible)? Well, not me, my madre. I rather starve than cook.

haha, mum always gets a few tons of the stuff everytime we go back to Iraq cos its a helluva lot cheaper there than it is here.....
Reply 930
^ Meat is meat, right? :confused: It tastes all the same to me. I dunno, I guess we make here Samawa Qeemat (our cooks are from Samawa).

But, guess who just made khistenan and klitecha (my accent is terrible)? Well, not me, my madre. I rather starve than cook.

I've never heard of that before, what is it made of? :colondollar:
Reply 931
Original post by mare?
I've never heard of that before, what is it made of? :colondollar:

I'd spell it for you in Arabic, but it converts it to symbols, oh well.

I don't know...dough? LOL It's a dessert, it has a sugary taste to it, there's pistachio in the middle. If you want the ingredient, I can ask mom. I looked it up online, but couldn't find anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd spell it for you in Arabic, but it converts it to symbols, oh well.

I don't know...dough? LOL It's a dessert, it has a sugary taste to it, there's pistachio in the middle. If you want the ingredient, I can ask mom. I looked it up online, but couldn't find anything.

Sounds an awful lot like 'Men il-sima'
Reply 933
Original post by win2kpro
Sounds an awful lot like 'Men il-sima'

No, I just remembered it's also called "shakr lema". I found a website with its ingredients and there is a picture as well. http://www.aliraqi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77977

It's really yummy, especially with tea!
Reply 934
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

Yes, I'm beginning to feel extremely nauseous now.
Reply 935
You don't know what kuba is? Here is what it looks like (I can't believe there is a FB page on it). I don't like it very much, but if it's with soup, I can eat it.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=63065835841

of course I know what it is.. I was just joining in the food conversation. I make it using beetroot though, like this:
Reply 936
Original post by Yazmina
of course I know what it is.. I was just joining in the food conversation. I make it using beetroot though, like this:

:colondollar: Sorrrry. What does that taste like? It looks interesting. I've never seen it cooked that way.
Reply 937
:colondollar: Sorrrry. What does that taste like? It looks interesting. I've never seen it cooked that way.

I've only ever had it that way... it's my favourite dish - you've gotta try it!
Reply 938
A question to all the Iraqi's out there...

Does you family back home ever ask you when you are coming back "home"? as in to stay permanently?
A question to all the Iraqi's out there...

Does you family back home ever ask you when you are coming back "home"? as in to stay permanently?

Yes, over the phone they asked. I told them "When Saddam dies".

This was in the 80's.

I amost got my family horribly killed :colondollar:

They haven't asked since.

Quick Reply

Latest