The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths to A-Level Maths and Further Maths.

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and have a strong A* in GCSE Maths. Is this a good indicator of how I will cope with A Level Maths and Further Maths? I'm just curious :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As football managers say "You can only beat who's in front of you" so its hard to tell. A GCSE in maths in relation to further is similar to asking if you can run 10 laps of a track at the same paxce you are curently running 1. Some do, some dont but many students hit a peak in GCSE maths and dont move on, some the other way around.

I personally find its easier to say if you dont have at least a strong A and good understanding of maths at GCSE you (in the main, again from 10 or so cycles of teaching A level maths) are better off not doing A level maths let alone Further.

The main thing is that you enjoy maths. If you do have a go, if you don't do something else.
Original post by BrianBlack
As football managers say "You can only beat who's in front of you" so its hard to tell. A GCSE in maths in relation to further is similar to asking if you can run 10 laps of a track at the same paxce you are curently running 1. Some do, some dont but many students hit a peak in GCSE maths and dont move on, some the other way around.

I personally find its easier to say if you dont have at least a strong A and good understanding of maths at GCSE you (in the main, again from 10 or so cycles of teaching A level maths) are better off not doing A level maths let alone Further.

The main thing is that you enjoy maths. If you do have a go, if you don't do something else.

Well I'm completely understanding GCSE Maths at the moment, and not finding it much of a challenge. It's my favourite subject, and I also read Maths related books outside of school purely out of interest and curiosity about areas in maths that I do not yet know about. So I'd say I'm more enthusiastic than your average maths student..

Cheers for the negative rep?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
enthusiasm and interest are the key to FM so that sounds all good
Original post by TenOfThem
enthusiasm and interest are the key to FM so that sounds all good

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Well I'm completely understanding GCSE Maths at the moment, and not finding it much of a challenge. It's my favourite subject, and I also read Maths related books outside of school purely out of interest and curiosity about areas in maths that I do not yet know about. So I'd say I'm more enthusiastic than your average maths student..

What type of books? :confused:
Reply 6
GCSE maths is pretty easy though, you can easily get an A* at GCSE and end up with a B at A-level. Maths used to be my best subject and i found i could do the GCSE exams with little or no revision, but i really struggled trying Further MAths, and i can only just cope with normal maths.
It really depends on your own ability and determination to work hard, because once you get it, its easy. Good luck!
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What type of books? :confused:

I'm currently reading 'The Musics of the Primes' by Marcus du Sautoy, which is basically history of how the primes are such mysterious and unpredictable numbers, but how Mathematicians such as Gauss and Riemann for example have worked with the primes to try and understand them and try to discover some order within their seemingly chaotic appearance. I'm then going to read 'what is mathematics', 'god created the integers', and I have a few more on my waiting list :smile:
Reply 8
I got an A* at GCSE in maths, and I do maths and further maths now, and let me tell you, A Levels are so much harder. The thing is, there are people in my further maths class who got an A* at GCSE and are getting D's now, and there are people who got an A* and are getting A's now. So it just depends if you enjoy it and if you're willing to put the work in, really...
Original post by urbanamore
I got an A* at GCSE in maths, and I do maths and further maths now, and let me tell you, A Levels are so much harder. The thing is, there are people in my further maths class who got an A* at GCSE and are getting D's now, and there are people who got an A* and are getting A's now. So it just depends if you enjoy it and if you're willing to put the work in, really...

To me it sounds like a Maths GCSE grade isn't much of an indicator to how well you will do at A-Level. However, you don't have to be much of a genius nowadays to get an A* at GCSE in maths really - you only need 78/100 on 2 linear papers, and when you look at the papers, they're incredibly easy. I think this creates a false sense of reassurance for people who get A*s at GCSE, who then think they will also be good at A Level Maths, but find the change in difficulty too stressful. Am I righit in saying this?

To me it sounds like a Maths GCSE grade isn't much of an indicator to how well you will do at A-Level. However, you don't have to be much of a genius nowadays to get an A* at GCSE in maths really - you only need 78/100 on 2 linear papers, and when you look at the papers, they're incredibly easy. I think this creates a false sense of reassurance for people who get A*s at GCSE, who then think they will also be good at A Level Maths, but find the change in difficulty too stressful. Am I righit in saying this?

I wouldn't say it's easy, but I certainly know a lot of people who got A*s at GCSE in Maths. However, all the people I know who did get A*s are doing well in Maths A Level at the moment, so I think to an extent it can show that you that you should be able to cope with A Level, but especially for me, it's a lot harder than I expected. Still, saying that, I'm still predicted an A for both my Maths AS and my Further Maths :smile:
Original post by urbanamore
I wouldn't say it's easy, but I certainly know a lot of people who got A*s at GCSE in Maths. However, all the people I know who did get A*s are doing well in Maths A Level at the moment, so I think to an extent it can show that you that you should be able to cope with A Level, but especially for me, it's a lot harder than I expected. Still, saying that, I'm still predicted an A for both my Maths AS and my Further Maths :smile:

I suppose it's also putting in the time and effort required then isn't it.. And Predicted A Grades for AS Maths and Further maths is great! Thanks for your help, and good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and have a strong A* in GCSE Maths. Is this a good indicator of how I will cope with A Level Maths and Further Maths? I'm just curious :smile:

Yeah it is,but what subjects are you thinking of doing for A-Levels??
Reply 13
Hi, i recently finished my first half term of As maths and Further maths after achieving an A in GCSE maths. (1% of A*)

The difference between GCSE maths and C1, S1 is pretty much none existence. M1 is where most people tend to struggle but once you can resolves components the rest of M1 is relatively straight forward.

The things you need most are:

Simultaneous equations
Trigonometry

impossible to tell. I only managed an A at GCSE. silly mistakes in maths exams WERE my forte. I now do maths& further maths and at AS did much better than alot of my class who would have gotten near 100% at gcse.
you sound like you're very enthusiastic about maths though, which probably means your good at it, and it just clicks for you, in which case you'll be fine. Its those that have to work at it at gcse level to make it click that might struggle moving into as/a levels.
Original post by Varsh05
Yeah it is,but what subjects are you thinking of doing for A-Levels??

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then either Biology or Chemistry- still unsure on the last 2.

Original post by bench
Hi, i recently finished my first half term of As maths and Further maths after achieving an A in GCSE maths. (1% of A*)

The difference between GCSE maths and C1, S1 is pretty much none existence. M1 is where most people tend to struggle but once you can resolves components the rest of M1 is relatively straight forward.

The things you need most are:

Simultaneous equations
Trigonometry

Yes I have heard that there isn't much of a difference between GCSE and C1. I'm sure my Physics will help a lot with M1, so I'm hoping that that won't be too much of a problem. Great, I love simultaneous equations and Trig, so no problems there either :smile:

Original post by silverspoonmess
impossible to tell. I only managed an A at GCSE. silly mistakes in maths exams WERE my forte. I now do maths& further maths and at AS did much better than alot of my class who would have gotten near 100% at gcse.
you sound like you're very enthusiastic about maths though, which probably means your good at it, and it just clicks for you, in which case you'll be fine. Its those that have to work at it at gcse level to make it click that might struggle moving into as/a levels.

I suppose it's different for everyone really isn't it. Yes, I'm rather enthusiastic about Maths, and also Physics, being my favourite and strongest subjects :smile: I'm just eager to expand on my mathematical knowledge really, I can't wait for AS.

I suppose it's different for everyone really isn't it. Yes, I'm rather enthusiastic about Maths, and also Physics, being my favourite and strongest subjects :smile: I'm just eager to expand on my mathematical knowledge really, I can't wait for AS.

It is, I've managed to overcome my silly mistakes and this year got 100% in a few of them, 90% being my worst.. in stats.. where stupid mistakes were definitely made.
AS was fun, had a good teacher. This year not so great :/ My teacher is crap so I'm having to teach myself a lot of it. Physics is by far my easiest AS/A Level subject (Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics, English). Just learn it and recite it in the exam. Half the physics course at AS is M1, and at A2, M2, so you'll already know it :smile:
Reply 17
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then either Biology or Chemistry- still unsure on the last 2.

Nicee :wink:
But I wouldn't wanna choose Maths,FM and Physics at the same time though.. =/
Unless you really enjoy it all 3 of them! :h:
I scored a B at GCSE and an A at A level. If you want it enough, you'll get it.
Original post by silverspoonmess
It is, I've managed to overcome my silly mistakes and this year got 100% in a few of them, 90% being my worst.. in stats.. where stupid mistakes were definitely made.
AS was fun, had a good teacher. This year not so great :/ My teacher is crap so I'm having to teach myself a lot of it. Physics is by far my easiest AS/A Level subject (Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics, English). Just learn it and recite it in the exam. Half the physics course at AS is M1, and at A2, M2, so you'll already know it :smile:

I used to be prone to stupid mistakes, due to not reading questions properly, but I've learnt to slow down, and not do everything at 100mph now haha. Those are great scores though. What grades do you think you'll get in the outcome? Have you thought about getting a tutor for maths? Because I have a gat relationship with my current teachers in Maths and Physics, and I believe this helps a lot. I'm considering having them tutor me every so often when I go to college, not due to worry of not doing well at college, but just because i find the way they teach really works for me, not entirely sure yet.

Original post by Varsh05
Nicee :wink:
But I wouldn't wanna choose Maths,FM and Physics at the same time though.. =/
Unless you really enjoy it all 3 of them! :h:

I love maths and physics, they're my favourite and strongest subjects :smile:

Original post by Altruistic1
I scored a B at GCSE and an A at A level. If you want it enough, you'll get it.

I suppose hard work pays off! Like they say, you reap what you sew!

Quick Reply

Latest