The Student Room Group

Attractive girl but with no friends

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lol, i can actually tell why you have no friends. you annoy me a lot, say you're good looking and then dont post a picture up? maybe you just have a crap personality.
Reply 41
Original post by mvp47
Do you smell by any chance? Knew some guy in primary school who used to stink of piss, needless to say that everyone moved away from him. But the teacher used to force us to sit next to him. :frown:

Haha maybe that's it :tongue:

Original post by Arekkusu
I didn't understand the problem till I'd left, but I knew I was doing something wrong. I spent most of my teenage years worrying about my lack of social life and trying to change my personality and replace the shyness with a veneer of confidence.

It kind of worked, as well, but it was a slog and a lot of self-hatred/depression/relationship issues remain.

Sorry, not very helpful :redface: I suppose worry and self-hatred are a part of teenage life for everyone, so maybe I'm being melodramatic.

Why self hatred? Nothing wrong with being quiet it's just annoying when people don't see past it. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by zalwanich
Post a picture. I bet you're ugly.

She's already been told that she's pretty. Can't you just take what she said at face value and giver her constructive advice anyway? What reason do you have to think that she's lying/some deluded idiot that think she's attractive?
Reply 43
LOL all the advice on this thread is USELESS!
Reply 44
Original post by Envy*
You remind me of this girl I sort of know. She's tall, blonde, Swedish and gorgeous. She also used to be incredibly intimidating because she never seemed to want to talk to anyone, yet was friends with all the guys. Turned out she was just shy and not very good at making conversation but responded well to the guys obviously because they all flirted with her or were super nice to her all the time. I ended up being in a group with her for something at school and realized she was the complete opposite of what I had previously thought (that being bitchy, cold cow).

Obviously it's wrong and unfair to just make assumptions of people, but it's all based on what we're presented with. You just need to show people that you're nicer than they think, I guess. Say hi to them when you see them, or smile, or make simple observations every once in a while like "I like your top/hair/bracelet/whatever". As long as they sound sincere, compliments can go a long way in changing someone's opinion of you. Talk to some of the quieter people, you know just be nice. Not too nice though, that's just annoying.

Ahh her personality sounds just like mine. Thank you for the decent reply. :smile:

Original post by zalwanich
Lol, i can actually tell why you have no friends. you annoy me a lot, say you're good looking and then dont post a picture up? maybe you just have a crap personality.

Well I'm glad I annoy you. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Envy*
She's already been told that she's pretty. Can't you just take what she said at face value and giver her constructive advice anyway? What reason do you have to think that she's lying/some deluded idiot that think she's attractive?

Well maybe she is a deluded idiot. Or maybe she needs mental help, seeming that she has no friends- that would make sense; you concur?
Original post by Anonymous
OK. Not helpful but yeah. You make it sound as if I think I'm the fittest girl ever, I really don't. Doesn't mean I can't realise whether I'm decent looking or not.

That is the impression you have given me with your posts.

"Nobody likes me because I am so attractive, they're all jealous and spiteful."

Intentional or not, that is the message I got.
Reply 47
Original post by JinnJamez
LOL all the advice on this thread is USELESS!

Where's yours then?
I don't think you're being immodest at all, I don't know why people automatically assume you're arrogant just because you've said you're attractive.

I kinda had the same problem at sixth form. A girl from my college who I'd never seen before randomly came up to me in Boots and after talking to me a little while told me she'd seen me around college and thought I looked like a bitch :lolwut:

And I remember this guy in one of my classes really liked me and the 'rude girls' in our class used to deliberately put me down in front of him and used to say things about how black guys shouldn't go out with white girls and all this kind of crap. I remember feeling really self conscious at the time and it really got me down, but with hindsight it's kinda obvious why they were doing it.

Don't let it get you down or anything, people can just be spiteful and jealous.
Reply 49
Why self hatred? Nothing wrong with being quiet it's just annoying when people don't see past it. :smile:

I'm one of the inward, inexpressive types - my family isn't very emotional, I never really learnt how to do it.
Reply 50
Original post by Astronomical
That is the impression you have given me with your posts.

"Nobody likes me because I am so attractive, they're all jealous and spiteful."

Intentional or not, that is the message I got.

Fair enough, though I did say in my OP

"I get the feeling I must project this image of being stuck up or something when I am not."

"girls either have that weird bitchy thing where they hate other girls who are pretty (even though they are gorgeous themselves) or they see me as cold/un interested and as though I think I'm better than them or something.

How can I stop projecting this image? I'm not arrogant or stuck up, I'm just quiet, but I do want to get to know people!

I'm sure I will get some abuse for calling myself attractive because having decent self esteem clearly means I am a cocky bitch who thinks she is god's gift.. "

I tried to get across that I don't think I'm amazing, more that some other people assume that I think that.
Reply 51
I really don't get the whole 'I'm too pretty to make friends' thing :s-smilie: and I HATE GIRLS WHO SAY 'girls are too bitchy for me to make friends with' ¬_¬

Surely it's your personality, in my college the prettiest girls had the most friends thats generally how it is around me, pretty people are more popular.

NOONE is so drop dead gorgeous that it prevents them making friends :/ go on the prettiests girls from
my colleges facebooks they're the one's with the most active social lives and going out every weekend with their friends. If so supermodels and attractive people would not have freinds!!!

I don't get how some girls find it so hard to make female friends also, can someone explain that to me ? It's not hard.

I make female friends everywhere I go, school, work, parties events.

I have found when I look prettier I attract MORE GIRLS!

Not to toot my own horn but during sixth form I was very popular and have found I have mastered making friends with girls, I'm not joking either, you have to understand your fellow females and know what they like, observe the type of person they are and try and find stuff in common.

Typical girl scenario :

'I love your dress' 'Your make up is so nice' 'Your hair is stunning' then you say 'Thanks so is yours where is ....from?' then she replies, then you say 'you have to show me there' then she says 'have you got twitter / facebook/bbm'. Add her and so it all starts.

Clothes,makeup, hair, music, boys, family all these things have been AMAZING conversation staters for talking to girls.

Seriously. I have made SOO many female friends over the years like this, I have friends in every country that I have visited all over the world by simply doing this. They are lifelong friends too, my friends that I met in the toilet in a New York party, host me every summer in their home and have done so for the past 2 years. They are like my family.

I'm not saying I don't believe you OP but in my life experience the better I look the more girls I attract. The more friendly I am the more people speak to me, the more smiley I am the more people smile with me :smile:

You sound too 'me , me , me' 'I'm too pretty to make friends' I'm so shy' blah blah.

Maybe step out of the box and notice OTHERS rather than you you you .

Girls like people who make them feel special, friends included. I and my friends go out of our way to make the other feel special and loved , this is the key to female friendships, boosting their confidence, supporting them, caring for them, having fun together, being 'real' with them even when it hurts because you care.

Are you showing this to other girls ?

People like happy friendly caring people who will be 'fun' to be around.

I seriously don't think being 'pretty' has anything to do with your failure to make friends, much more to it than that

¬_¬
(edited 12 years ago)
I just wondered if anyone else is in a similar position as me.

I've never been one of the popular girls and I didn't become 'attractive' (in my opinion) until I was about 16/17. I've always had friends but these days they are few and far between apart from a couple of really good friends that I have had since I was about 13.

I find it hard to make friends. I'm quite quiet, not really shy just don't talk that much. I find I get along a lot easier with guys than girls, though I would quite like some female friends. Problem is, most of the girls I know are either very bitchy and extremely concerned about self-image etc or they just don't want to know me. I've been told by one girl who I got to know while we were both wasted that she used to see me as quite intimidating before she got to know me because I didn't say much and was so 'pretty'. This made me quite sad as I get the feeling I must project this image of being stuck up or something when I am not.

I feel as though if I were average looking I would have more friends because girls either have that weird bitchy thing where they hate other girls who are pretty (even though they are gorgeous themselves) or they see me as cold/un interested and as though I think I'm better than them or something.

How can I stop projecting this image? I'm not arrogant or stuck up, I'm just quiet, but I do want to get to know people! :frown:

I'm sure I will get some abuse for calling myself attractive because having decent self esteem clearly means I am a cocky bitch who thinks she is god's gift.. :dry: oh well

Anyway thanks in advance to helpful answers.

Make male friends. They won't be threatened by you. And live you life, don't give a **** about people's worthless opinions.
Reply 53
Original post by Kimoraaa
I really don't get the whole 'I'm too pretty to make friends' thing :s-smilie: and I HATE GIRLS WHO SAY 'girls are too bitchy for me to make friends with' ¬_¬

Surely it's your personality, in my college the prettiest girls had the most friends thats generally how it is around me, pretty people are more popular.

NOONE is so drop dead gorgeous that it prevents them making friends :/ go on the prettiests girls from
my colleges facebooks they're the one's with the most active social lives and going out every weekend with their friends. If so supermodels and attractive people would not have freinds!!!

I don't get how some girls find it so hard to make female friends also, can someone explain that to me ? It's not hard.

I make female friends everywhere I go, school, work, parties events.

I have found when I look prettier I attract MORE GIRLS!

Not to toot my own horn but during sixth form I was very popular and have found I have mastered making friends with girls, I'm not joking either, you have to understand your fellow females and know what they like, observe the type of person they are and try and find stuff in common.

Typical girl scenario :

'I love your dress' 'Your make up is so nice' 'Your hair is stunning' then you say 'Thanks so is yours where is ....from?' then she replies, then you say 'you have to show me there' then she says 'have you got twitter / facebook/bbm'. Add her and so it all starts.

Clothes,makeup, hair, music, boys, family all these things have been AMAZING conversation staters for talking to girls.

Seriously. I have made SOO many female friends over the years like this, I have friends in every country that I have visited all over the world by simply doing this. They are lifelong friends too, my friends that I met in the toilet in a New York party, host me every summer in their home and have done so for the past 2 years. They are like my family.

I'm not saying I don't believe you OP but in my life experience the better I look the more girls I attract. The more friendly I am the more people speak to me, the more smiley I am the more people smile with me :smile:

You sound too 'me , me , me' 'I'm too pretty to make friends' I'm so shy' blah blah.

Maybe step out of the box and notice OTHERS rather than you you you .

Girls like people who make them feel special, friends included. I and my friends go out of our way to make the other feel special and loved , this is the key to female friendships, boosting their confidence, supporting them, caring for them, having fun together, being 'real' with them even when it hurts because you care.

Are you showing this to other girls ?

People like happy friendly caring people who will be 'fun' to be around.

I seriously don't think being 'pretty' has anything to do with your failure to make friends, much more to it than that

¬_¬

Hmm you didn't understand me quite right. I wasn't saying 'Oh gosh I am just so pretty all the other girls are jealous of me and don't want to be my friend'

What I am saying is that because I am attractive but also quiet I seem to come across as a snob/stuck up/arrogant.

Personally I find it difficult to make friends with girls because things like "Clothes,makeup, hair, boys etc" are boring to me and I feel fake trying to make a conversation about these things because I don't care all that much. I have complimented girls on their clothes etc but again I feel fake saying it unless I really mean it and generally it will only occur to me to compliment them if something about them is really cool, otherwise I am not interested in their clothes/make up.

I'm not 'me me me' at all, I'm a good listener and tbh don't like talking about myself.

Thanks for replying though, some of it was helpful.
Reply 54
Hmm you didn't understand me quite right. I wasn't saying 'Oh gosh I am just so pretty all the other girls are jealous of me and don't want to be my friend'

What I am saying is that because I am attractive but also quiet I seem to come across as a snob/stuck up/arrogant.

Personally I find it difficult to make friends with girls because things like "Clothes,makeup, hair, boys etc" are boring to me and I feel fake trying to make a conversation about these things because I don't care all that much. I have complimented girls on their clothes etc but again I feel fake saying it unless I really mean it and generally it will only occur to me to compliment them if something about them is really cool, otherwise I am not interested in their clothes/make up.

I'm not 'me me me' at all, I'm a good listener and tbh don't like talking about myself.

Thanks for replying though, some of it was helpful.

Well those are the things girls like, lol, the majority of us.

Can you tell me what you do enjoy talking about ? :redface:

Maybe you are one of those girls who are more suited to male friends?
Original post by Phonicsdude
I used to have similar problems. Sometimes people would act all shy around me, especially girls. Or guys would get super passive aggressive. I know how you feel. Best advice I can give is to do things you love so that you give off positive vibes and you'll meet people that way.

You're not arrogant. You're a cocky bitch who thinks she's god's gift. I like that.

Good advice, respect (is there a fist bump smiley?) :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Kimoraaa
Well those are the things girls like, lol, the majority of us.

Can you tell me what you do enjoy talking about ? :redface:

Maybe you are one of those girls who are more suited to male friends?

Hmm movies/tv shows/things in the news/internet stuff/bit of gossip/travel etc I dunno, anything really. Just can't engage when girls start talking about this certain top they saw or this new nail varnish they bought. I mean I can be like yeah, that's nice, cool. But it's not really very interesting to me or conversation worthy.
Reply 57
I just wondered if anyone else is in a similar position as me.

I've never been one of the popular girls and I didn't become 'attractive' (in my opinion) until I was about 16/17. I've always had friends but these days they are few and far between apart from a couple of really good friends that I have had since I was about 13.

I find it hard to make friends. I'm quite quiet, not really shy just don't talk that much. I find I get along a lot easier with guys than girls, though I would quite like some female friends. Problem is, most of the girls I know are either very bitchy and extremely concerned about self-image etc or they just don't want to know me. I've been told by one girl who I got to know while we were both wasted that she used to see me as quite intimidating before she got to know me because I didn't say much and was so 'pretty'. This made me quite sad as I get the feeling I must project this image of being stuck up or something when I am not.

I feel as though if I were average looking I would have more friends because girls either have that weird bitchy thing where they hate other girls who are pretty (even though they are gorgeous themselves) or they see me as cold/un interested and as though I think I'm better than them or something.

How can I stop projecting this image? I'm not arrogant or stuck up, I'm just quiet, but I do want to get to know people! :frown:

I'm sure I will get some abuse for calling myself attractive because having decent self esteem clearly means I am a cocky bitch who thinks she is god's gift.. :dry: oh well

Anyway thanks in advance to helpful answers.

Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of 'Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you stands for prayer and there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle that covers him and in case there is not before him (a thing) equal to the back of the saddle, his prayer would be cut off by (passing of an) ass, woman, and black Dog. I said: O Abu Dharr, what feature is there in a black dog which distinguish it from the red dog and the yellow dog? He said: O, son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as you are asking me, and he said: The black dog is a devil.
Sahih Muslim 4:1032

[Qur'an 9:61] "Gabriel came to Muhammad and said, 'If a black man comes to you, his heart is more gross than a donkey's.'"
Reply 58
You sound just like two of my closest friends! They are both incredibly beautiful, but they are fairly quiet (as you say, not shy, just quiet) and they seem to have many more friends who are boys than girls. I sometimes hear other girls make cruel, unfounded comments about them. I, of course, defend them, because they are wonderful people. But when I think back to when I did first encounter them, I thought that they both did not want to be friends with me, because they did not really talk to me. When I was in a situation in which I was alone with them, I realized what wonderful people they were. It was by chance that we became so close. I am sad now thinking about how close I came to never really getting to know them.

My best advice is talk to people if you want them to like you for who you are and not judge you based on appearances. Be the person to go up to others and talk. Ask questions about others, reach out. I know that it can be uncomfortable, but if you want to get to know others, and want them to know/like you, then sometimes you have to be the one to take the risk of the first move. People are obviously intimidated by you, so they might not talk to you first, but if you break the ice, even with just a nice comment or a joke, then it will open the flood gates.

If you like yourself as you are, quiet, then my advice is not to worry about what others think and let those who get to know you be lucky that they are befriending such a great person. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I find I get along a lot easier with guys than girls.

This always sets off alarm bells. A really hot girl gets on better with guys. Who'd have thought that would happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending