The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

I wish I had moves like that. :sad:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
:ditto:

He is supposed to be superior at deduction but then he is also supposed to be lazy/lack the mental fixation that Sherlock has. Although he did show his deduction prowess with the boomerang incident in the first episode, solving it faster/more efficiently than Sherlock.

Then again, they've sort of changed Moriarty. Poetic license and all that.
ooo damn! I watched Sherlock series 1 in August so must have watched a re-run...
Original post by Amwazicles
:eek: That's genius. It still would mean that everyone in the ambulance would have to be in on it, which would be pretty tricky to arrange from Sherlock's point of view. But definitely a good idea.

Well, he was right next to the hospital. There was no need for an ambulance. He could have been rushed in, declared dead by some rushed doctor and sent straight down to Molly.

Original post by Colonel.
Didn't the drug from Hound of the Baskervilles make you see what you expected to see?

Yes, but how did he get it so quickly?
The problem is, every single theory I read, I can't get away from the fact that the sniper, as much as he was trained on John, would have been certain to look at Sherlock jumping, given that a) wouldn't you be slightly distracted and b) surely he wanted to be certain that he'd died in order to know whether to carry out the order? Even if he hadn't seen, Sherlock knew there was a hit man watching John, doesn't it seem like a huge risk to take?
Going to throw it out there and state that the "Jim Moriarty" who killed himself in the final episode was NOT the real "Napoleon of Crime", but simply part of a genuine masterplan to make Sherlock believe that there is nobody left out there as dangerous as Moriarty.

So the scheme with an actor "playing" Moriarty? All the more brilliant for being true.
Original post by sleekchic
Cumberbatch dancing

I hadn't seen that. Brilliant. I guess with was uploaded with Benedict's permission?
Reply 1907
My interpretation of the sequence of events:

Holmes has anticipated what Moriaty will do about half way through.

He has made a lot of arrangements before he phoned Moriaty to come to Barts.

His arrangements are:

Mycroft will drive a truck with foam or something similar for him to land in when he jumps

Molly will give him bags of real blood and also examine the "body" when it is bought in.

He has also arranged for some people to act as passers by who will keep John away from the body as well as a cyclist to knock John over.

He jumps off the building and lands in the truck filled with foam. He then jumps out and covers himself with blood and lays on the pavement. The truck drives off to reveal the body.

Passers by rush over to see the body. John is knocked down and staggers towards the body but the passers by pull him away before he has a chance to examine it properly.

The body is rushed into the hospital where it "dies" and Molly certifies its Holmes.

The hitman is focused primarily on John so his view is also blocked by the truck until it drives off.
Original post by Luceria
I hadn't seen that. Brilliant. I guess with was uploaded with Benedict's permission?

I have absolutely no idea. I found it on youtube.
Original post by sleekchic
I have absolutely no idea. I found it on youtube.

You already had it as your avatar.
Original post by Maker

Original post by Maker
My interpretation of the sequence of events:

Holmes has anticipated what Moriaty will do about half way through.

He has made a lot of arrangements before he phoned Moriaty to come to Barts.

His arrangements are:

Mycroft will drive a truck with foam or something similar for him to land in when he jumps

Molly will give him bags of real blood and also examine the "body" when it is bought in.

He has also arranged for some people to act as passers by who will keep John away from the body as well as a cyclist to knock John over.

He jumps off the building and lands in the truck filled with foam. He then jumps out and covers himself with blood and lays on the pavement. The truck drives off to reveal the body.

Passers by rush over to see the body. John is knocked down and staggers towards the body but the passers by pull him away before he has a chance to examine it properly.

The body is rushed into the hospital where it "dies" and Molly certifies its Holmes.

The hitman is focused primarily on John so his view is also blocked by the truck until it drives off.

Did the truck move that slowly away? I'm fairly sure you saw his body on the ground from above not too long after he fell.
I don't know, that seems to "straightforward" and clumsily for Holmes.
Original post by Stray_talk
Did the truck move that slowly away? I'm fairly sure you saw his body on the ground from above not too long after he fell.
I don't know, that seems to "straightforward" and clumsily for Holmes.

^
i have to agree with this actually. this theory came far too easily and it doesn't address a couple of details, like the hand shake and the girl 'recognising' sherlock.

and again i do think it's very unlikely anything that could be hidden in a rubbish truck (i.e not a massive crash mat) could cushion a fall from that height and i don't see how sherlock could've calculated jumping far forward enough to hit the truck rather than the pavement, because the pavement, it seemed, was particularly wide.

i do also wonder whether the 'i owe you' has anything to do with it? john said it again at the end and it got me thinking.
Reply 1912
While re-watching the latest episode I realised that you dont actually see Moriarty die. You see the gun and hear shot but you don't see him die. Perhaps it was a directing technique to make it more dramatic or maybe because only so much violence and blood/gore can be shown on tv. What do you guys think?

Also I read somewhere that Moriarty isn't really Moriarty. That the 'Jim Moriarty' that we have seen is acting the part of M to make Sherlock think that he no longer has to deal with the criminal mastermind, now that he is dead. Therefore meaning that the real M is still out there (possibly similar to the Red John scenario in 'The Mentalist').

As for Sherlock's death, I feel Maker's theory (or rather compilation of theories) is the most plausable. However, instead of hiding blood in the truck and then using it before then going onto the pavement, he probably would have used Moriarty's blood. Then again, if Sherlock did rely on using M's blood, then he must have suspected that M would die.
Plus the H.O.U.N.D. drug could have been used on Watson. If that was the case I suspect that Sherlock would have altered it in the lab, making it less deadly and harmful.
"It's an ear hat, John!!!"

Made my night, it really did. Every time I see a deerstalker I will think of this.
Original post by dizzeedollee

i do also wonder whether the 'i owe you' has anything to do with it? john said it again at the end and it got me thinking.

It's Moffat. He'll probably bring it up every episode at 10 minute intervals until finally unravelling it in a brilliant yet annoyingly complex storyline. I bet we're going to be strangled by the number of "I owe you" lines that crop up.
Original post by Edsterr
While re-watching the latest episode I realised that you dont actually see Moriarty die. You see the gun and hear shot but you don't see him die. Perhaps it was a directing technique to make it more dramatic or maybe because only so much violence and blood/gore can be shown on tv. What do you guys think?

Also I read somewhere that Moriarty isn't really Moriarty. That the 'Jim Moriarty' that we have seen is acting the part of M to make Sherlock think that he no longer has to deal with the criminal mastermind, now that he is dead. Therefore meaning that the real M is still out there (possibly similar to the Red John scenario in 'The Mentalist').

Yeah, I think it was just to avoid that blood and gore shot. I think Moriarty is well and truly dead. I doubt anything Moriarty did in order to fake his own death would get past Sherlock - who was standing right there. Moriaty's realisation came at the last minute, it was not something he anticipated.

I really like that theory but it won't be true because of the general premise of Sherlock. This episode was to be Moriarty's demise, as it was in the books, and so far Moffat and Gatiss have stayed utterly true to the 'spirit' of the books (giving the works their own interpretation yes but not departing from it completely). It would go against everything if they were to spin Andrew Scott Moriarty so he was nothing but a puppet. And they are huge fans of the literature.

Plus, to entertain the theory, in order to make it believable at all, they would have had to have left some pretty big clues which pointed to that and dumbed down the Andrew Scott Moriarty considerably - which they did not.
If they are going to stick to the spirit of the book, then all the Mycroft making a mistake and betraying little brother thing will be a bluff, because Mycroft is the only one who knows Sherlock is alive and it's he who finances him for the 3 years he's 'dead'. Presumably it's all done to make John believe Sherlock's dead so that Sherlock can go to ground for a while. In the books, he does that to shake off some of Moriarty's henchmen who are still hunting him after the boss's death. Plus the other most well known thing about the Holmes stories after Sherlock's fake death is the fact that he's got a brother even smarter than he is.
Reply 1917
Yeah well it was just an idea.

I know that Moffat and Gatiss try to stick to books as much as possible, but that's got me thinking. In the books Sherlock told no-one (with the exception of Mycroft) that he was still alive, at least not until a while afterwards. Yet in most of the theories they involve Molly, the cyclist, and even in some cases, the passers by, to know of Sherlock faking his death. This leads me to believe that the real answer will be a lot more devilishly schemed (after all it is Moffat). Then again I may just be over thinking this.

P.S. Have you noticed the 'Anonymous' person who has been commenting on thescienceofdeduction.co.uk and on johnwatsonblog.co.uk
Do you have any idea who he/she may be (or was it just Moriarty?)
Original post by Amwazicles
We're all in it together. We can do this :hugs:

:yep: Agreed.

Aww, thanks! :smile: I've been eating chocolate cake and listening to Fort Minor, Dashboard Confessional, the Goo Goo Dolls and other depressing songs - playing THAT phone call scene between Sherlock and John over and over again... Dammit I'm not helping myself:bawling:

And all the people at uni didn't understand my grief (except for my equally-emotionally-invested-Sherlock friend).
Original post by Oliviaonthetrain
Aww, thanks! :smile: I've been eating chocolate cake and listening to Fort Minor, Dashboard Confessional, the Goo Goo Dolls and other depressing songs - playing THAT phone call scene between Sherlock and John over and over again... Dammit I'm not helping myself:bawling:

And all the people at uni didn't understand my grief (except for my equally-emotionally-invested-Sherlock friend).

I've been tumblr-stalking since I got home from college, and I'm going to rewatch the whole episode tonight in bed :biggrin: :erm:

None of my friends are as emotionally-invested as me :frown: One of them watches it, but she's not as obsessed as I am. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest