The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KED
I thought my films were too big to upload as well, but managed to compress and compress again and got them down, quality is not great but its worth trying to compress - I did it on one of the macs in college, sorry cant remember the name of the programme, but I bet its one of those things you can do online if you google search it (thats how I changed my format, using http://www.convertfiles.com/)

Heres mine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdtalk/sets/72157629189719079/

This whole process is just insane, feel like I havent slept in weeks!

I don't think I can you see, I made it on a Mac and now I'm stuck with my crappy old windows. Apparently I have to download quicktime pro or something but I'll check the link out - thanks!
Reply 341
Original post by KED
I thought my films were too big to upload as well, but managed to compress and compress again and got them down, quality is not great but its worth trying to compress - I did it on one of the macs in college, sorry cant remember the name of the programme, but I bet its one of those things you can do online if you google search it (thats how I changed my format, using http://www.convertfiles.com/)

Heres mine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdtalk/sets/72157629189719079/

This whole process is just insane, feel like I havent slept in weeks!

Nice work! Love the shoes, and the egg breasts! mouldy eggs stinkkkk, I made something using them, I cut into the egg and the smell just invades everything, so rotten, nearly threw up.

I knowww, been up all night, and cant think about much else, Where did you do your foundation?
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Some, I've only just finished photographing a lot of it and I've still got about 10 days until I have to email it to Brighton. I'll whack everything else on my Flickr once I've finished this.
I reeeeeeally don't think anyone's going to copy mine haha.

Ah brightons due tomorrow asweeelll for me
Also you may know I missed my leeds deadline... I'm thinking of actually getting it together anyway this week coz I know someone who's deadline for there is wednesday so obviously they're still looking at applications... And I can mayyyybe blame the royal mail :tongue: aha

Original post by Soares
Ha just had 2, I think someone admires us :rolleyes: Wouldn't worry, I'm quite flattered to be honest, confidence is way higher now! and i can see which individual photos they like most! ahah :biggrin:

I didn't even realise that! But hmmm
I'm not sure I saw yours... Would you mind posting it again? I'm on my phone so its long to go back through the thread
Original post by kaylafrances
Ah brightons due tomorrow asweeelll for me
Also you may know I missed my leeds deadline... I'm thinking of actually getting it together anyway this week coz I know someone who's deadline for there is wednesday so obviously they're still looking at applications... And I can mayyyybe blame the royal mail :tongue: aha

That's just really weird! I'm seriously worrying that I'm going to miss Leeds but they've barely given me any information. Unless they're just leaving me to one side as a bottom of the pile kind of thing? Wouldn't be surprised.
Reply 344
Original post by Soares
Nice work! Love the shoes, and the egg breasts! mouldy eggs stinkkkk, I made something using them, I cut into the egg and the smell just invades everything, so rotten, nearly threw up.

I knowww, been up all night, and cant think about much else, Where did you do your foundation?

LOL, I almost killed everyone on the bus and in my class when i brought them in to college...:s-smilie: they were just too brilliant to throw out though (especially in the light of the current breast implants scandal), I poured several layers of PVA on them and left them out on the roof at college for about 2 weeks - amazingly in worked - my mouldy breasts are now proudly hanging in my class!

Im at westminster Kingsway College, started on a BTEC national last year, then the college switched the qualification to an ABC foundation this year, though to be honest this year Ive done so little cause everything is taken up with getting my damn portfolio done!

Whats your first choice? mines Camberwell, thoough its the one I worry most about getting into because I dont have so many paintings
Reply 345
Original post by kaylafrances
I didn't even realise that! But hmmm
I'm not sure I saw yours... Would you mind posting it again? I'm on my phone so its long to go back through the thread

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59028616@N08/sets/72157629190151989/
I'm still trying to narrow it down, even when its so late. And chose a page from my journal/research book to add.
Reply 346
Original post by KED
LOL, I almost killed everyone on the bus and in my class when i brought them in to college...:s-smilie: they were just too brilliant to throw out though (especially in the light of the current breast implants scandal), I poured several layers of PVA on them and left them out on the roof at college for about 2 weeks - amazingly in worked - my mouldy breasts are now proudly hanging in my class!

Im at westminster Kingsway College, started on a BTEC national last year, then the college switched the qualification to an ABC foundation this year, though to be honest this year Ive done so little cause everything is taken up with getting my damn portfolio done!

Whats your first choice? mines Camberwell, thoough its the one I worry most about getting into because I dont have so many paintings

Nice probs gunna try PVA glue myself for my organic stuff.
Its so time consuming right? Mine first is Goldsmiths, I just love how they put so much into theory n that sort of stuff. I was going to apply to Camberwell, but in the end I ended up making like no paintings whatsoever, unusual since that used to be my only medium :s-smilie:
Reply 347
Original post by Soares
Nice probs gunna try PVA glue myself for my organic stuff.
Its so time consuming right? Mine first is Goldsmiths, I just love how they put so much into theory n that sort of stuff. I was going to apply to Camberwell, but in the end I ended up making like no paintings whatsoever, unusual since that used to be my only medium :s-smilie:

Same here, i always considered myself a painter till I did this course, Ive loved experimenting and ended up only doing about 3 paintings!

I loved the atmosphere at Camberwell and their degree show was outstanding, though Goldsmiths degree show was brilliant as well (Chelsea's was amazingly bad!)
I think the Goldsmiths online portfolio took me considerably less time because I was pretty organised to begin with. :tongue: Lots of high res photos just ready to be edited down in size, cropped together and putting a nice 1 cm white border around - pretty much it.

Don't forget to use Photoshop Actions to edit your photos, guys! Saves you hours and hours of unnecessary editing when you can do it in one shot for each of your photos, i.e. curves, brightness and contrast, re-sizing, unsharp mask, etc. :smile:
Original post by KED
Same here, i always considered myself a painter till I did this course, Ive loved experimenting and ended up only doing about 3 paintings!

I loved the atmosphere at Camberwell and their degree show was outstanding, though Goldsmiths degree show was brilliant as well (Chelsea's was amazingly bad!)

Really, you think so?! Chelsea's my second choice, after Slade. Idk about their degree shows, but Camberwell isn't even on my list, haha.

I LOVE your "sweet torture" shoe piece, by the way, and your video work is v. interesting too.
Reply 350
Original post by Princeling
Really, you think so?! Chelsea's my second choice, after Slade. Idk about their degree shows, but Camberwell isn't even on my list, haha.

I LOVE your "sweet torture" shoe piece, by the way, and your video work is v. interesting too.

Thank you :smile: I want to do more shoes, was thinking of putting an advert for women to send me the shoes they 'love to hate' most women have at least one pair of painful shoes they love but can never wear.

With Chelsea, the location is great and I like that they dont have pathways and just leave you to it (there's only 1 seminar and 1 lecture a week - the rest is your own work in the studio with very little input). Major downside is that they dont have any printing facilities or darkrooms (only digital photography processes), small studio space and tbh their degree show was sooooo bad it was painful! However, cause Im older and have to balance working with a degree, their good qualities are a big plus and I did apply there.

Camberwell have amazing facilities (everything you could every need), a really down to earth atmosphere and the only place Ive been to that lets any student, on any pathway sign up for workshops to learn any process (from animation to casting) - everywhere else seems to rely on you seeking out a technician to help with a specific piece of work. Im also biased as I live in Camberwell and love the area!
Oh, thank you! ;__;
And no, Kingston isn't very strict. It has a fantastically open course, unlike Slade, lolol, in that the tutors aren't looking for any specific type of student (unlike Goldsmiths) and they're looking for all types of students with potential who essentially can do what they like. They provide excellent facilities and help you with commercial things but they're certainly not "very commercial" - it's a shame that you find LCC that way. So no, Kingston is an excellent course... but I'm here already and it's not that exciting for me anymore, haha. But the town is lovely too, with everything very conveniently close and an alright night life, and there are at least two campuses - Knights Park and Penrhyn Road - where you can find basically everything, including fantastic library resources, theatre, clubs, etc. The whole uni experience is really felt here because it doesn't only have art, but art does happen to be its strongest course, IMO.

aw, that's great. thanks a lot for the input. haha yeah i bet slade wants to refine you in a certain way, oh well. are the tutors very helpful in kingston? though i guess generally you'd have to be very independent and go to them if you want something. i don't think every single course on LCC is that way, don't want to put off anyone! just my course, i believe. because i'm in a diploma instead of foundation or BA, they're generally more driven towards the traditional way of doing things. but i do think the BA course is pretty good!

anyway thanks a lot again, and i'm sure you'd get into any uni you'd want, as your work is damn good. and i read you're also keen on chelsea? the whole UAL is generally really unorganised as you say, but i went to the open day and was kinda taken by them aha. and the library facilities are amazing, not necessarily at chelsea but you could head over LCC and CSM and it's really wonderful. but i still think edinburgh (my first choice) is a so so lovely -- there's also not many people in a course so it feels a little bit more personal. well that's what i saw on the open day anyway! :>
Original post by KED
Thank you :smile: I want to do more shoes, was thinking of putting an advert for women to send me the shoes they 'love to hate' most women have at least one pair of painful shoes they love but can never wear.

With Chelsea, the location is great and I like that they dont have pathways and just leave you to it (there's only 1 seminar and 1 lecture a week - the rest is your own work in the studio with very little input). Major downside is that they dont have any printing facilities or darkrooms (only digital photography processes), small studio space and tbh their degree show was sooooo bad it was painful! However, cause Im older and have to balance working with a degree, their good qualities are a big plus and I did apply there.

Camberwell have amazing facilities (everything you could every need), a really down to earth atmosphere and the only place Ive been to that lets any student, on any pathway sign up for workshops to learn any process (from animation to casting) - everywhere else seems to rely on you seeking out a technician to help with a specific piece of work. Im also biased as I live in Camberwell and love the area!

Yes, I think you do the feministic touch with your work very well without becoming cliched, which is very hard nowadays with all that has been done before.

And interesting!! I guess we just have different perspectives. I don't find the lack of dark rooms/printing facilities to be a major downside because those aren't my strongest mediums anyway (especially not print, haha), and I was actually really unimpressed with the Camberwell area when I went to the nearby gallery. I believe I passed the new building, but it looked really old?! :confused: That whole letting any student sign up for workshops sounds fantastic, though, you don't get that in Kingston. Foundation students are majorly treated like second class citizens, haha, especially fine art students in the 3D workshop. They think we waste materials. :tongue:
Original post by goldmagnolia
aw, that's great. thanks a lot for the input. haha yeah i bet slade wants to refine you in a certain way, oh well. are the tutors very helpful in kingston? though i guess generally you'd have to be very independent and go to them if you want something. i don't think every single course on LCC is that way, don't want to put off anyone! just my course, i believe. because i'm in a diploma instead of foundation or BA, they're generally more driven towards the traditional way of doing things. but i do think the BA course is pretty good!

anyway thanks a lot again, and i'm sure you'd get into any uni you'd want, as your work is damn good. and i read you're also keen on chelsea? the whole UAL is generally really unorganised as you say, but i went to the open day and was kinda taken by them aha. and the library facilities are amazing, not necessarily at chelsea but you could head over LCC and CSM and it's really wonderful. but i still think edinburgh (my first choice) is a so so lovely -- there's also not many people in a course so it feels a little bit more personal. well that's what i saw on the open day anyway! :>

Slade DOES, lol, I especially don't like how they separate into fine art painting, sculpture and media... even if you have a lot of leeway. But it's still my first choice, sigh. The tutors are helpful, I think... at least my foundation ones are. I mean, sometimes they can be rather insufferable (oh god, don't let them read this) but as a general rule, no matter how they come across, they are very helpful and usefully demanding of you. Degree course I'm not so sure about, but generally, Kingston tutors are pretty damn good. :wink:
And good to hear, I know lots of people are applying to LCC. :smile:

Omg, stop flattering me; you'll give me false hope! :tongue: I believe in my potential, but my work is eh, I think... haha. And same! I was all huffy with Chelsea and then I went to their open day and I was like... 8') I want to come here!
I've heard Edinburgh is so lovely and an incredibly artsy city so I'm sure it's absolutely wonderful. :biggrin: But since I came back to the UK specifically to study in London, Scotland just doesn't count in there. :colondollar:
Reply 354
Yes, I think you do the feministic touch with your work very well without becoming cliched, which is very hard nowadays with all that has been done before.

And interesting!! I guess we just have different perspectives. I don't find the lack of dark rooms/printing facilities to be a major downside because those aren't my strongest mediums anyway (especially not print, haha), and I was actually really unimpressed with the Camberwell area when I went to the nearby gallery. I believe I passed the new building, but it looked really old?! :confused: That whole letting any student sign up for workshops sounds fantastic, though, you don't get that in Kingston. Foundation students are majorly treated like second class citizens, haha, especially fine art students in the 3D workshop. They think we waste materials. :tongue:

I do know people who love Chelsea, I think its just so individual, all you can do is go with your gut instinct . The Camberwell Building is a huge hodge podge of old and new and a maze to find your way around (looks like crap from the outside, but the facilities are still excellent) - Chelsea's building IS much more beautiful. The workshop thing is majorly swaying me, I get the impression most other places are like you said - very little scope for really learning skills in workshops that are not attached to your course.

I love the new CSM building, but your first years will be in Archway (ok, but workshops have been really cut down in favour of the new building). Goldsmiths is my other choice,

Who knows, I'll just be happy to get 1 bloody acceptance so I can relax again!

I have to apply to places close to home or easy to travel to cause of work - if I was young and free to choose, Id go to Brighton or Glasgow

Just on the camberwell area though, Ive lived all over london (Camden, Pimlico, Notting Hill) and this has been by far the best place to live, loads of artists in the area, good independent galleries, studios, great food and buses go everywhere in London (I hate the tube).
Original post by KED

I agree about Chelsea, the building's so beautiful and the location is perfect but the lack of space is really off-putting. Saying that, I went for an interview there last year and hated it :colondollar:
Anyone sending a portfolio without any drawing in? I'm seriously considering it - I just don't do any!
Reply 357
Anyone sending a portfolio without any drawing in? I'm seriously considering it - I just don't do any!

I think you should send one at least. Unless you have some in sketchbooks...
Original post by joelchan
I think you should send one at least. Unless you have some in sketchbooks...

You're probably right, everyone else is I guess.

What Joel said. You don't need to put in life drawing if it's completely irrelevant to your artistic practice, but 2D work related to your 3D or other work is important as it shows your development, as well as provide at least some evidence of basic drawing skill.

Quick Reply

Latest