The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
It's all ****ing common sense.

Main ain't gonna be horny if you're wearing a hijab, he will more horny if you dress like a slut and your boobs are popping out of your turtle neck sweater.

I'm not an expert on the psychology of rape, but the standard story is that paradigmatic rape is not about sexual attraction but about power. If that's the case, whether you're dressed in a revealing way wouldn't matter.

But yeah, I agree with Nun. Some feminists are their own worst enemy, PR wise. So long as the woman isn't blamed for the rape (and I doubt the cops are doing that, seeing as there was all that slutwalk business a few months back. They've probably been well briefed on their language and not attributing blame to the woman) and it's just pointing out behaviour that's associated with a higher risk of rape, there's nothing wrong with it.
I think I agree with Michael in that the poster's words appear to suggest it is targeting the type of rape that begins consensually but then she changes her mind, but the guy keeps "thrusting".

Of course most girls won't change their mind half way through the act unless something really bad happens, in which case the guy will also often change his mind. And any guy in their right minds would soon finish with a girl who did suddenly change her mind half way through the act for no discernible reason.

I think I can see the point of the posters, as the type of rape above is very difficult to convict for because it's often one person's word against the other's.

It doesn't really offend me, even if it is pretty silly.
Reply 1782
If you are an attractive girl or woman, you don't understand how much unwanted male attention they will get every single day, dressed up or down. My sister for instance gets creepy builders shouting, weirdos on the bus trying to strike up conversations, even several times has had a car full of Pakistani phaggots trying to coerce her into getting in their car and all sorts.

We are well adjusted men, but there are plenty of sexually frustrated absolute creeps out there who have sub-85 IQs that probably think rape is just surprise sex.
Original post by FluxD
If you are an attractive girl or woman, you don't understand how much unwanted male attention they will get every single day, dressed up or down. My sister for instance gets creepy builders shouting, weirdos on the bus trying to strike up conversations, even several times has had a car full of Pakistani phaggots trying to coerce her into getting in their car and all sorts.

We are well adjusted men, but there are plenty of sexually frustrated absolute creeps out there who have sub-85 IQs that probably think rape is just surprise sex.

Aye, cat calling and such is just proper scumbag behaviour.
Original post by RawJoh1
I'm not an expert on the psychology of rape, but the standard story is that paradigmatic rape is not about sexual attraction but about power. If that's the case, whether you're dressed in a revealing way wouldn't matter.

I am kind of skeptical of this. All rapists (by legal definition) are men, and rape victims tend to correlate roughly with what men are sexually attracted to. Most are young women, and then there are some victims from other demographics like males, older women, children etc.. This doesn't seem to support the above oft-stated hypothesis. If it were about power then surely more men would get raped because sexual attraction is not requisite. You could argue that men are less easy to overpower, but that would take you down the line of reasoning that more elderly people and children would be targeted. I don't have a complete picture of rape stats, but what I have seen generally looks like it supports the rather intuitive idea that most forced sex cases have at least some level of sexual component in the motive. I'm sure a few cases are entirely about power irrespective of attraction, but I highly doubt it's the majority. This isn't even offensive, but it does seem to be anathema to some feminists. I don't know why.
Original post by FluxD

Original post by RawJoh1
Aye, cat calling and such is just proper scumbag behaviour.

The point I'm making is is that this advert wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on people trying to coerce a woman into a car. This is a common feature of behaviours represented by power curves. The ones causing the majority of the problem (the "20" in the "80:20") need serious intervention (brainwashing, prison, anti-rape femidoms, waterboarding, death penalty etc. - a poster doesn't and will never cut it) and the 80 don't need any.

As for cat calling and trying to chat girls up on a bus, I don't think it's that terrible aside from making you look like a tool.
Original post by burningnun
I am kind of skeptical of this. All rapists (by legal definition) are men, and rape victims tend to correlate roughly with what men are sexually attracted to. Most are young women, and then there are some victims from other demographics like males, older women, children etc.. This doesn't seem to support the above oft-stated hypothesis. If it were about power then surely more men would get raped because sexual attraction is not requisite. You could argue that men are less easy to overpower, but that would take you down the line of reasoning that more elderly people and children would be targeted. I don't have a complete picture of rape stats, but what I have seen generally looks like it supports the rather intuitive idea that most forced sex cases have at least some level of sexual component in the motive. I'm sure a few cases are entirely about power irrespective of attraction, but I highly doubt it's the majority. This isn't even offensive, but it does seem to be anathema to some feminists. I don't know why.

All good points. If I won the Lotto so didn't have to work for a living, I'd just do loads of degrees so I could study stuff like this.
The point I'm making is is that this advert wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on people trying to coerce a woman into a car. This is a common feature of behaviours represented by power curves. The ones causing the majority of the problem (the "20" in the "80:20") need serious intervention (brainwashing, prison, anti-rape femidoms, waterboarding, death penalty etc. - a poster doesn't and will never cut it) and the 80 don't need any.

As for cat calling and trying to chat girls up on a bus, I don't think it's that terrible aside from making you look like a tool.

Probably cos it's not you it happens to. I'm with FluxD on this, I know girls who get it a few times every single day, and far less rarely than you'd think, it extends from saying dumb **** to following them down the street which takes it from frustrating to genuinely scary for the girl in question.
Reply 1788
By cat calling I'm not talking about, "Good afternoon dear Madame, should I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate!" I am talking about verbal sexual abuse. One time in town some bloke was shouting sexual stuff at my sister then a policeman walked past and over heard and he got arrested for it.

It isn't innocent.
Original post by RawJoh1
All good points. If I won the Lotto so didn't have to work for a living, I'd just do loads of degrees so I could study stuff like this.

I agree. That would be fun.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Probably cos it's not you it happens to. I'm with FluxD on this, I know girls who get it a few times every single day, and far less rarely than you'd think, it extends from saying dumb **** to following them down the street which takes it from frustrating to genuinely scary for the girl in question.

But the genuinely scary bit isn't caused by cat calls, it's caused by following then down the street. The cat calls on their own are frustrating, and I just don't think that's a huge deal. And it happens to me all the time, haven't you seen how handsome I am?
Original post by FluxD
By cat calling I'm not talking about, "Good afternoon dear Madame, should I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate!" I am talking about verbal sexual abuse. One time in town some bloke was shouting sexual stuff at my sister then a policeman walked past and over heard and he got arrested for it.

It isn't innocent.

Yeah and it happens all the time.

Never when I'm there though, surprisingly. I ****ing want them to do it when I'm there.
I agree. That would be fun.

But the genuinely scary bit isn't caused by cat calls, it's caused by following then down the street. The cat calls on their own are frustrating, and I just don't think that's a huge deal. And it happens to me all the time, haven't you seen how handsome I am?

I think it's more than frustrating for the people it happens to. Bad choice of words on my part.

I think, and I have no concrete evidence to back this up other than "stuff I've read", that there are probably a lot more male rape victims than you think. A lot of female rape victims never report it because they are ashamed, and I think that's even worse amongst men. Gang rape is a weapon in some African countries, both against women and men. You just rarely hear about the men even though it is common.
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
I think, and I have no concrete evidence to back this up other than "stuff I've read", that there are probably a lot more male rape victims than you think. A lot of female rape victims never report it because they are ashamed, and I think that's even worse amongst men. Gang rape is a weapon in some African countries, both against women and men. You just rarely hear about the men even though it is common.

Good point.
Reply 1794
Losers who catcall etc are generally scum, most likely chavs. Worst example of putting the pussy on the pedestal.
Reply 1795
Related video

Original post by FluxD

I know that feel... :colondollar:

Not sure how it's weird to strike up conversations on the bus. I think it's quite sad that people can't do that without looking like weirdos. In different societies that's just seen as the norm... a lot more friendly I'd say.

Also, forget "power". Fugly ass 70 year olds don't get raped, decent looking 22 year olds do.

And yes, I thought some guy was trolling when he told me that legally rape is defined by a man raping someone.
texas method or madcows?
Had to save a random guy in the gym today whilst he was benching. I heard an "excuse me mate", turn around on the platform and he's there with the bar on his chest going "Can i have a hand with this?". I hadn't upright row'd in ages and it was 65kg.

Although i have seen more proper lifters in the last 2 weeks in my gym than i did all of last year. Is weird.

Also, fitness needs a new moderator. I jokingly suggested Adonis/Bish/Summersofas but i don't think they will be accepted...
Reply 1799
Original post by FluxD

lol girls can be just as bad mate

Saturday night I was at revs at deansgate and this girl walked up to me and without a word licked my face and then tried to make out with me, I got my arse grabbed a couple of times too, I ain't a piece of meat!

Latest