On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Like_A_G6
Yep. It was quite a rushed decision in terms of what house we went for as everything we looked at and said 'we'll take it' the guy showing us around then turned around and said the house had literally just been signed for so the first house we sort of liked that wasn't taken we took. It's on kitchener road so really close to the uni and i'm moving in with 5 friends who are all in catered accommodation so I guess i'll be having the kitchen to myself as they said they'll just order takeaways daily :smile:

How about you? I heard from those who are looking for houses now that many more homes have come on the market since December which makes us think that next year we'll just not bother looking for a house until the last minute.

Maybe we should set up a thread for this? Lol. We're looking at the moment and I know what you mean by more accommodation coming on the market now. (Thank god) We're going to stick around Highfield if possible.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 481
Original post by glf2110
I didn't have a choice on Connaught, they ran out of your rooms! :tongue:
One of my mates was in Monte 2 and hated it so much she moved to GE. I pay about £107 pw but obviously get food included. (Full English, 2 course dinner) Not bad for £22 plus a MASSIVE room. You guys need to sort yourselves out, we never queue for showers - 2 between 16 (and yes we do use them daily :biggrin:). Wouldn't waste my money on ensuite plus you have to clean them yourself. Sorted out next year yet?

Alright yh you have some massive room but your bed still small .... :smile: And the food is not really really good if you want a healthy meal :redface:

P.S. But next year im torn between uni accomm or find one in town ...
Reply 482
Original post by Tom_Sg
Alright yh you have some massive room but your bed still small .... :smile: And the food is not really really good if you want a healthy meal :redface:

P.S. But next year im torn between uni accomm or find one in town ...

Suits me this year. Healthy food is always available, it's down to choices. :tongue:
Original post by glf2110
Maybe we should set up a thread for this? Lol. We're looking at the moment and I know what you mean by more accommodation coming on the market now. (Thank god) We're going to stick around Highfield if possible.

Good idea especially considering the new Sainsburys is a few minutes away and same with the uni. A lot of our flat decided to get a house near Sobar which they regret now that it has dawned on them that it gets cold in winter and buses won't be free next year :biggrin:

From what i've read on here and from taling to tenants at houses we viewed, it would be a good idea to avoid cryers and tenant link. The latter was 50 minutes late for a viewing!

I think this convo should move to the Southampton uni chat thread lol :biggrin:
Reply 484
Original post by glf2110
Suits me this year. Healthy food is always available, it's down to choices. :tongue:

Yeah you call it healthy because you're british .... :biggrin:
Reply 485
Original post by Tom_Sg
Yeah you call it healthy because you're british .... :biggrin:

What the heck has that got to do with it?:confused:
Reply 486
You're taste in food ... when i saw some flatemates eat their chips with vinegar ....
Reply 487
Original post by Tom_Sg
You're taste in food ... when i saw some flatemates eat their chips with vinegar ....

"MY taste in food?" Fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal for breakfast. Choice of meals including home made soups, fresh veg and low fat options plus more fresh fruit salad etc for dinner. OMG Im heading for a coronary! :biggrin:
Reply 488
Original post by glf2110
"MY taste in food?" Fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal for breakfast. Choice of meals including home made soups, fresh veg and low fat options plus more fresh fruit salad etc for dinner. OMG Im heading for a coronary! :biggrin:

DAMN ARE YOU BRITISH ?? :colone:

I was kidding, i'll take a look on next week gonna visit someone for 4 days. :love:
Reply 489

Original post by Sh47
Offer for the engineering foundation year :smile:

Hi, just wondering what your predicted grades are and in what subjects. I have also applied to Soton Uni for engineering foundation year but haven't heard anything yet ...
Reply 490
Original post by jacery1
Hi, just wondering what your predicted grades are and in what subjects. I have also applied to Soton Uni for engineering foundation year but haven't heard anything yet ...

its a foundation you do not need any grades (i think ....)
Reply 491
Original post by Tom_Sg
its a foundation you do not need any grades (i think ....)

A Level:

If you have not studied mathematics and/or physics at A level then you will usually need a Foundation Year. Our offers are normally based on A level grades of between BBB and AAA depending on the programme you wish to progress to after the Foundation Year. If you have not taken A-Level mathematics you will need an aptitude for the subject, which may be demonstrated by recent study (e.g. GCSE grade of at least B, free-standing mathematics units) or by taking our Maths Test.
Reply 492
Offer for Foundation Year Engineering :biggrin:
Reply 493
Just wondering if anyone knows but I got a letter about my offer/post offer open day etc, went online and it's the same day as my Newcastle open day (which I've booked flights for and can't change easily). It did say on the letter if you are unable to attend look at the website etc etc, so I'm assuming it's not like some of the post offer days sound as in I don't actually have to go?

Basically anyone know if I have to go or not? It's a Social Science visit day for Population & Geography :smile:
Reply 494
Original post by Alice.
Just wondering if anyone knows but I got a letter about my offer/post offer open day etc, went online and it's the same day as my Newcastle open day (which I've booked flights for and can't change easily). It did say on the letter if you are unable to attend look at the website etc etc, so I'm assuming it's not like some of the post offer days sound as in I don't actually have to go?

Basically anyone know if I have to go or not? It's a Social Science visit day for Population & Geography :smile:

I don't think so. I would have thought that they're just trying to sell the uni to you. Why don't you phone them and see?
Reply 495
Original post by ppincus
Hey guys,

Seeing as there are no official 2012 applicant's thread at the current moment, I've decided to create one. Post your course/subject, decisions etc.

I myself am applying for Biology C100. Fingers crossed!

Electromechanical engineering- AAB
Original post by glf2110
To be honest, I don't remember receiving ANY more info.

But what you want is: http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/apply/ You'll apply for accommodation from beginning of Feb using your Soton ID.

Im in Connaught, didn't want it as it's part catered but it's brilliant. Huge rooms if you go for the standard room without wash basin in Old Quad, the food is good, the JCR and bar make for a great social life.

So no info about reading lists or anything like that? Even more info on the different types of accommodation would be pretty handy. Seems weird they'd expect everyone to apply online :confused:
Reply 497
Original post by TheWalkinDude
So no info about reading lists or anything like that? Even more info on the different types of accommodation would be pretty handy. Seems weird they'd expect everyone to apply online :confused:

All the accommodation information is available online. http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/index.html
Not sure what's weird about everyone applying online, it's what all unis do. Thought it was very straightforward.

We weren't given a reading list as we were told to wait and see which books we preferred. Thought it was strange at the time but actually it's proved to be good advice.
Original post by glf2110
All the accommodation information is available online. http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/index.html
Not sure what's weird about everyone applying online, it's what all unis do. Thought it was very straightforward.

We weren't given a reading list as we were told to wait and see which books we preferred. Thought it was strange at the time but actually it's proved to be good advice.

Ah didn't realise they had maps of all the different campuses. Don't suppose you know if they have a map showing where each one is in relation to the University?

Just thought if people don't have the internet (rare in this day and age I know!) it could be quite difficult for them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 499
Original post by TheWalkinDude
Ah didn't realise they had maps of all the different campuses. Don't suppose you know if they have a map showing where each one is in relation to the University?

Just thought if people don't have the internet (rare in this day and age I know!) it could be quite difficult for them.

Ooh, i'll have a look.
But for the time being Glen Eyre is a 5 min walk north of the main campus
Wessex Lane and Connaught are about a 15 minute walk, west of the main campus
Small Halls are spread. Bencraft is north and isolated, Archers Roads are about 1.5 miles south but nearer Avenue campus, Highfield is a 10-15 min walk south of the campus.

If youre in Halls then you get a free bus pass which is great. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending