The Student Room Group

Confusion about UCAS points for IB/a-levels

Hey everyone

I took the IB, and after receiving my results started doing some research on how my grades compare. If I'm not mistaking I have 457 UCAS points (33 in the IB).
My offer to study medicine was 36 points, and a level applicants usually received the offer AAB. Now looking at UCAS points wouldn't AAB give 340 points? This can surely not be the case as I missed my offer and still have way more than that. So can anyone tell me how UCAS points for a levels are calculate?

Help is very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Universities dont seem to take UCAS points into account unless you do A- levels, I did the IB as well and saw that there was a massive gap between the points tariffs.
Even if you go to the University with this information it is very unlikely to make a difference but it is always worth a shot. Best of Luck.
Reply 2
Your calculations are right, but UCAS points don't seem relevant when it comes to the IB. They don't realise how hard we have to work. :frown:

Anyway, good luck!
Original post by Semyon
Your calculations are right, but UCAS points don't seem relevant when it comes to the IB. They don't realise how hard we have to work. :frown:

Anyway, good luck!

It seems you're making a comparison of the work load in IB and A Levels, but at the same time implying you've not actually ever taken A Levels.
Reply 4
The offer for medicine is AAA.
Reply 5
It seems you're making a comparison of the work load in IB and A Levels, but at the same time implying you've not actually ever taken A Levels.

True, but no-one's going to take both to make sure. :biggrin: All my friends, who do both IB and A-levels, would acknowledge that the IB people work harder.

But yeah, you're right, I probably shouldn't say things like that. Universities' attitude to the IB makes me annoyed though.
Reply 6
Some unis do a straight conversation. For me Bradford wanted people to get AAA (360 UCAS points) so they gave me an offer of 28. Others said that if it were AAA for A levels they wanted 34 at IB.
I get the impression that most ignore UCAS tariffs. It's a pain but I can see why, just because of the number of subjects we do it is easier for us to have a higher UCAS score.
most A level students do have an extra As level or two. so that could be another 120 ucas points added to their AAB at A levels making 460 ucas points, which would make more than you. But i do feel some unis don't weight IB equally to a levels, even though IB have a greater work load.
Reply 8
Agree with ihinkimcool I have completed five ASs, four A levels, 3 national diplomas (and still half way through 3 others), CSLA, ECDL and an extended project. If I meet my predictions I have something like 800 ucas points well in excess of my AAA offer. As far as IB goes if its a greater workload than what I have done or my friends (many of whom have been doing degree courses as well as alevels) then hat goes off to you
Reply 9
Trying to compare IB with A levels is like trying to compare a pineapple with some pears.

They are just different things altogether

Though for what it's worth I'll argue that IB is a little under appreciated by universities :hmpf:

...don't get me started.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending