The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Yeah writing 'hola toda' didn't feel right - i guess that in itself is a good thing, even if i don't know how to correct my mistakes yet! :tongue:

Muy emocionante. Use 'Que' emocionante :smile: Tengo una amiga de St Kitts & Nevis, pero hablan Ingles (o 'Ingles' - el dialecto es demasiado diferente)! Sin embargo, ella habla un poco de espanol (mas que a mi), coincidentemente.

Sorry about the typing - sorting it out soon - and some of those words were shamelessly lifted out of the dictionary :tongue: I figure it will help me learn though.

I have a question for someone - what kinds of 'filler' words are there in spanish (and any specific to latin america would be even better!). e.g. someone is telling a long story and you want to show you're listening - i would say things like 'i see', 'yes', 'oh', etc. What are the translations? (as i don't think the dictionary will be very helpful here!)

Thanks for any help, and to anyone that points out mistakes i make.

Oh, que interesante! :biggrin:
I think the fillers are called 'muletillas' in Spanish!

Yo sé- I know
Veo- Literally, I see (not sure if this can be used in the context!)

I'm a little rubbish at colloquialisms etc :giggle:
Reply 41
Original post by thesilvermagnolia

Yo sé- I know

Original post by NEIHUB
If you need some help, I'm a native speaker.

Yeah the context is the issue! And i mean, in english there are literally loads you could use - is it the same in spanish? They probably differ spain to other spanish speaking countries too, annoyingly. Perhaps quote the native speaker in on this one (no offense!). Difficult but very useful question.

Have to say, a big concern is that even if i become very good at vocab, grammar etc, that in the hospital environment i will struggle to understand rapidly spoken spanish (possibly in an accent i am not used to...) I will start listening to movies etc as you say later on, but will this be enough?! :eek:
Yeah the context is the issue! They probably differ spain to other spanish speaking countries too, annoyingly.

Have to say, a big concern is that even if i become very good at vocab, grammar etc, that in the hospital environment i will struggle to understand rapidly spoken spanish (possibly in an accent i am not used to...) I will start listening to movies etc as you say later on, but will this be enough?! :eek:

I think a lot of the time, they would just say 'si' and 'oh'. I'm not sure whether they really have their own words for acknowledgement...I may be wrong though! As you learn the vocab and grammar yourself, you'll be able to pick out the words you know when you hear them. It will all come together once you put it into practice! :smile:
Reply 43
Estudio Espanol en la escuela, y gusto mucho! please correct me, i have just started! Quiero improvar mi grammatica!
Reply 44
I keep seeing people asking for advice about learning Spanish, and I've had some PM's too! So, I've decided to make a thread to get everyone together :smile:

Feel free to post, no matter what level you are! Ask any questions, introduce yourself...anything!

Adiós!

Useful websites

Grammar

www.studyspanish.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/tontitofrito
http://www.indiana.edu/~call/lengua.html

Radio Stations

www.rtve.es
http://tunein.com/radio/Top-Radio-972-s79707/

Films and TV shows

www.seriesyonkis.com

Muchas gracias!
Reply 45
I think a lot of the time, they would just say 'si' and 'oh'. I'm not sure whether they really have their own words for acknowledgement...I may be wrong though! As you learn the vocab and grammar yourself, you'll be able to pick out the words you know when you hear them. It will all come together once you put it into practice! :smile:

Yeah you may be right.

I think i will get formal lessons soon anyway. I want to be good enough for 'intermediate' level though rather than being stuck in a beginners class!
Original post by jazniarrah
Estudio Espanol en la escuela, y gusto mucho! please correct me, i have just started! Quiero improvar mi grammatica!

Hola, bienvenido :biggrin:

When you like something, you say 'me gusta' instead of 'gusto'. :biggrin:
So, you want to say; 'Estudio Espanol en la escuela, y me gusta mucho!' Also, 'improvar' (common mistake) doesn't really exist! Use the verb 'mejorar' which means to improve/to better :biggrin:
Original post by jazniarrah
Muchas gracias!

De nada!
Disfruta :biggrin:
Yeah you may be right.

I think i will get formal lessons soon anyway. I want to be good enough for 'intermediate' level though rather than being stuck in a beginners class!

Yeah..make sure you're doing lots of extra work yourself, so you get to a really good level. Its about understanding, not just knowing :biggrin:
Reply 49
¡¡Hola a todos!! Si alguien necesita ayuda con el Idioma español, aquí otra española dispuesta a ayudar!!
Original post by LoouuReeed
Hola a todos!! Si alguien necesita ayuda con el idioma Español, aqui otra Española dispuesta a ayudar!!

Muchas gracias! :biggrin:
Reply 51

Yo sé- I know

I'm a little rubbish at colloquialisms etc :giggle:

I think that fillers are used while you are talking to think for a moment and continue.

In this case, you want to interact showing interest/aknowledge...

I see: Ya veo

Really?: Ah, ¿sí?

I know: Entiendo/Comprendo

Ok: Vale

Sure: Claro
Reply 52
Hola chicas,

I'm learning Spanish by myself atm; I felt a bit inadequate knowing only English, (bit of German at GCSE, some French here and there) seeing people from different cultures knowing many others, with English as their second language, so I wanted to learn a good language to a proficient level, opening the door to experiencing new cultures. Spanish covers most of South America, Spain obviously, and is a very attractive language, derived from Latin, part of the Romance languages, therefore sharing a common structure with French, Portuguese and Italian, which is helpful (still interested in learning a bit more French in the future).

I wanted to learn Spanish at a practical level, I didn't appreciate at the time learning compulsory languages at school, with all the grammar and that malarkey, so I wanted to learn as a child would, just being exposed to the language, and inferring the grammar rules along the way, etc; I wanted to keep the learning experience enjoyable.

I started with Livemocha, which gives some good basics, giving you statements and phrases to learn from ('the cat sat on the mat', that kind of thing), through listening, writing and speaking exercises; the great thing is that it's community based, which means other speakers from around the world can help, and correct each others' submissions.

Right now I'm watching Spanish stuff, like this cracker of a show, Águila Roja, ("Red Eagle") which is about a ninja living in the 17th century, which says it all; it's a good way to pick up things, as it's very action based, visual, so you should get a gist of what's going on by just watching. Native Spanish speakers appear to speak at a thousand miles an hour, so watching things is good exposure.
Also just started watching this, Cuéntame como pasó, which seems a bit like that childhood show The Wonder Years with that Kevin Arnold fellow.
Saw a few movies with subtitles on youtube, just saw "Rec", without subtitles, good horror film, you might have heard of.

Destinos is an educational piece made by an American college for Spanish learners, 52 episodes following an investigator unfolding a mystery, with an actually not bad storyline, albeit cheesy as hell. The difficulty starts at beginner, and increases as you go along (on no. 38 atm).

I've also subscribed to some podcast series, Coffee Break Spanish is great, really applicable, practical stuff, quite fun to follow, presented by some Scottish geezer. Bought some bilingual books as well off Amazon, short stories with one page in Spanish, the opposing page having an English translation, it's good to see how common sentences are translated.

Great language, just learning for my own interest. Do your own thing to learn things here and there, we're fortunate that the Internet is full of a crapload of stuff so you can learn from your own home. The thing I think is the most helpful, is to keep watching Spanish and listening, keep getting yourself exposed, so you subconsciously pick up things, and start saying things, like Ay Dios mío... Hope this helps.
Reply 53
Original post by NEIHUB
I think that fillers are used while you are talking to think for a moment and continue.

In this case, you want to interact showing interest/aknowledge...

I see: Ya veo

Really?: Ah, ¿sí?

I know: Entiendo/Comprendo

Ok: Vale

Sure: Claro

¡Ya veo! Very useful - thanks.
Reply 54
Original post by Mistersjmcg
who the **** struggles with spanish? why don't you put something up that's useful.

"Who the ****"?? Seriously is your vocab that limited and your mind that you have to make such stupid remarks!!

Start working on making a constructive use of the English language!"Who the ****"?? Seriously is your vocab that limited and your mind that you have to make such stupid remarks!!
Reply 55
Original post by wassupjg
Hola chicas,

I'm learning Spanish by myself atm; I felt a bit inadequate knowing only English, (bit of German at GCSE, some French here and there) seeing people from different cultures knowing many others, with English as their second language, so I wanted to learn a good language to a proficient level, opening the door to experiencing new cultures. Spanish covers most of South America, Spain obviously, and is a very attractive language, derived from Latin, part of the Romance languages, therefore sharing a common structure with French, Portuguese and Italian, which is helpful (still interested in learning a bit more French in the future).

I wanted to learn Spanish at a practical level, I didn't appreciate at the time learning compulsory languages at school, with all the grammar and that malarkey, so I wanted to learn as a child would, just being exposed to the language, and inferring the grammar rules along the way, etc; I wanted to keep the learning experience enjoyable.

I started with Livemocha, which gives some good basics, giving you statements and phrases to learn from ('the cat sat on the mat', that kind of thing), through listening, writing and speaking exercises; the great thing is that it's community based, which means other speakers from around the world can help, and correct each others' submissions.

Right now I'm watching Spanish stuff, like this cracker of a show, Águila Roja, ("Red Eagle") which is about a ninja living in the 17th century, which says it all; it's a good way to pick up things, as it's very action based, visual, so you should get a gist of what's going on by just watching. Native Spanish speakers appear to speak at a thousand miles an hour, so watching things is good exposure.
Also just started watching this, Cuéntame como pasó, which seems a bit like that childhood show The Wonder Years with that Kevin Arnold fellow.
Saw a few movies with subtitles on youtube, just saw "Rec", without subtitles, good horror film, you might have heard of.

Destinos is an educational piece made by an American college for Spanish learners, 52 episodes following an investigator unfolding a mystery, with an actually not bad storyline, albeit cheesy as hell. The difficulty starts at beginner, and increases as you go along (on no. 38 atm).

I've also subscribed to some podcast series, Coffee Break Spanish is great, really applicable, practical stuff, quite fun to follow, presented by some Scottish geezer. Bought some bilingual books as well off Amazon, short stories with one page in Spanish, the opposing page having an English translation, it's good to see how common sentences are translated.

Great language, just learning for my own interest. Do your own thing to learn things here and there, we're fortunate that the Internet is full of a crapload of stuff so you can learn from your own home. The thing I think is the most helpful, is to keep watching Spanish and listening, keep getting yourself exposed, so you subconsciously pick up things, and start saying things, like Ay Dios mío... Hope this helps.

Spanish is a language spoken in many places, one of the most spoken languages around the world and of course, open you many doors, any language does you difference with other doesnt speak none. Actually i learn many languages by myself, also i study oficially languages because i want to be a translator but i like learn more because you never know if in an interview someone needs a speaker of Dutch, Russian.... It s useful and the most important, you can go anywhere!! If i learn Russian, example, i can go to russian pages, meeting other very different culture...it s amazing the freedom give you a language!! I think a language gives me a freedom to meet more than my own culture and discovering i am not the only in the world!!! other people has other traditions, ways of thinking....

And a thing more, the best way to learn a language is listening, watching the tv from the country, READING... more than studying grammar; i think grammar it s important when you know to communicate basic things and you understand a native speaker, then, in that case, you can start to discover grammar....

Yes, thanks to internet because i have a lot of material to learn any language!!! Hungarian, Russian, Turkish....there are many books that in a shop would be very expensive!!!

Aguila Roja is very considered here and Cuéntame still more!!

Look here :
http://www.rtve.es/television/espanoles-en-el-mundo/
Spanish around the world...

Aida is a funny tv show too...about an ordinary family from Spain, it s very very funny!!

(Sorry my grammar mistakes i am spanish!!)
Reply 56
Spanish is a language spoken in many places, one of the most spoken languages around the world and of course, open you many doors, any language does you differente with other doesnt speak none. Actually i learn many languages by myself, also i study oficially languages because i want to be a translator but i like learn more because you never know if in an interview someone needs a speaker of Dutch, Russian.... It s useful and the most important, you can go anywhere!! If i learn Russian, example, i can go to russian pages, meeting other very different culture...it s amazing the freedom give you a language!! I thing a language gives me a freedom to meet more than my own culture and discovering i am not the only in the world!!! other people has other traditions, ways of thinking....

And a thing more, the best way to learn a language is listening, watching the tv from the country, READING... more than studying grammar; i think grammar it s important when you know to communicate basic things and you understand a native speaker, then, in that case, you can start to discover grammar....

Yes, thanks to internet because i have a lot of material to learn any language!!! Hungarian, Russian, Turkish....there are many books that in a shop would be very expensive!!!

Aguila Roja is very considered here and Cuentame still more!!

Look here :
http://www.rtve.es/television/espanoles-en-el-mundo/
Españoles around the world...

Aida is a funny tv show too...about a ordinary family from Spain, it s very very funny!!

(Sorry my grammar mistakes i am spanish!!)

And what's your excuse for your mistakes when you write in Spanish? :hmmmm2:

No te lo tomes a mal, pero me parece que en este tipo de hilos es importante escribir sin faltas de ortografía.
Reply 57
Original post by NEIHUB
And what's your excuse for your mistakes when you write in Spanish? :hmmmm2:

No te lo tomes a mal, pero me parece que en este tipo de hilos es importante escribir sin faltas de ortografía.

Soy Española, en Español tendré faltas ortográficas porque soy humana pero no soy nativa en Inglés así que pido discupas si puedo escribir algo que no es correcto gramaticalmente. No, no me lo tomo a mal, si he escrito algo mal en Español posiblemente sea por despiste, si es así, ahora lo modifico.
Reply 58
Soy Española, en Español tendré faltas ortográficas porque soy humana pero no soy nativa en Inglés así que pido discupas si puedo escribir algo que no es correcto gramaticalmente. No, no me lo tomo a mal, si he escrito algo mal en Español posiblemente sea por despiSte, si es así, ahora lo modifico.

:smile: La exclamación inicial se usa en castellano, "español" se escribe con minúscula y "aquí" con tilde.

Todos cometemos errores, está claro. Quizá yo sea muy tiquismiquis con el buen uso de la lengua (sobre todo cuando se trata de ayudar a otros a aprender), pero de verdad que no pretendía sonar borde.
Reply 59
Sí, si ya he vuelto a cometer otro desPISte Hahaha, pero vamos, gracias hombre, así la gente no se queda confundida y arrastra errores

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending