The Student Room Group

How can I cope with looking younger than my age? Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm 21, but I look about 14. I dress my age - wear mature, fitted clothes and make up, but no matter what I do I still look like a teen and people give me dirty looks because they think I'm a **** who's trying to look older than her age. Whenever I go to work people ask if I'm old enough to work here or treat me like I'm stupid. I want to have children in a couple of years but I know I'm going to get so many nasty looks and comments because people will think I'm a teen mum.

So I went to the store the other day, to buy Boost Energy Drink.The lady at the counter said I looked too young and didn't let me buy it.I told her I'm 21 and she responded "You look under 16". Also, when I'm having a walk in the park people are always asking me "Shouldn't you be in school?"

I have two sisters (the youngest being 15) but people always mistake me for being the youngest in the family.

I'm getting really depressed about it. I'm happy with my body and I think I'm pretty, but I just look so young and I can hardly do anything without someone commenting on how young I look or thinking that I'm a kid. I just want to look like a woman :/ does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?

I look young because I'm short (5'1), skinny (weigh just over 7st and can't put on weight) and I have a round, baby face.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just be happy that when you 67, you'll look like your 30. Yeah it sucks now, but it has benefits in the future.
You'll be fine, I'm 25 and still get ID'd for alcohol sometimes!

Its a blessing, you'll look younger when your older :smile:
Reply 3
Just take ID with you where ever you go, make sure you wear sunscreen all the time so you like your 24 when your 35!
I feel the same way. I'm 17, almost 18. I look about 13 though :frown: I'm worried this will affect me when I go to uni because no one will take me seriously as a student :/
Reply 5
I look young but i do have decent height on my side. Used to bother me doesnt anymore.
Reply 6
you do not know how much joy you would have later just looking younger
do not mind
i am gald you are feeling happy with your self generally that is what matters most
if you can be happy with your self radiate that ...no matter what people say or do ..you are who you are . take your ID along to quell any stress... and neglect comments that do not boost you up. just take it easy
and enjoy the company of oyur friends
Trust me, in 10-20 years time, you will not be complaining.
ahh, I'm the opposite-- i wish i wasn't though. People think i'm old, i'm 16- but people mistake me for an 'older person' not like 20's but older. -_-.
I do. Don't worry we'll look hot when we're older :sexface:
I'm 20, and people think my 15 year old brother is a good couple of years older than me. One good thing about looking young is that you can be much cheekier and get away with a lot more. I speak my mind, and I think the only reason I have yet to be smacked in the jaw is the fact that I look too young for a good old fashioned beating :smile: I'm 5'5'' as well!

You just need to carry on seeing the things you like in your appearance, and whatever anyone else thinks will become irrelevant. Who cares what that random nosy woman walking past you may think?! And if people have the audacity to confront you in public about how young you look, why not tell them it's none of their business what they think and carry on - why should they be privy to your real age?!
My friend is 5'10", 19, and people don't believe she's over 18 when trying to get into bars. They actually 'double ID' her even when she goes in with me, I'm 4'11", 20, and sometimes don't get ID'd at all, other times people think I'm a lot younger. It's just the way it rolls if you have a baby face! It's not a bad thing! I wonder if you're imagining those women giving you dirty looks.
You can only carry around your ID really. I’ve been told by some people I look barely 16 but I’m 18. When you’re older people will be jealous of your youthful appearance. Just remember that your time will come.
my boyfriend (23) gets told all the time that he looks about 16. police have even stopped him a few times thinking that he's stolen the car/ underage joyrider :ahee:

i reckon if he looks younger than average now, he will continue to do so later on in life - meaning his fresh faced handsomeness shall be preserved for longer.......and this is good thing in my eyes :sexface:
Reply 14
Original post by runtoyou
I'm 21, but I look about 14. I dress my age - wear mature, fitted clothes and make up, but no matter what I do I still look like a teen and people give me dirty looks because they think I'm a **** who's trying to look older than her age. Whenever I go to work people ask if I'm old enough to work here or treat me like I'm stupid. I want to have children in a couple of years but I know I'm going to get so many nasty looks and comments because people will think I'm a teen mum.

So I went to the store the other day, to buy Boost Energy Drink.The lady at the counter said I looked too young and didn't let me buy it.I told her I'm 21 and she responded "You look under 16". Also, when I'm having a walk in the park people are always asking me "Shouldn't you be in school?"

I have two sisters (the youngest being 15) but people always mistake me for being the youngest in the family.

I'm getting really depressed about it. I'm happy with my body and I think I'm pretty, but I just look so young and I can hardly do anything without someone commenting on how young I look or thinking that I'm a kid. I just want to look like a woman :/ does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?

I look young because I'm short (5'1), skinny (weigh just over 7st and can't put on weight) and I have a round, baby face.

Don't care about this right now. You'll be so glad of it when you're 40. I'm 25 but look about 18-19, I don't give a damn, it just widens access. Nah'mean?
You'll be grateful in a good few years time. :biggrin:

I usually get told that I look older than I am-which is less pleasing when you are 23. :mad:
I'm nearly 18, yet look at lot closer to 12. I'm small (5 foot 3) but not overly short, but have a fairly baby face, and still a fairly prepubescent body (which I will continue to have, as I haven't grown since I was 13). My cousin is in year nine, and is bigger than me in many ways.

I don't mind being young looking in some circumstances. For example, its a god send on trains and buses. I've never bought an adult ticket in my life. But its rather annoying when people refuse to sell you 15 films, when you turned 15 three years ago!!!

I just hope I stay young looking. When I'm 40, and look 25 I'm sure I'll be grateful! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by I<3LAMP
You'll be grateful in a good few years time. :biggrin:

I usually get told that I look older than I am-which is less pleasing when you are 23. :mad:

I LOVE the cupcake in your sig! Nom nom. Christmas nom nom.

Anyways, OP - you'll be grateful when you're older, as everyone says! I'm 22 but look about 14/15 and can't even buy a lottery ticket without ID. It used to really bother me but now I prefer it - if you had the choice of looking older or younger than your age, you'd pick younger right? People with baby faces tend to look sweet and innocent - it's better than being a hard-faced 15-year-old chav who could pass for 30! Plus on the odd occasion you don't get IDd, it makes you feel ridiculously pleased :smile:
I'm 19 and work in a bookies and have done work at a supermarket. I always get the "oh are you old enough to serve alcohol" and "are you sure you're old enough to work in here?".

It's a bit of a drag, the worst thing ever was being ID'd for a 15 film when I was 18 -.-

Like the others say, I'm just looking forward to looking way more youthful than my peers in several years time :biggrin:
I wish I had your problem! I am 23, 6ft1, broadly built (but not out-of-proportion because of my height) and generally get asked if I'm 30.

Quick Reply

Latest