The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels too easy??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A*'s are not easy if you pick difficult subjects.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You're probably smart academically but lack common sense? I'm not saying this is true but it might be an explanation.

I got an A in A level Psychology so I pretty sure I have common sense. Even through, common sense is mostly wrong.

Plus I got an A in Further Maths so I can reason.

P.S. I personally feel A levels are easy, I made a thread about it and all I got was neg rep. Hence, why I tend to avoid these threads.
Yeah, I agree, it's stupid that most of the unis I applied to (4 out of 5) wanted AAA. That makes it extremely hard for people to know exactly what they are capable of getting into, because even Oxford only wanted AAA. I'd rather things reverted to the old system, It's to hard to differentiate between the good students and the excellent ones.
Original post by Simplicity
I got an A in A level Psychology so I pretty sure I have common sense. Even through, common sense is mostly wrong.

Plus I got an A in Further Maths so I can reason.

P.S. I personally feel A levels are easy, I made a thread about it and all I got was neg rep. Hence, why I tend to avoid these threads.

I dunno really, even Psychology A-levels don't require common sense if you just learn essays and repeat them in the exam.

If I had it my way I wouldn't allow resits so you are motivated to work hard rather than dossing the whole 2 years and resitting everything in the summer. I just don't think it's fair on people who got it right first time, mind you some unis dislike resits for particular courses.
well there is a correlation and always will be, between university requirements and the difficulty of A levels. For example, if A levels are easy, then uni's will just make their requirements higher.
So does it really matter? I mean, you hear about people with A*A*A and 10 A*'s at GCSE being rejected from top 5 Uni's... So I don't think you can say A level's are too easy, or if they are, that just means you have to get the high grades to get into a top Uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by patrickedore
A*'s are not easy if you pick difficult subjects.

I picked Maths and Further Maths. I got A's easy in both.

Most people find GCSEs Maths hard to get A's. Yet, it's easy.

A levels have been dumbed down as today's children intelligence has decreased a lot.
Original post by Sabster
Hahahahah, A level grades are not done via percentiles you idiot.

But grades were lower cause exams were harder - check out some exams from 1970 and you would flop big time.

I'm working on what I've been told; I did say correct me if I'm wrong. No need to be a dick about it.

You can't assume I would flop them as you don't really know anything about me. But even if exam difficulty is a factor, which I admit that it probably is, you have to admit that being able to re-take and having the comfort of being able to do half of your A Level in one year and then the other half in the next, and therefore not having to revise two years' worth of material before your exams, makes life easier.
Reply 27
Original post by Sabster
Anyone else think A-Levels are far too easy?

They need to revert back to the old days when getting a c-d was good and an A was incredible.

Because currently everybody gets As and it is ridiculously easy to do so (with very little work whatsoever).

Thus it is soo hard for the universities to seek out the good candidates.

You found it easy but not everybody does. You should count yourself lucky and not be so cocky!
I found A Levels manageable, handled them better than most but I'd never say they were easy. That's just a major slap in the face to those who found them difficult.

A levels have been dumbed down as today's children intelligence has decreased a lot.

Then clearly you have a talent for maths. People have different talents, doesn't make them stupid for not knowing how to solve quadratic equations. (and yes, I am fully aware quadratic equations aren't the most difficult part of an A-level maths course, it is just an example) :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Let's be honest here, most A Levels arent exactly a measure of intelligence, it's more of a measure of 'OOH HOW CAN WE GET THE EXAMINER TO GET US MOST POINTS'.
Then clearly you have a talent for maths. People have different talents, doesn't make them stupid for not knowing how to solve quadratic equations.

Thinking quadratic equations are the highlight makes them stupid
Original post by arob752
Thinking quadratic equations are the highlight makes them stupid

:rolleyes: I never said it was, it was an example of something you do in Maths. I did it last year so I know exactly what is involved. Get off your high horse.
(edited 12 years ago)
I dunno really, even Psychology A-levels don't require common sense if you just learn essays and repeat them in the exam.

If I had it my way I wouldn't allow resits so you are motivated to work hard rather than dossing the whole 2 years and resitting everything in the summer. I just don't think it's fair on people who got it right first time, mind you some unis dislike resits for particular courses.

Common sense is ill defined. I had a discussion with a Mathematician at the uni I go to who is trying to define what it is so then he can find away to make AI have more common sense.

I find Psychology A level more of arguing some key idea across as opposed to learning essays.

Resits aren't that bad. Imagine on the day you are ill or that something you can't control screwed up the exam. If you are poor in general when you resit the marks won't go up. Think the only exception is Mathematics where since you are using earlier stuff when you resit you have a massive advantage.
Common sense is ill defined. I had a discussion with a Mathematician at the uni I go to who is trying to define what it is so then he can find away to make AI have more common sense.

I find Psychology A level more of arguing some key idea across as opposed to learning essays.

Resits aren't that bad. Imagine on the day you are ill or that something you can't control screwed up the exam. If you are poor in general when you resit the marks won't go up. Think the only exception is Mathematics where since you are using earlier stuff when you resit you have a massive advantage.

I'll give you that one, resits are fair if someone has been ill or for other reasons couldn't do the original exam but I guess technically since they aren't repeating it they aren't actually resitting.
Reply 34

I think A's are not that hard, I agree but A-Levels can be hard if you want A*s.
Dont you think those A-Levels would have been hard if you had to get A*A*A* in maths, further maths and a foreign language such as Latin, German, French or even another science such as physics or chemistry?

I think GCSE Maths is easy and if someone really finds it easy they would get an A with no problem.
I'll give you that one, resits are fair if someone has been ill or for other reasons couldn't do the original exam but I guess technically since they aren't repeating it they aren't actually resitting.

Most module test on 6 exams.

I don't think you can judge someone skill on 6 exam that they have no chance of repeating.

On another note, if you could do an exam and just by repeating it get higher scores, then the test itself is flawed. I think it's a flaw in the test itself and not resits that are the problem.
Original post by patrickedore
I think A's are not that hard, I agree but A-Levels can be hard if you want A*s.
Dont you think those A-Levels would have been hard if you had to get A*A*A* in maths, further maths and a foreign language such as Latin, German, French or even another science such as physics or chemistry?

I think GCSE Maths is easy and if someone really finds it easy they would get an A with no problem.

A* was introduced when I left. Through, I could probably get them easier would just need to be more careful.

I'm bad at languages and drop them in GCSEs. To be fair, Physics would have been easier than Psychology. Mechanics is easy.
Most module test on 6 exams.

I don't think you can judge someone skill on 6 exam that they have no chance of repeating.

On another note, if you could do an exam and just by repeating it get higher scores, then the test itself is flawed. I think it's a flaw in the test itself and not resits that are the problem.

Yeah perhaps you're right, but it might be that resitting gives you longer to learn the content so you do better later on - you'll have new units to learn too but it could just mean people don't put the effort in until the last minute and still do well while others have worked extremely hard over 2 years.

People who think "sack it I can't be bothered, I'll just resit" shouldn't be treated on the same par as people who consistently put the effort in IMO because it isn't a very good work ethic to be used to having second (and even third) chances. It might increase the pressure and therefore difficulty, but there are going to be arguments for and against this.
Reply 38
Original post by Zhy
In my opinion, some subjects such as mathematics can be easier to get the higher grades, particular because of the procedural style of the course.

Do you do maths?
Reply 39
To be fair I've seen some A-level Physics textbooks from the 1970s and yeah they do seem to be a lot harder than the ones now. More complex mathematics and a tonne of stuff to learn. Old maths past papers seem to be much harder too so in that respect the Physics and Maths has gotten simpler.

Quick Reply

Latest