The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well done! I'm sure the others on here waiting for news would like to know what course and what the offer was.

the course was psychology & philosophy CV85 offer: ABB
In terms of submitting written work, how/when do we do this? Do they tell us when they want it?
Reply 122
Actually, no they don't. It's just coincidence that all of yours have acknowledged you. Some departments within universities don't bother.

Oops. I think I've used the wrong term. What I meant was that all choices receive the application, and are considering it, regardless of whether or not they send an email. I actually thought "to acknowledge" meant "to be aware of something's existence", but according to an online dictionary, I was wrong.

Pardon me for my misunderstanding. :frown:
Got an acknowledgment from UCL today wooo!

Original post by TotalLifeForever
In terms of submitting written work, how/when do we do this? Do they tell us when they want it?

And yes, I am pretty sure you have to wait until the university has told you whether they want you to send any written work in, it wouldn't make sense if we just sent our work in without receiving any notification from the university especially if for whatever reason they didnt want to take our application even that far
Original post by stifa
Oops. I think I've used the wrong term. What I meant was that all choices receive the application, and are considering it, regardless of whether or not they send an email. I actually thought "to acknowledge" meant "to be aware of something's existence", but according to an online dictionary, I was wrong.

Pardon me for my misunderstanding. :frown:

No problem. My Norwegian is pretty poor....
Original post by lydiaahill
the course was psychology & philosophy CV85 offer: ABB

Interesting!
Reply 126
No problem. My Norwegian is pretty poor....

However, you aren't applying to a uni in Norway! :tongue:

I just ran "acknowledge" through an online English-Norwegian dictionary, and it would seem rather outlandish to use that word in this setting, though it seems quite logical.
Original post by stifa
However, you aren't applying to a uni in Norway! :tongue:

I just ran "acknowledge" through an online English-Norwegian dictionary, and it would seem rather outlandish to use that word in this setting, though it seems quite logical.

I think I'd get sent packing pretty quickly if I did! In this context, 'an acknowledgement' would mean some form of communication by letter or email saying that the application had been received and was being looked at. Some universities do send these, but some don't.
Reply 128
I think I'd get sent packing pretty quickly if I did! In this context, 'an acknowledgement' would mean some form of communication by letter or email saying that the application had been received and was being looked at. Some universities do send these, but some don't.

I figured that out myself too. The Norwegian word for "acknowledgement" is a bit more formal; it fits more into a court room or when talking about international relations.

Actually, I didn't get an acknowledgement email from Manchester, but they are the only who has given me an offer yet.
last night... I dreamt of getting an acknowledgement letter from UCL (just shows how desperate I am) and once I woke up, I checked my email and I actually got it!!! hahaha this is magical! my dream comes truuueeeee lol
Original post by stifa
Actually, I didn't get an acknowledgement email from Manchester, but they are the only who has given me an offer yet.

I think I read somewhere on the Manchester applicants thread or something that Manchester does not give out Acknowledgements. congrats on the offer btw! is it conditional? if so I hope you can meet the conditions :biggrin:
Acknowledged from all of the them, Im just scared ive ****ed up my UCL application already.
Original post by astaraeal
Thanks :smile: I submitted it on 27th September and the interview is in two weeks - acknowledgement came straight from Imperial.

Argh I ain't had any acknowledgements from Imperial, or oxford/nottigham for that matter :s-smilie: but had an invitation to a 'UCAS Day' at Bath which apparently includes an informal interview :smile: anybody else got one of these?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bekylouisex3
Argh I ain't had any acknowledgements from Imperial, or oxford/nottigham for that matter :s-smilie: but had an invitation to a 'UCAS Day' at Bath which apparently includes an informal interview :smile: anybody else got one of these?

no acknowledgements from Imperial yet either! people have been acknowledged by Oxford but I haven't either T_T btw did you put ICL instead of UCL on purpose? in your sig
Reply 134

I only got an email about giving them a transcript of my certificate with a deadline at ten days before I sent my application to UCAS. However, I think they meant 14th October instead...

Original post by desy.kris
I think I read somewhere on the Manchester applicants thread or something that Manchester does not give out Acknowledgements. congrats on the offer btw! is it conditional? if so I hope you can meet the conditions :biggrin:

Yes, it is. I only need a 6.0 in IELTS, which doesn't seem too difficult.
Reply 135
:jebus:

Sent it off like an hour ago. WAITING IS DRIVING ME MAD NOW.
checking my email every once in a while is driving me crazy! I can't concentrate on studying for my internal exams, which is next Monday :frown:
Reply 137
UCAS has been sent (an hour ago), can't get in to track yet which I wasn't expecting to be able to so that's fine...
I'm a mature student with a very untraditional background and applying to a very competitive degree at five very competitive universities... I'm going to have to wait for ages, I know it. :frown:
Original post by desy.kris
no acknowledgements from Imperial yet either! people have been acknowledged by Oxford but I haven't either T_T btw did you put ICL instead of UCL on purpose? in your sig

Awesome..can't wait! :smile: Yes I do mean Imperial...*looks at sig* oohh crap! :L I've been meaning to change it but I keep forgetting to. Thanks for reminding me :')
Awesome..can't wait! :smile: Yes I do mean Imperial...*looks at sig* oohh crap! :L I've been meaning to change it but I keep forgetting to. Thanks for reminding me :')

I can't wait either xD ohhh so ICL stood for Imperial College London? haha I had no idea! always thought it was a typo and meant to be UCL! sorrrrryyy for misunderstanding but if that helped then you're welcome :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending