The Student Room Group

Fed up of my sister stealing things off me!

For a few years now she's been taking things off me and it's driving me crazy.
It's silly little things like a concealer, clothes etc and I don't know if I'm over-reacting but I keep finding my stuff in her room and when I ask her why it's there she just says 'It's mine!'. Like last year we ordered some mineral make-up together and one of my items went missing, I just found it in her room and she says she ordered it the same time, but I ordered different things and my concealer was one and she didn't. I said 'Will you help me find mine then, because it's missing?' and she said 'Yeah sure' then five minutes later she asked me if I wanted the concealer because it doesn't suit her skin! Guilty conscience?

This is an example of today but it happens quite regularly and my mum always sides with her saying 'Maybe she genuinely things it belongs to her!' but I think she's just found something of mine she likes and then acts all dumb about it so it makes me look bad.

Driving me crazy. Anyone else had this and how to deal with it?! I don't mind lending her things if she asks!

Scroll to see replies

I've been in a similiar situation.

Buy a lock for your door, one of the best investments i have ever made :awesome:
Reply 2
I was once accused of stealing a pen from my sister's room (still get reminded of it, actually) but I, for the life of me cannot remember doing it.
Maybe put them somewhere in your room where she won't find them so that if she wants them, she has to ask?
Reply 3
Original post by bammzie
I was once accused of stealing a pen from my sister's room (still get reminded of it, actually) but I, for the life of me cannot remember doing it.
Maybe put them somewhere in your room where she won't find them so that if she wants them, she has to ask?

I can't put stuff where she can't find them really, because I only have like a desk, wardrobe and drawers so if she really wants something she'll just look. This was in my make up bag on top of my desk and something I use every day. Arghh I can even prove from my 'Order History' on the website that only one concealer was ordered, so why is she saying it's hers? She also says she's only ordered that time with me so she can't have bought it seperately. Bit weird that when mine dissapears she's suddenly had one for a year. Or she must just be really thick if i have maybe left it in the bathroom and she thinks its hers but she never even put it there.
Reply 4
I just wish she would say 'Oh I thought that was mine, sorry I'm mistaken it's your one have it back' instead of pretending to give it to me. Well I know d*mn well it's mine. :frown:
My younger brother used to go into my room, steal things and hide them in his room. So I got a lock. But one time, I was in my room with a friend, he moved his little drawer set (one of the child ones with wheels) stood on it, and locked me in :colonhash:
Reply 6
since you have spoken about it theres not more you can do apart from an idea I had. Why not put some kind of well hidden marker on stuffyour sister takes (or stuff you think she might take) and tell your mum what it is but not your sister. the same idea is used in magic tricks, a little tell so you can see one thing from another. I personally suggest those little dots they sell in stationary shops on the tag on the clothes or on the make up bottles put a black ring with a marker around the top or bottom
Reply 7
Just go and steal her stuff
CCTV?
Lock your door, buy a uv pen and write your name on items that are yours. I'm not sure if it will wash off of clothes tags so you could just write in permanant :smile:
the exact same thing always happens to me!! and everyone just laughs and says 'thats what younger sisters do though!' drives me absolutely crazzyyy! and we share a room so i have no hiding spaces!!! xxx
Reply 11
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Lock your door, buy a uv pen and write your name on items that are yours. I'm not sure if it will wash off of clothes tags so you could just write in permanant :smile:

I thought of UV pens but wont some club lighting show its there therefore ruining the ops clothes?
Reply 12
Locks are your friend.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous

Driving me crazy. Anyone else had this and how to deal with it?! I don't mind lending her things if she asks!

Family members always borrow things off of each other. I do it all the time with my mum and vice versa. But if this is really upsetting you, then ask her nicely to leave your stuff and not to even go into your room, without your permission. If this dont work, buy her some makeup for Xmas or her birthday, then tell her, now you have no reason to use mine.

Hoped this helped. I know its annoying when people mess with your stuff, but siblings always do things like this and just try not to get too upset. There are problems out there that are much worse:smile::smile:
Reply 14
I've always wished I had a sister, but this kind of stuff puts me off :biggrin:
Reply 15
My family steals everything, I go into my little brother's room and he'll have my DVD's, books and PS3 games. My sister steals hairbands and make up, but to be fair we're always stealing our mum's nail polish and such.

I think it's natural for families to do it, doesn't make it any less annoying but I think it's one of the only times people can justify stealing is when it's little things from your family. Because we all know we rather fancy that item our sibling has and surely there's no harm in 'borrowing' it for an undefined period of time, am I right? :colone:
Trust me, happens to me ALL THE BLOODY TIME...one time I had a raging argument with my sister over it. Yeah, I know we're family yadda yadda but it's still annoying. Really can't wait to go uni...
Original post by DOA
I thought of UV pens but wont some club lighting show its there therefore ruining the ops clothes?

There was a similar thread like this a while back where i said about uv pens :tongue:
I said to just write in permanant marker on the tags of her clothes, so no it wouldn't ruin the OP's clothes.
As everyone else has suggested.. buy a lock.

Latest

Trending

Trending