The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/Studies Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm planning to apply for Japanese Studies and/or Korean Studies in SOAS, but I didn't do well in my AS (got 3 Ds) so I don't think I stand a chance. They're asking for AAB or AAA.
I have no knowledge of either language whatsoever, and even my Chinese isn't so good.
Reply 21
Original post by Jessicutie
I'm planning to apply for Japanese Studies and/or Korean Studies in SOAS, but I didn't do well in my AS (got 3 Ds) so I don't think I stand a chance. They're asking for AAB or AAA.
I have no knowledge of either language whatsoever, and even my Chinese isn't so good.

I think most Japanese/Korean courses don't ask that you have any previous knowledge of the language. I'm sure you start from basics, but it wouldn't hurt to just learn the alphabet or the very basics in preparation. :-)
Ooh, I didn't know this thread was up! :biggrin:
I'm looking at Spanish and Japanese.. the idea of actually doing it is daunting but really really exciting.~

Looking at Newcastle,Leeds,Sheffield,Birmingham and Manchester. (Maybe Leicester or Cardiff, I need to go looking at them all,really.)
Reply 23
I'm applying for Japanese language and management at Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff and pure Japanese at SOAS :smile:

Well technically reapplying because clearing didn't work out for me this year :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by Rei_Rei
How did everyone do in their AS? Fortunately my sixth form allowed me to take the exam even though I'm self-taught, I'm still in shock that I didn't completely fail it!

You're self-taught??? :redface: That's amazing!!! I found the exam quite difficult but I still got an A ^^ - I'm the only one in my school doing Jap. A-level too, but I had to find a teacher for it DX
Reply 25
Original post by myka551
You're self-taught??? :redface: That's amazing!!! I found the exam quite difficult but I still got an A ^^ - I'm the only one in my school doing Jap. A-level too, but I had to find a teacher for it DX

Congrats! :smile:
Gosh, I found it quite difficult too! I pretty much resigned myself to getting a D but somehow managed to blag an A. The most difficult thing about self-studying is the lack of resources/information for the A level exam but fortunately I've found some people who did it last year to help me ><.

Have you started reading any of the A2 texts yet? Good luck with your studies~ ^^
Reply 26
I've been waiting for this thread to pop up...

Anyway, I'm applying for IBM with Japanese, as well as Japanese & History of Art at SOAS, single Japanese/ Japanese & Linguistics at Edinburgh and single Japanese at Sheffield.
I'm scared to death that I'll get rejected this year as well... (applied to SOAS for deferred entry last year, used up all my five choices for any possible combination with Japanese and got rejected 4x and got one offer for just History of Art... That was bad. And unwise on my behalf, but anyway)
Reply 27
So do most people here have a GCSE or A-Level in Japanese? I've taught myself to read both kana but I really don't know much more than that...
Reply 28
Original post by casmn
So do most people here have a GCSE or A-Level in Japanese? I've taught myself to read both kana but I really don't know much more than that...

I do and I know some others who have/are planning to apply that also have a background in Japanese but the vast majority of people don't. Since almost all courses are ab initio I wouldn't worry about forcing yourself to learn a lot of Japanese at this point, you just have to prove that you're keen on learning and you have some knowledge about the structure of the language (i.e. what the syllabries are used for, honourifics, etc). Learning the kana is a good start but it's more important to focus on getting the grades you need in other subjects :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Rei_Rei
I do and I know some others who have/are planning to apply that also have a background in Japanese but the vast majority of people don't. Since almost all courses are ab initio I wouldn't worry about forcing yourself to learn a lot of Japanese at this point, you just have to prove that you're keen on learning and you have some knowledge about the structure of the language (i.e. what the syllabries are used for, honourifics, etc). Learning the kana is a good start but it's more important to focus on getting the grades you need in other subjects :smile:

Oh ok, that's re-assuring, thanks :smile:
Hi i'll be applying for Japanese Studies at Sheffield and Manchester for 2012 entry. :smile:
I have no previous knowledge of Japanese unlike most of you on this thread but i have learnt the both kana syllabaries and i am trying to learn some basic grammar points.

I was just wondering though when writing your personal statement do you just write about parts of the subject that interest you and how you came to become interested in the subject? Also, in terms of writing about your a levels do you just talk about what general skills your a level subjects have given you seen as i have never done Japanese before?

Thanks for any help you can give. :smile:
I don't have any previous knowledge either, don't worry. ^^ Well done on learning kana! I'm still struggling through, I can recognise the vast majority of hiragana now but I want to work on writing it before I start katakana.

I'm just writing about what made me interested in it, and if I've done anything else to improve my knowledge of Japan and/or Japanese- for example, this weekend I'm crewing at a convention with lots of stuff about J-culture, taking part in a kimono workshop, and stuff like that. Just to prove you're not doing it for the hell of it,really.
Original post by VickyDoodle
I don't have any previous knowledge either, don't worry. ^^ Well done on learning kana! I'm still struggling through, I can recognise the vast majority of hiragana now but I want to work on writing it before I start katakana.

I'm just writing about what made me interested in it, and if I've done anything else to improve my knowledge of Japan and/or Japanese- for example, this weekend I'm crewing at a convention with lots of stuff about J-culture, taking part in a kimono workshop, and stuff like that. Just to prove you're not doing it for the hell of it,really.

Thank You for the reply i know how to read them but when writing them my handwriting is terrible. :tongue:
I'm glad there's other people with no prior knowledge too. :smile:
If you don't mind me asking where are you planning on applying? Sorry just saw your previous post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MyNeighbourTotoro
Thank You for the reply i know how to read them but when writing them my handwriting is terrible. :tongue:
I'm glad there's other people with no prior knowledge too. :smile:
If you don't mind me asking where are you planning on applying? Sorry just saw your previous post.

I can write my 'favourite' ones, but not them all yet. x3

Hah, it's all good! Only one I know for sure is Newcastle. What about you?
Though wow, I found UCLAN's course the other day.. Spanish and Japanese with TESOL for only 200pts- insurance for sure!
I can write my 'favourite' ones, but not them all yet. x3

Hah, it's all good! Only one I know for sure is Newcastle. What about you?
Though wow, I found UCLAN's course the other day.. Spanish and Japanese with TESOL for only 200pts- insurance for sure!

I'm mainly looking at Sheffield University as on the open day the atmosphere was really friendly and the lecturer seemed nice and helpful. Also it's not too far away from where i live but far enough to move out. :colondollar:
Original post by MyNeighbourTotoro
I'm mainly looking at Sheffield University as on the open day the atmosphere was really friendly and the lecturer seemed nice and helpful. Also it's not too far away from where i live but far enough to move out. :colondollar:

Ooh, I'm looking at Sheffield! Haven't been there yet though, but you make it sound really good :biggrin:
Hey, i'm a complete newbie to TSR, was just wondering where everyone who are studying/have studied Japanese at A-level found the opportunity to do so. I've studied the subject at GCSE and also done a year of AB initio.

P.S. i'm applying to SOAS, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, University of Central Lancashire and Sheffield for 2012 entry.
I'm not sure whether to apply for Japanese as I'm really worried about getting rejected and end up not getting a place at university . I really want to go to SOAS so bad but got BBC in my AS results. Although I can speak Cantonese, Hakka Chinese and I can write some basic chinese characters as I use to go to Chinese school. I taught myself a lot about Japanese language and culture through research and reading up on it but not sure if I will get in but my back up plan is to do Beauty Therapy and Spa Management at London College of Fashion.
So scared that we have to apply so soon! :frown:
Reply 39
So scared that we have to apply so soon! :frown:

Same here. No idea what I'm going to get predicted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending