The Student Room Group

Official 'Gappies' Thread for 2011-2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cwd12
Hi, what are you planning on doing in your gap year? Im basically in the same situation as you. No real cons and lots of pros so im happy with a gap year but want to do something constructive. Ive got some ideas but was hoping for some inspiration in this thread but it seems to be everyone asking about advice and reassurance -_-

September to early January - revise my arse off and go to gym in the evenings. Going to swot it up in the library every day so I can get my last grade done and dusted in the early January exams. That way if I get an offer again (touch wood) I can have it turn unconditional without having to wait for August and all of its stress.

February to summer - mental asylum. :frown:

Just kidding! Got plenty of rough ideas. :biggrin:

- Get loads of cookbooks from the library and start improving my cooking ability. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the time to do so the endless free weeks will turn out be very convenient. Plus, I'd like to eat healthy, delicious in uni accommodation w/o gaining the infamous Fresher's chub so I don't ruin all my previous work at the gym. Win-Win. Nomnomnom. :sexface:

- TOEFL course that I saw on TSR. You can go abroad, teach English, gain a solid certificate to add to your CV and all in a few months! Definitely considering it.

- Learn how to drive and get a license!

- Dust off all the classic novels laying around at home and read them now that I have so much glorious free time.

- Work and save up. Then I can put aside some money for halls deposit and won't have to worry about using my overdraft during Freshers.

- Keep up my French (it's what I'll be doing at uni!) and continue learning Italian which I was making good progress with before.

- Spamming this thread with pictures of my food. :holmes:

I'm really excited tbh. What are you thinking of doing? :smile:

Original post by Milky Milk
Hey!

Haha I loved your reply!
I understand what you mean with regards to the fees, after to reading this thread, I've really come to terms with it not being that bad at all! Lets just hope I'm not earning 90k or I'll have to pay it all back.. :ninja:. Joke :ahee: The only qualms I have regarding it is the fact that I'll always think, 'you had the opportunity to pay half of what you're paying now and you blew it'. I've technically chosen to pay this money, whereas those in the year below have to.

I totally agree in regards to age. My sister started a year later too and she said there is not one bit of difference. That doesn't even deserve to be on the cons list anymore :tongue:

I'm definately going to keep track of this thread, I hope to see all the re-applicants getting in for 2012. I won't make the mistake I did this year and be on TSR when I should be revising :emo:, I definately will not be.

Me too! First thing in the morning when the realisation dawns on me (AGAIN) and I think to myself: "Aaagh...£9,000 a year is a lot of money. What have I done? :cry2:" but then I remember that what is done is mother****ing done! No point worrying about it because we can't do anything other than make the best of our current situation. I reckon it's just the novelty of it and it'll wear off in a few weeks or months time when we get our offers (hopefully) and acclimatise fully to the concept of watching Jeremy Kyle day in day out. :zomg:

Ha yeah, revision and hard work is definitely a priority for me now. Are you retaking exams or have you got other plans for this year?
Reply 41
Original post by salty_candy
Same here :tongue:
Well, that and working. Once resits are over hopefully get some travelling in. Got an interview for a job at maccy ds on monday (oh dear lord, this is what my life has become) and hopefully (ish) they'll hire me and I can save up some money and whatever

That's the problem with resitting my college year, limits my ability to go travelling. Just resits and work for me haha. Good luck with your job interview. :smile:
Anyone going somewhere really cool? Like taking your backpack (or suitcase) and traveling around with a miniscule budget?
This thread really cheered me up :smile:
My head of year was really awful about me going on a gap year so I was beginning to doubt that I had made the right decision. Now I'm sure it's the right thing to do :smile:

The only things I'm worried about are my personal statement and getting a reference from that same head of year who was so damn rude!!
Original post by taylorg292
Just wondering if there are many of us out there? Everyone seems desperate to avoid the fee hike.

Im just getting off my gap year and going to uni this year. The fee hike is insane.. it would be wise to save yourself triple the student loan and just take your gapyear when you finish uni. Im glad i timed it like i did!
Original post by Limesasquatch
Anyone going somewhere really cool? Like taking your backpack (or suitcase) and traveling around with a miniscule budget?

I just lived in Los Angeles for a year working for a volunteer organisation in downtown. They help out homeless people and drug addicts and stuff. Was amazinggg. I worked in marketing as their photographer and i did graphic design and personal assistant stuff. Theres more about it on my blog :smile: http://charli-rose.com
Original post by Strüberry
September to early January - revise my arse off and go to gym in the evenings. Going to swot it up in the library every day so I can get my last grade done and dusted in the early January exams. That way if I get an offer again (touch wood) I can have it turn unconditional without having to wait for August and all of its stress.

- Get loads of cookbooks from the library and start improving my cooking ability. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the time to do so the endless free weeks will turn out be very convenient. Plus, I'd like to eat healthy, delicious in uni accommodation w/o gaining the infamous Fresher's chub so I don't ruin all my previous work at the gym. Win-Win. Nomnomnom. :sexface:

- TOEFL course that I saw on TSR. You can go abroad, teach English, gain a solid certificate to add to your CV and all in a few months! Definitely considering it.

- Dust off all the classic novels laying around at home and read them now that I have so much glorious free time.

- Work and save up. Then I can put aside some money for halls deposit and won't have to worry about using my overdraft during Freshers.

- Keep up my French (it's what I'll be doing at uni!) and continue learning Italian which I was making good progress with before.

Me too! First thing in the morning when the realisation dawns on me (AGAIN) and I think to myself: "Aaagh...£9,000 a year is a lot of money. What have I done? :cry2:" but then I remember that what is done is mother****ing done! No point worrying about it because we can't do anything other than make the best of our current situation. I reckon it's just the novelty of it and it'll wear off in a few weeks or months time when we get our offers (hopefully) and acclimatise fully to the concept of watching Jeremy Kyle day in day out. :zomg:

Ha yeah, revision and hard work is definitely a priority for me now. Are you retaking exams or have you got other plans for this year?

your're soo organised :love:
Reply 47

From now to Jan, Apply to uni, revise for retakes, pass my theory and start driving lessons, and try and get some work (preferably decent enough pay) in an accountancy firm and get to saving. And keep training and going gym ofc.

From Jan onwards, try pass my driving test, look into travelling of some sort (assuming my results are good enough). Like you I want to have unconditional offers when I get the march results to save stress. And yeah hopefully go travelling eventually. Also you've inspired me to consider attempting to learn a language but I dont know if I would be any good at actually learning at a decent pace..

Also like the sound of that tsr english teaching thing. Got a link for that?
Reply 48

I like the sound of it. Just doesnt seem realistic when I think about it for some reason. Proabably because Ive got more important things to think about for now like ucas application and retakes :/

Are you considering it?
Reply 49
I'm gonna study from asap this time. I left studying late last year and got distracted by thing. I plan to do maybe 4/5 hours everyday and not going out at the weekend and just studying. I'll sleep earlier too. I really hope I stick to this plan.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cwd12
I like the sound of it. Just doesnt seem realistic when I think about it for some reason. Proabably because Ive got more important things to think about for now like ucas application and retakes :/

Are you considering it?

Yes definately! I'm going to (or i plan to) work for around 6 months and then travel for another 6 months. I'm thinking a road trip around Australia, backpack around Europe or do this dragoman trip from Cairo to Cape Town. Whether I actually go through with one of these trips is another thing... :biggrin:
Reply 51
Yes definately! I'm going to (or i plan to) work for around 6 months and then travel for another 6 months. I'm thinking a road trip around Australia, backpack around Europe or do this dragoman trip from Cairo to Cape Town. Whether I actually go through with one of these trips is another thing... :biggrin:

Do you have friends to go with or planning it alone? I would def prefer to go with people but my friends just wouldnt be into that kind of thing, although they might be up for back packing through europe as its a bit closer to home
Original post by cwd12
From now to Jan, Apply to uni, revise for retakes, pass my theory and start driving lessons, and try and get some work (preferably decent enough pay) in an accountancy firm and get to saving. And keep training and going gym ofc.

From Jan onwards, try pass my driving test, look into travelling of some sort (assuming my results are good enough). Like you I want to have unconditional offers when I get the march results to save stress. And yeah hopefully go travelling eventually. Also you've inspired me to consider attempting to learn a language but I dont know if I would be any good at actually learning at a decent pace..

Also like the sound of that tsr english teaching thing. Got a link for that?

Haha, nice. That's not very far removed from my plans! I could help you with the language thing btw. I used to tutor French and Spanish in my spare time to GCSE-people. :smile:

I've been searching for that link for the last 30 mins now argh. I typed in "TOEFL" into the search function but it's not showing there or on the main forum. All I know is that there was a thread in this general vicinity and there is an official representative (with lime green username) from that company on TSR. I'll report back when I find it for you, sorry! :colondollar:

Original post by *Thedreaming*
your're soo organised :love:

Thank you! :love:

(No really? Would I be here if I was organised?! :frown:)
Hahaha definately!

Well like you, I'm gonna study like crazy until results. I'm a little confused as I think I'll be resitting an AS module and that can be done for January and I can go into the AS classes. However the A2 module resit would be in January and therefore I wouldn't get any help as the classes are in the second half of the year. I don't think I want to rush it, but I'd just love to have an unconditional after March :moon:

I'm actually looking forward to studying hard... :happy2: :ninja:

If things are done before March and I get unconditionals or conditionals I'm certain I'll obtain. Then I'll literally be doing what you're doing! Travel, Cooking, Working and saving up, Getting my license, Buying clothes..., Raiding IKEA :daydreaming:, Keeping up with French and advancing in Swedish. I can't wait :ahee:

I'm so excited aaaah! I went WHSmith earlier today to get some stationary shopping for my revision sessions and I went absolutely ape**** in the flashcards and highlighter aisle. Highlight of my day if you will. :ahee:

That was bad I know. Don't judge me. :emo:

The good thing about reapplying is that I know exactly how I seduced the admissions tutor last year and I can also finally abridge all those cringy mistakes I made in my PS that I was itching to correct! Because before I didn't have the blindest clue as to what I was doing and I somehow got all five offers from good unis with admittedly crappy grades so this time I'm a bit of a mini expert. I've been stalking my departments website for long enough this summer to be a professor myself by now tbh. :colondollar:

What subject(s) are you resitting?

Here's my introduction:

Why are you resitting the year:
Because I'm dumb.
What course are you applying for:
French with History
What universities do you have in mind:
KCL, Durham and QMUL.
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off:

- Get my license, keep up Italian, do some shopping, some saving etc. Standard fare!

- Get sexy (correction: sexier :sexface:)
Original post by cwd12
Do you have friends to go with or planning it alone? I would def prefer to go with people but my friends just wouldnt be into that kind of thing, although they might be up for back packing through europe as its a bit closer to home

I'd much rather have a friend or two. I think best would be to have a girl and a guy with you, so its cool but not awkward lol.
Literally all of my friends are going to Uni this year, so there's no one to choose from. At least there will never be a conflict of interests, and who knows maybe ill find some people along my travels who are into what i'm doing!!
Reply 55
Cool! where are you going? And how long are you going for?

Oh, and how are you travelling? So many questions to ask!!!

Haha, its ok. I'm leaving mid-October, after a whole summer of work :wink: 7,5 months later I'll be boarding a plane homebound. I'm starting in Singapore, and will end in Tokyo. How I get there, is entirely unplanned, but will probably involve a whole string of trains, busses and bicycles :wink: No flying - the only flight I'm taking besides to & from Asia is one from Beijing to Japan.

Just one and a half more months of waiting...

What about you? Any plans yet?

Oh, and

I think everyone should 'introduce' themselves in the thread!

Why are you resitting the year: i'm not...
What course are you applying for: Japanese, preferably with history of art or international business management
What universities do you have in mind: SOAS, Edinburgh, Sheffield as a last resort
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: TRAVEL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Charlieface
I just lived in Los Angeles for a year working for a volunteer organisation in downtown. They help out homeless people and drug addicts and stuff. Was amazinggg.

That sounds really good :smile: , have you got a link for the organization? I only found out I need to do a gap year, and I want to do something worthwhile.

EDIT:
I think everyone should 'introduce' themselves in the thread!

Why are you resitting the year:
What course are you applying for:
What universities do you have in mind:
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off:

+ Resitting M1, missed my A in maths by 5 UMS. :colonhash:
+ Applying to chemistry ofc :ahee:
+ IC, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Manchester or QM
+ Hopefully, VS work and Lab Tech work
(edited 12 years ago)

Thank you! :love:

(No really? Would I be here if I was organised?! :frown:)

you are..you have your whole year planned out

me however...:ashamed:
Reply 58
Original post by soph_surfs

Original post by soph_surfs
In an ideal world I'd LOVE to travel around SE Asia - Laos, Cambodia, Thailand & Vietnam. Also would love to see Australia and a friend in NZ.
But I'm going to only just turn 18 so im thinking of doing a placement with a volunteer organisation called lattitude (google em' - looks good) perhaps in Fiji or Vanuatu. This will work out cheaper and keep my parents minds at rest as I wouldn't be travelling entirely on my own, then in 2012 I will start uni and then inbetween years you have alot of holiday in which i can travel to SE Asia :biggrin:

I'm going with them to vanuatu in january before starting uea in 2012...so excited!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
am i the only one not going travelling?

i've got a 20 hour a week job in m&s and im building a film portfolio and just doing some volunteering things really.

anyone else finding it extremely depressing seeing all their friends leaving for uni?

Quick Reply

Latest