The Student Room Group

Theology/Religious Studies Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViennaWaits

Offer from KCL :biggrin:

Which college? :smile: Do you have an interview?

Gonville and Caius - I have an interview on the 12th...
Original post by geoffrz450
Gonville and Caius - I have an interview on the 12th...

Ooh good luck. Mine are on the 13th at Peterhouse
Reply 102
Original post by livvyess
Great minds, complete overlap on the clothing question there :wink:

So, how did you find today? Who was it that interviewed you?

Wonder if we spoke to each other at all xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by monkey101
Hi guys, i wonder if you could help me out? :smile:
Basically, i am in year 12, doing bio, chem, maths and geo at A level. I got 11 A* at GCSE, but am really confused on what do as a career- medicine or theology. I really enjoy looking at the bible and other religious texts, the history behind them, (massive fan of Dan Brown - da vinci code and Angels and Demons :biggrin: ) Is a theoology course like that? Or is it more philosphy, and stuff like "how do we know we are living." So is a theology course at a good uni (like oxford) a mix, or more philosphy or religious history? And as i got good GCSE's, i would like to apply to oxbridge, but as i am not doing R.S at A level will i be at a disadvantage?
Many Thanks
Adam

I wanted to do medicine for years and years until beginning of y12 when I realised that I was doing it more because it was a good career than because I was passionate about it. I got really into my AS RS course and wanted to do philosophy. As I researched more I found that there was a lot of maths and logic involved in philosophy and that it didn't do enough of the 'God stuff' for me. So I looked at Theology, which I'm now absolutely certain is right for me.
look really carefully at the modules they teach at each uni. Oxford are very traditional Theology looking closely at Christian history whereas Cambridge offers "Religious Studies and Theology" which is broader and allows more freedom across different religions. Unlike medicine where you're only looking at PBL or not, each uni teaches theology differently, some are more Xtian, Islamic and Jewish, some are Buddhism, Taoism etc, some are both and some are about Witchcraft and stuff- "Theology" is a very broad term.
Not doing RS won't be a disadvantage at all.
My advice is go to an open day and listen to the talks on both Philosophy and Theology; that's what I did and it made the decision for me. You really have to be interested in your subject to do it for 3 years, so see which talk, if either(!), interests you.
Hope that this very opinionated response helps!
Reply 104
Original post by Xæthon
So, how did you find today? Who was it that interviewed you?

Wonder if we spoke to each other at all xD

Were you guys at Manchester too?
Reply 105
Original post by Latki
Were you guys at Manchester too?

I definitely was, and I'm sure livvyess had the interview too that day. You were too then I take it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Current Progress:

Offers from Exeter, Nottingham & KCL!

Durham & St.Andrews pending! I've heard rumours they don't issue offers until mid-Jan is this true?

Completely shocked, but also delighted to know if I achieve my grades I'll be able to study the subject I love so much.
Reply 107
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've got a question for everyone, and I don't mean this in a bad way at all:

What makes you want to study theology?

Well, I'm also doing some mixed subjects at A-level: Biology, Drama and English Language. I started off wanting to english literature (did it at AS) but Theology gives you more to debate which is really important to me as a degree course. I hate having only one answer to stick to since I'm so opinionated. So Theology it was for me!
Reply 108
Original post by Xæthon
I definitely was, and I'm sure livvyess had the interview too that day. You were too then I take it?

Yeah I was; had an interview with Daniel Langton :s-smilie: which was a massive long grilling! :s-smilie: how was yours? heard anything?
Reply 109
Original post by Latki
Yeah I was; had an interview with Daniel Langton :s-smilie: which was a massive long grilling! :s-smilie: how was yours? heard anything?

I had one with, Peter Oakes was it? Right at the end of the day, got an offer the next day too! So you haven't heard back yet?

The questions I got weren't bad at all for me, just points on my personal statement which weren't difficult like I know some people got, e.g. the difference between religion and theology, that can be quite difficult.
Reply 110
progress- offers from:

exeter
kings college london
durham

and had my interview at cambridge on monday so now we wait and see..
Reply 111
Current Progress:

Offers from: Lancaster, Durham and KCL

Pending: Warwick, SOAS, Birmingham and Cambridge

Reject: Glasgow, Edinburgh
Reply 112
Original post by TW524
Current Progress:

Offers from: Lancaster, Durham and KCL

Pending: Warwick, SOAS, Birmingham and Cambridge

Reject: Glasgow, Edinburgh

how did you apply to so many?
People who had Cambridge interviews, how did you feel they went? :s-smilie:
Reply 114
Received an unconditional from Bristol last night :biggrin:
Offer from Exeter :biggrin:
So happy!
Original post by gracieoz
Received an unconditional from Bristol last night :biggrin:

Same :biggrin:
Reply 117
People who had Cambridge interviews, how did you feel they went? :s-smilie:

I had mine earlier this week at Emmanuel and surprisingly really enjoyed myself :L everyone was so lovely and it didn't feel like they were 'grilling' me as people have often implied.

How about everyone else?

Also, does anyone know when the decisions from Cambridge are posted?

x
Original post by fun_size
I had mine earlier this week at Emmanuel and surprisingly really enjoyed myself :L everyone was so lovely and it didn't feel like they were 'grilling' me as people have often implied.

How about everyone else?

Also, does anyone know when the decisions from Cambridge are posted?

x

apparently all letters are posted out on the 4th of January regardless of your college or your subject - so people should be hearing around the 5th or the 6th depending on how quick the post is!
Original post by Latki
I wanted to do medicine for years and years until beginning of y12 when I realised that I was doing it more because it was a good career than because I was passionate about it. I got really into my AS RS course and wanted to do philosophy. As I researched more I found that there was a lot of maths and logic involved in philosophy and that it didn't do enough of the 'God stuff' for me. So I looked at Theology, which I'm now absolutely certain is right for me.
look really carefully at the modules they teach at each uni. Oxford are very traditional Theology looking closely at Christian history whereas Cambridge offers "Religious Studies and Theology" which is broader and allows more freedom across different religions. Unlike medicine where you're only looking at PBL or not, each uni teaches theology differently, some are more Xtian, Islamic and Jewish, some are Buddhism, Taoism etc, some are both and some are about Witchcraft and stuff- "Theology" is a very broad term.
Not doing RS won't be a disadvantage at all.
My advice is go to an open day and listen to the talks on both Philosophy and Theology; that's what I did and it made the decision for me. You really have to be interested in your subject to do it for 3 years, so see which talk, if either(!), interests you.
Hope that this very opinionated response helps!

Another person into Medicine and Theology? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending