The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

I couldn't live without my ensuite tbh. Just the convenience of having a shower/going to the loo without having to trek down a corridor. Or, having to suffer as a result of someone's heavy night or bad curry. Also, I'd hate to drag my shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothbrush, facewash and towel to the shower every morning. I guess if you were forced to have one anyone could live with it, but if I was answering the question "is the ensuite worth the extra £15 a week?", then YES. (And as well as that you might get stuff like carpet, wider corridors, bigger rooms and twice as many hobs in a larger kitchen! All for £15 difference, result).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 461
personally I'm not too fussed - I've lived with shared bathrooms before. It was never anything that bothered me. And besides, you get a sink in your bedroom so it's not like you have to go all the way to the toilets to brush your teeth or wash your face.
Reply 462
I've always lived in either uni owned halls or private halls where they only ever had ensuites, and it's really nice having my own space. Talking to a lad from Teeside Uni who was sharing though, said he'd never had any problems at all.
Reply 463
You'll most likely have to share in your second/third year anyway and at most unis the shared bathrooms in halls are cleaned every day! To be honest going to the bathroom isn't something I spend hours doing, I'm more of a straight in and out kind of girl. I'd much rather spend £160 A MONTH on clothes/ shoes/ food/ treats (REAL luxuries) rather than having a comfortable ****.
Reply 464
Original post by alinaylor
You'll most likely have to share in your second/third year anyway and at most unis the shared bathrooms in halls are cleaned every day! To be honest going to the bathroom isn't something I spend hours doing, I'm more of a straight in and out kind of girl. I'd much rather spend £160 A MONTH on clothes/ shoes/ food/ treats (REAL luxuries) rather than having a comfortable ****.

Got to agree with you there, for the sake of walking 5 seconds out of my room, I'll happily take the £20 a week and use it for other things! All the toilets/showers in our halls are cleaned every other day anyway, so they never get dirty enough that it becomes a problem. Plus if somebody is being stupid, it's hardly difficult to have a word with them and get it sorted (most of the time, anyway).
Reply 465
Original post by Dan1909
Got to agree with you there, for the sake of walking 5 seconds out of my room, I'll happily take the £20 a week and use it for other things! All the toilets/showers in our halls are cleaned every other day anyway, so they never get dirty enough that it becomes a problem. Plus if somebody is being stupid, it's hardly difficult to have a word with them and get it sorted (most of the time, anyway).

I know, but £40 a week extra (at my uni) is just a ridiculous amount of money just for a very tiny en suite. I go to the gym alot and have no problems using the showers there, I just manned up! £160 a month tho, It wasn't long til the students in the en suite accom were complaining about having no money and wished they'd gone for the cheaper accom :wink:
i applied for en-suite just the other day for when i go to uni in september, shared is 76 quid and en-suite 103..... so 27 difference "/

i'll share for my other years obviously, but it's nice to have that one time luxury, because i never have had it xD
Reply 467
Original post by alinaylor
I know, but £40 a week extra (at my uni) is just a ridiculous amount of money just for a very tiny en suite. I go to the gym alot and have no problems using the showers there, I just manned up! £160 a month tho, It wasn't long til the students in the en suite accom were complaining about having no money and wished they'd gone for the cheaper accom :wink:

Definitely, a few weeks in and people with en-suites realise they would prefer to have the extra cash!
Original post by Dan1909
Definitely, a few weeks in and people with en-suites realise they would prefer to have the extra cash!

Perhaps. :smile:

I was in university standard accommodation for three years. That wasn't an ordeal or anything. The worst we had was a few people who didn't know how to flush, someone who kept getting jiggy in the shower and lots of hair belonging to whomever.

This year, I have opted for an ensuite. Partly because I didn't have much of a choice - this college only offers that. Whilst the money is pretty scary - this room is around £120 per week - I love having an ensuite. It is a luxury but one that I am very grateful for, especially when I am up and out first thing and so forth. So, for this year, I am willing to scrap around money wise and enjoy this little bit of privilege, just for once. :redface:
Reply 469
Original post by affinity89
Perhaps. :smile:

I was in university standard accommodation for three years. That wasn't an ordeal or anything. The worst we had was a few people who didn't know how to flush, someone who kept getting jiggy in the shower and lots of hair belonging to whomever.

This year, I have opted for an ensuite. Partly because I didn't have much of a choice - this college only offers that. Whilst the money is pretty scary - this room is around £120 per week - I love having an ensuite. It is a luxury but one that I am very grateful for, especially when I am up and out first thing and so forth. So, for this year, I am willing to scrap around money wise and enjoy this little bit of privilege, just for once. :redface:

Yeah it's nice to have if you don't mind paying the extra.

I just find it quite amusing, at the start of the year, 90%+ of people "NEED" an en-suite, by the end of the year, there are very, very few people who still say the same.
Original post by Dan1909
Yeah it's nice to have if you don't mind paying the extra.

I just find it quite amusing, at the start of the year, 90%+ of people "NEED" an en-suite, by the end of the year, there are very, very few people who still say the same.

I knew that I didn't "need" an ensuite. But, given the prices of the colleges, this one was actually one of the cheapest options for me. A lot of the others are catered, so I would have been paying out more for a standard room with food that I quite likely wouldn't have eaten [either because I wasn't there to eat it or because I am quite fussy]. :smile:
Reply 471
£160 extra a month.

Nuff said.
Everybody is seriously over-exaggerating on the extra cost.

At Sheffield, most of the rooms are en-suite, and cost £109 a week. The shared bathroom rooms are £91 a week.

For a 42 week contract, overall this makes for a difference of £767 for the whole year, and with a much larger desk and more storage space, and with more modern facilities in the en-suite accommodation, as well as a larger kitchen/living area pp, this is a price I am definitely willing to pay!
Reply 473
Original post by dmccririck
Everybody is seriously over-exaggerating on the extra cost.

At Sheffield, most of the rooms are en-suite, and cost £109 a week. The shared bathroom rooms are £91 a week.

For a 42 week contract, overall this makes for a difference of £767 for the whole year, and with a much larger desk and more storage space, and with more modern facilities in the en-suite accommodation, as well as a larger kitchen/living area pp, this is a price I am definitely willing to pay!

A lot of rooms don't give you any extra space for having an en-suite though, so that's not much of a point. In some rooms you even get less space, as the total floor plan of the room is very similar between normal and en-suite rooms, but the en-suites have to fit the bathroom in too!

I don't think anyone's exaggerated the cost, they're just stated what the costs are. £20 a week is a pretty big cost to save yourself a few seconds walk.
Reply 474
I think so.
Reply 475
I would love to have en suite but just can't afford it.
Original post by Dan1909
A lot of rooms don't give you any extra space for having an en-suite though, so that's not much of a point. In some rooms you even get less space, as the total floor plan of the room is very similar between normal and en-suite rooms, but the en-suites have to fit the bathroom in too!

I don't think anyone's exaggerated the cost, they're just stated what the costs are. £20 a week is a pretty big cost to save yourself a few seconds walk.

Spending £20 a week more not only saves you that few seconds walk, but it also gives you more privacy, more hygiene... and avoids: frequent long waits for someone to finish using the shower/toilets, having to contend with loads of hair remaining in the shower plug hole, blame over who blocked up the shower/toilet, having to drag all your shower stuff over there, having to smell someones humper-dumper after they've used the toilet, if either breaks the whole flat is *****... yeh I think £20 a week is worth it :wink:
Spending £20 a week more not only saves you that few seconds walk, but it also gives you more privacy, more hygiene... and avoids: frequent long waits for someone to finish using the shower/toilets, having to contend with loads of hair remaining in the shower plug hole, blame over who blocked up the shower/toilet, having to drag all your shower stuff over there, having to smell someones humper-dumper after they've used the toilet, if either breaks the whole flat is *****... yeh I think £20 a week is worth it :wink:

Tbh most people say they never have to wait to use the shower/toilet and shared bathrooms generally get cleaned often enough by cleaners to be alright. And ensuiters will have to buy their own cleaning products for the bathroom so that's a bit more cost. And the 'dragging your shower stuff' over sounds a bit dramatic! Don't mean to be picking you apart, just saying :smile:
Original post by takethyfacehence
Tbh most people say they never have to wait to use the shower/toilet and shared bathrooms generally get cleaned often enough by cleaners to be alright. And ensuiters will have to buy their own cleaning products for the bathroom so that's a bit more cost. And the 'dragging your shower stuff' over sounds a bit dramatic! Don't mean to be picking you apart, just saying :smile:

Well tbf I think I over-dramatised my little rant :P

Meh, I can only draw from what I've seen at Sheffield uni where there's only 1 shower/toilet between 8 people, and the en-suite rooms have nicer deco and have larger desks, and more storage space... plus a cleaner comes once a week and does the bathrooms....... and in en-suite flats the kitchen and living area is bigger. Hence I still think £20 extra is worth it, at least at Sheffield. :colondollar:
Well tbf I think I over-dramatised my little rant :P

Meh, I can only draw from what I've seen at Sheffield uni where there's only 1 shower/toilet between 8 people, and the en-suite rooms have nicer deco and have larger desks, and more storage space... plus a cleaner comes once a week and does the bathrooms....... and in en-suite flats the kitchen and living area is bigger. Hence I still think £20 extra is worth it, at least at Sheffield. :colondollar:

Fair do's dude, I'm just hoping I get the accommodation I want at Manchester (which is shared bathroom) that I've applied for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending