The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography or radiotherapy applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by razzmatazz rach
Just thought I would let you all know that I didn't get in this year.

I'm very sorry to hear that... especially as it's the Uni's fault! Unfortunately, I'm sure there's many others that are in the same boat as you. The uni may get a slap on the wrist, but it means an extra year for you. My heart goes out to you :frown:

So overall I am not happy with what happened but I am not giving up...

I'd be furious too, but it's good to see you're staying positive! I hope things turn out better soon. And don't forget the old saying: 'If at first you don't succeed: try, try, try again... then start hitting someone!'

I wish you well
Original post by yaschaeffer
I'm very sorry to hear that... especially as it's the Uni's fault! Unfortunately, I'm sure there's many others that are in the same boat as you. The uni may get a slap on the wrist, but it means an extra year for you. My heart goes out to you :frown:

I'd be furious too, but it's good to see you're staying positive! I hope things turn out better soon. And don't forget the old saying: 'If at first you don't succeed: try, try, try again... then start hitting someone!'

I wish you well

Well this will be my 4 year of 6th form/college so it is a bit disheartening. I have just done an extra year and I feel it would be stupid to give up now since it would make last year would be a waste of time.

It shouldn't be too bad as I have recently got a job so I can save some money up, I can carry on driving lessons and pass my test and I can do more volunteer work.
I also plan on joining the gym and going to kick boxing :smile: I have enough to keep me busy all year so it should hopefully go pretty quick.

I am shocked at some of the entry requirements for 2012 entry. The average is now BBB/BBC which I wasn't expecting since it was around CCC or BCC for 2011 entry.
Reply 2482
Well this will be my 4 year of 6th form/college so it is a bit disheartening. I have just done an extra year and I feel it would be stupid to give up now since it would make last year would be a waste of time.

It shouldn't be too bad as I have recently got a job so I can save some money up, I can carry on driving lessons and pass my test and I can do more volunteer work.
I also plan on joining the gym and going to kick boxing :smile: I have enough to keep me busy all year so it should hopefully go pretty quick.

I am shocked at some of the entry requirements for 2012 entry. The average is now BBB/BBC which I wasn't expecting since it was around CCC or BCC for 2011 entry.

My offer for 2008 entry was CC lol... problem is, they up the requirements for school-leavers, but mature students stay the same. The same group of students can have such a huge variation in academic ability it's unreal.

So sorry to hear you didn't get in in the end. At least you're still young. Getting your driving test out the way now will make things so much easier when you start uni/placement and then go looking for jobs afterwards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2483
BCU hav really thrown a curved ball at me. Got a phone call out the blue saying as I already hav a degree they will accept me for this year... I hav no idea what to do!! I was guna apply next year so that I can save enuff from my current job to not hav to work at all during, if I go this year I'll deck be strapped for cash... Life was so simple before the Phone call. What wud any of u do? Derby is my 1st choice with BCU and Salford at joint 2nd hmmm!
Reply 2484

Appeal and Complaint.
BCC with a B in biology, some are asking for ABB/BBB. I have found 5 uni's that would accept a C in biology but I only really like 2 of them.

RACH PLEASE READ!!!

1st off pardon my french but this is bull**** Jay theyve done to u.
2ndly if u really wana do it this year and don't mind going BCU then ring them an ask for Charlotte bernside. She just rang me saying she has 2 places left for this year but doesnt want to lower the grade boundaries. I never asked what they were, im
Sure u wud hav a better idea. U never knw Rach, she may just take u, worth a shot but u gotta be quick. If she is not available then ask for mark holland. Please keep us informed as to what happens!
I agree with MiteshG, just ring round explain your situation and beg for a place :biggrin: Worst thing that can happen is you don't get one and they ask you to apply next year, but you could be offered a place... :goodluck:
Original post by MiteshG
BCU hav really thrown a curved ball at me. Got a phone call out the blue saying as I already hav a degree they will accept me for this year... I hav no idea what to do!! I was guna apply next year so that I can save enuff from my current job to not hav to work at all during, if I go this year I'll deck be strapped for cash... Life was so simple before the Phone call. What wud any of u do? Derby is my 1st choice with BCU and Salford at joint 2nd hmmm!

I would take it. As you can see there are people scrambling to get onto the courses and if you wait a year there is no guarantee you will be offered a place. You've got an offer now so what have you got to lose by taking them up on it? Well done! Go for it. When do u have to let them know by?

I'm so sorry to hear that! It seems to be a lot of bull to me, if they weren't accepting the Double AS they should have made that very clear in the offer. :mad: I'm under the impression that they've already filled all of their spaces of the course and by accepting you with your 'improved' grade it oversubscribes their places - which they get fined for, and so they're trying to cover their backs.

That is of course my own speculation but it might, in some way, help towards your appeal. Good luck!
Original post by MiteshG

Take it!

I'd not be surprised if next year graduates won't be funded anymore so you could be worse off and kicking yourself!

There are usually support packages, and if things are desperate you could consider a career development loan from your bank (not ideal but it might help get you though, as long as employment rates for graduate radiographers remain how they are you'd be ok)

dreaminchicken - thats really crappy :frown: hope you get somthing sorted! you are going about it the right way though, keep at it!
Reply 2489
Original post by misterzed
Take it!

I'd not be surprised if next year graduates won't be funded anymore so you could be worse off and kicking yourself!

There are usually support packages, and if things are desperate you could consider a career development loan from your bank (not ideal but it might help get you though, as long as employment rates for graduate radiographers remain how they are you'd be ok)

dreaminchicken - thats really crappy :frown: hope you get somthing sorted! you are going about it the right way though, keep at it!

Well, ur not guna believe it but the support package for next year onwards is better then ever! All fees paid, higher level of bursary available and u get a £1000 grant! Even grad entry medics and dentist hav scored coz they normally they hav to pay 1st yea fees but that's been scrapped now. I read it on NHS website for 2012/13 an couldnt believe my eyes so I rang n they gav me a proper breakdown of all the funds. Who wud have thought hey lol
Does anyone know the process of receiving funds for 2nd accommodation? I told my university I'd be needing accommodation near the hospital as well as the one I'm already paying for at the university, and she gave me details of someone to talk to at my placement hospital. So I sent them an e-mail and they don't know either :s-smilie: saying that they themselves do not deal with placement accommodation. Does it come out of our bursary? Because I've already sent off for that and wasn't aware I'd be needing a 2nd place to live throughout the year.

I think you mean razmatazz rach?
Reply 2492
Original post by dreaminchicken
I would take it. As you can see there are people scrambling to get onto the courses and if you wait a year there is no guarantee you will be offered a place. You've got an offer now so what have you got to lose by taking them up on it? Well done! Go for it. When do u have to let them know by?

Hmmm. I totally agree with everything u said but still feel reserved. Coz if bcu which is defo One the popular choice is saying they will take me based on my degree coz they hav not had enuff applicants with the grades (despite 9 to 1 competition) then I'm confident I will get a place next year. Plus. Really wana go derby so I can commute. Other major factor is finance. I don't wana b a financial burden on my parents, I've got a well paid job so if I work a whole year I won't hav to work for te next 3 at uni an focus purly on the course. As im writing this I've convinced myself next year wud be better lol. Ur right tho in saying what if.. Suppose I'll just hav to live with the decision if it goes belly up but on paper I think my chances r very strong. Wish me luck an keep ur fingers crossed for me tho! Lol
Reply 2493

That's wot I thought, unless he knows something u dont lol
Original post by MiteshG
Well, ur not guna believe it but the support package for next year onwards is better then ever! All fees paid, higher level of bursary available and u get a £1000 grant! Even grad entry medics and dentist hav scored coz they normally they hav to pay 1st yea fees but that's been scrapped now. I read it on NHS website for 2012/13 an couldnt believe my eyes so I rang n they gav me a proper breakdown of all the funds. Who wud have thought hey lol

Wow! :eek: i wonder if the increase in bursary applies to all students (i.e. us lot for next year)
If they are pushing like that to get more people in then that bodes well for job availability at the end of the course as well.

I did, oops! :colondollar: its been a long day.. sorry razmatazz rach..
Reply 2495
Original post by The Egg Militia
Does anyone know the process of receiving funds for 2nd accommodation? I told my university I'd be needing accommodation near the hospital as well as the one I'm already paying for at the university, and she gave me details of someone to talk to at my placement hospital. So I sent them an e-mail and they don't know either :s-smilie: saying that they themselves do not deal with placement accommodation. Does it come out of our bursary? Because I've already sent off for that and wasn't aware I'd be needing a 2nd place to live throughout the year.

Can u not commute? The admissions tutor at bcu told me today that the NHS with retrospectively increase ur bursary (so basically reimburse u) for travel cost but u gotta fork out the cash urself. I'm surprised ur uni has allcoated u a hospital which is so out of reach for u that u need to live there. From wot I've gather they expect students to just commute..
Original post by MiteshG
Hmmm. I totally agree with everything u said but still feel reserved. Coz if bcu which is defo One the popular choice is saying they will take me based on my degree coz they hav not had enuff applicants with the grades (despite 9 to 1 competition) then I'm confident I will get a place next year. Plus. Really wana go derby so I can commute. Other major factor is finance. I don't wana b a financial burden on my parents, I've got a well paid job so if I work a whole year I won't hav to work for te next 3 at uni an focus purly on the course. As im writing this I've convinced myself next year wud be better lol. Ur right tho in saying what if.. Suppose I'll just hav to live with the decision if it goes belly up but on paper I think my chances r very strong. Wish me luck an keep ur fingers crossed for me tho! Lol

Ok well fingers crossed for next year then :smile: I think BCU have a large intake (over 100) compared to others so maybe that's why they still have places. Sounds like you have a plan anyway so i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 2497
Wow! :eek: i wonder if the increase in bursary applies to all students (i.e. us lot for next year)
If they are pushing like that to get more people in then that bodes well for job availability at the end of the course as well.

I did, oops! :colondollar: its been a long day.. sorry razmatazz rach..

Sorry geezer but ur funding remains the same as u wud be 2011 start, it states that on their website, unfortunately. Ur right about jobs prospects, du o if u been following the news but NHS waiting list for things like MRI and other scans is a big thing which the government wants to bring down. Also this applied to all students doing healthcare degrees. Coz government is cutting down on immigration the NHS has to find homegrown talent, which let's face it, none of us are guna complain about lol.
Original post by MiteshG
Can u not commute? The admissions tutor at bcu told me today that the NHS with retrospectively increase ur bursary (so basically reimburse u) for travel cost but u gotta fork out the cash urself. I'm surprised ur uni has allcoated u a hospital which is so out of reach for u that u need to live there. From wot I've gather they expect students to just commute..

There's a form on the bursaries page that is used for filling in claims for 2nd accommodation and travel expenses. Both will obviously have to be justified.
Reply 2499
Ok well fingers crossed for next year then :smile: I think BCU have a large intake (over 100) compared to others so maybe that's why they still have places. Sounds like you have a plan anyway so i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Yea I think there's mite even be the biggest, she says it varies between 118 to 154. I wish I did not have to wait a year, only if I had thought about this last year but se la ve. I think all the unis hav got together n decided to push their grades up at once coz of the sheer number they r getting, I can't only count my blessings my a levels from 10 years ago r good enuff. I still can't believe how low the entry requirements hav been especially if u consider A level results going higher n higher every year..

Quick Reply

Latest